T Nation

Truvia

HOLY SHIT.

I just discovered this shit! and wow finally a sweetener that doesn’t taste like shit to me like splenda. Uh anyone know of any health issues discovered from this sweetener or is it too new?

Taken From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truvia

Stevia is fantastic to take. It is a miracle. It will unleash the power of split h2O - cold fission. Put that in your water and it’ll get all soap out of your water and all of the toxins and youll have split h2O

[quote]anime wrote:
Stevia is fantastic to take. It is a miracle. It will unleash the power of split h2O - cold fission. Put that in your water and it’ll get all soap out of your water and all of the toxins and youll have split h2O[/quote]
LOL, how have I never heard about this miracle?

Most stevia does not taste quite like Truvia. Typically some degree of a bitter note is present.

Truvia has the quite-sugar-like taste that it does most likely on account of the “natural flavors” included, which probably includes or is at least one a bitter-blocker. Assuming (I don’t know it’s the case) that the bitter blocker is thaumatin, that also is a safe natural material.

Bill, out of curiousity, is there an artificial sweetener that you feel is safer than the rest? There is a lot of fear mongering out there regarding artificial sweeteners but its hard to discern what is true and what is crap.

[quote]cally wrote:
Bill, out of curiousity, is there an artificial sweetener that you feel is safer than the rest? There is a lot of fear mongering out there regarding artificial sweeteners but its hard to discern what is true and what is crap. [/quote]

You must have missed the video I posted above that proves Stevia as a super element which would therefor make it the best sweetener. Just ignore the part where Mr. Quinn claims he has discovered cold fusion as I think he was having a mild stroke.

[quote]cally wrote:
Bill, out of curiousity, is there an artificial sweetener that you feel is safer than the rest? There is a lot of fear mongering out there regarding artificial sweeteners but its hard to discern what is true and what is crap. [/quote]
Agreed, there is a lot out there which seems very dubious and certainly isn’t rigorously supported, or anything like it.

I really doubt any of the claims of promoting brain cancer, and so forth, and the stuff along the lines of “chlorine is a chemical warfare gas and sucralose contains chlorine” is entirely meritless.

However, some are clearly quite convinced that they personally experience adverse effects from aspartame, so it certainly makes sense that they would avoid it.

Sucralose, I really doubt there is any issue with.

Stevia, I don’t see any reason at all to find an issue with. If anything, stevioside, one of the components of stevia, may (may) even have value in improving insulin sensitivity. That’s just an aside for the sake of being moderately interesting, as I doubt that the effect will be a major cure for anybody, and many products, including Truvia, “purify” out the stevioside anyway in favor of Reb A, another component which, apparently, does not share that property.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Most stevia does not taste quite like Truvia. Typically some degree of a bitter note is present.

Truvia has the quite-sugar-like taste that it does most likely on account of the “natural flavors” included, which probably includes or is at least one a bitter-blocker. Assuming (I don’t know it’s the case) that the bitter blocker is thaumatin, that also is a safe natural material.[/quote]

Could the erythritol contained in the mixture be providing at least some of the masking of bitterness?

[quote]xxxx wrote:

Truvia has the quite-sugar-like taste that it does most likely on account of the “natural flavors” included, which probably includes or is at least one a bitter-blocker. Assuming (I don’t know it’s the case) that the bitter blocker is thaumatin, that also is a safe natural material.[/quote]

Could the erythritol contained in the mixture be providing at least some of the masking of bitterness?[/quote]

That was my first thought also, that this was the method, but on experimentation it proved mostly not so: 98% Reb A combined with erythritol tasted much more like Reb A alone than like Truvia.

The principal reason for the erythritol is probably to provide bulk.

There may also be the effect you describe of at least some masking of bitterness, but not the greater part of it: in the presence of carbohydrates in general inclusive of sugars and maltodextrin, bitterness of stevia is reportedly reduced. I didn’t notice much with the erythritol, a sugar alcohol, but perhaps there is some effect there.

Bill Roberts: Nice to see you posting again! Can you please explain the MOA of split h2O cold fission and how it gets you ripped in 2 weeks?

Could you please give an account on your opinion of split h2o? But do not be mean. I understand it may not be mainstream “scicenc,” but then again, what is? It’s different for everyone as each body is unique.

Thank you for the kind words!

I would hate to disclose the secret chemistry behind this fellow’s discovery of converting ordinary water into pure water while simultaneously creating valuable soap, thereby ruining his one shot of becoming rich and famous.

But that said, stevia does “suds” rather badly in a blender, or sometimes even in a shaker bottle, most likely from having both hydrophilic and hydrophobic portions to the molecules, thus possible allowing formation of micelles. Hopefully that won’t be so much detail as to ruin his business plan.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]cally wrote:

You must have missed the video I posted above that proves Stevia as a super element which would therefor make it the best sweetener. Just ignore the part where Mr. Quinn claims he has discovered cold fusion as I think he was having a mild stroke. [/quote]

You’ll have to excuse me for not taking that guys claims as scientific and truthful haha

[quote]cally wrote:
Agreed, there is a lot out there which seems very dubious and certainly isn’t rigorously supported, or anything like it.

I really doubt any of the claims of promoting brain cancer, and so forth, and the stuff along the lines of “chlorine is a chemical warfare gas and sucralose contains chlorine” is entirely meritless.

However, some are clearly quite convinced that they personally experience adverse effects from aspartame, so it certainly makes sense that they would avoid it.

Sucralose, I really doubt there is any issue with.

Stevia, I don’t see any reason at all to find an issue with. If anything, stevioside, one of the components of stevia, may (may) even have value in improving insulin sensitivity. That’s just an aside for the sake of being moderately interesting, as I doubt that the effect will be a major cure for anybody, and many products, including Truvia, “purify” out the stevioside anyway in favor of Reb A, another component which, apparently, does not share that property.
[/quote]

Appreciate your input greatly Bill, thanks

You’re very welcome!

Save yourself some money and go buy Kal stevia right now. It’s on sale too, lucky bastard, I just bought some. I promise you that you won’t regret it. It also mixes really easily into cold stuff with a shake, unlike truvia. Lastly, it tastes just as good.

http://www.amazon.com/Kal-Pure-Stevia-Extract-Powder/dp/B000VRSR84 I use about 40 packs/week of truvia (heavy coffee drinker) but the small 1.5 oz of Kal lasted me for about 2 months. The 3.5oz bottle should last a long damn time.

Just be careful, it’s the stevia extract, a pinch of it is enough to sweeten coffee, so go slow as you add it.

All artificial sweeteners are artifecal in my book; a shit-sandwich for your organs. Stevia, on the other hand, is made from a plant — a totally natural source and therefore a LEGIT calorie-free sweetener. If it’s green it’s good! (yep, a 420 plug)

You prolly won’t get fat from eating agave in moderation either. It absorbs very slowly so the insulin response is marginal. I use the stuff on protein pancakes ALL THE TIME (seriously five days a week) with hardly a noticeable impact to body comp. And I’ve gone through bottles of the shit over the months. Of course everyone’s biological response, routine, training intensity et al. varies but the point is to not be afraid of trying it if you haven’t already. It’s great shit! You can also reduce it’s impact even more by consuming almonds (whole or powder) with simple carbs to help slow and moderate their entry into the bloodstream!

[quote]Die Tryin wrote:
All artificial sweeteners are artifecal in my book; a shit-sandwich for your organs. Stevia, on the other hand, is made from a plant — a totally natural source and therefore a LEGIT calorie-free sweetener. If it’s green it’s good! (yep, a 420 plug)

You prolly won’t get fat from eating agave in moderation either. It absorbs very slowly so the insulin response is marginal. I use the stuff on protein pancakes ALL THE TIME (seriously five days a week) with hardly a noticeable impact to body comp. And I’ve gone through bottles of the shit over the months. Of course everyone’s biological response, routine, training intensity et al. varies but the point is to not be afraid of trying it if you haven’t already. It’s great shit! You can also reduce it’s impact even more by consuming almonds (whole or powder) with simple carbs to help slow and moderate their entry into the bloodstream![/quote]

Lol…