T Nation

Trying and Failing to Learn Olympic Lifts

I have a mostly power lifting background. Most of my workouts are centered around that type of lift. I don’t do meets or anything. I have been attempting to learn some Olympic lifts…but I think I suck at it. I’ve watched lots of videos and I thought I could teach myself…but no. I have been unable to find a coach in my area (northern va) so far. Can anyone suggest a good book or even an online coach (debatable, I know, but might be better than nothing)?

You can’t really beat having a coach, athletes who have been lifting for a decade get constant feedback. Even coaches are usually coached. Have you done a search for coaches via the lifting governing bodies in your area?

Failing that, Wil Fleming is a great coach who does both video and live video (not sure how great that would be, perhaps if you have a HD camera and a super fast internet connection) coaching.

It ain’t cheap though. I used to do Oly lifting for 500$ per year. That got me a coach who looked after me and 5 others plus access to (high quality) equipment. That would get you 3 months with Wil and I’m not sure how many vids he’d look at.

Check out Greg Everett’s book. I haven’t read it but it’s popular among the Olympic WL nerds. His site has some good training programs.

Also, both wlforums and here to some extent can do some video critique.

[quote]tsantos wrote:
You can’t really beat having a coach, athletes who have been lifting for a decade get constant feedback. Even coaches are usually coached. Have you done a search for coaches via the lifting governing bodies in your area?

Failing that, Wil Fleming is a great coach who does both video and live video (not sure how great that would be, perhaps if you have a HD camera and a super fast internet connection) coaching.

It ain’t cheap though. I used to do Oly lifting for 500$ per year. That got me a coach who looked after me and 5 others plus access to (high quality) equipment. That would get you 3 months with Wil and I’m not sure how many vids he’d look at.[/quote]
I hadn’t done a search through the actual governing bodies. I’m currently looking to see who those are.

So it was $500 a year for basically unlimited gym/coach access?

[quote]drewc64 wrote:
Check out Greg Everett’s book. I haven’t read it but it’s popular among the Olympic WL nerds. His site has some good training programs.

Also, both wlforums and here to some extent can do some video critique.[/quote]

I have been doing some reading on Greg Everett since I saw your post…seems like good stuff…thanks!

[quote]Careym13 wrote:

So it was $500 a year for basically unlimited gym/coach access?[/quote]

5-9pm weekdays, 9-12 weekends

Crossfit boxes have driven prices up now though

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]Careym13 wrote:

So it was $500 a year for basically unlimited gym/coach access?[/quote]

5-9pm weekdays, 9-12 weekends

Crossfit boxes have driven prices up now though
[/quote]
Yeah I’ve looked into a couple boxes that also do Oly lifting/coaching but they are wicked expensive.