Trump: The Second Year

And where I live that teacher needs to get a master’s degree at some point. So now you are working, paying off school debt, while having to pay for school all over again.

3 Likes

@anon71262119 and @Aragorn:

I agree with what has been written…but we still can’t discount the effect of the almost algorithmic pace of Technological Advances; that eliminated almost complete categories of well-paying jobs; that were not replaced with equivalent paying ones. It’s been staggering.

I was looking at an episode of “The Twilight Zone” the other day. (Stay with me now!). It was centered around an Accounting Firm office that must have had 30 or more people in it. (This was set I guess in the early sixties). A software program or app that someone can download with the tap of a screen can eliminate the work done by that whole office, and perhaps the majority of that firm.

And it’s well documented what automation has done to well-paying jobs from auto manufacturing to the production of steel.

As Puff said; I have no real answers; but this pace of Technological Advancement is only accelerating. Heck…even McDonald’s is moving more and more to ordering “Kiosk” in order to cut down on the number of people required to work per shift.

3 Likes

And what will all of this mean for people as far as our social skills go? People worried about 1984 but the real danger is Brave New World.

2 Likes

It’s cool to watch old movies and see how things used to run.

Fun stuff like dudes in the elevator to push bottoms the for you. Or actual models strutting around to show off clothes at department stores.

1 Like

You made me think of another one that changed with Technological Advancement, @FlatsFarmer…the large number of individuals whom were employed at switchboards in order to connect phones; not only in small offices buildings…but in citywide and regional “Switching Centers”. Even a small office building could employ a whole room full of people.

1 Like

And how your job pretty much was the central part of your identity.

You were a tailor, a miner or a blacksmith. That’s it. No “where do you see yourself in five years” bullshit.

2 Likes

I always thought Brave New World was scarier.

Not as ominous, but scarier in a grand sense.

1 Like

Mufasa,

Agreed. Wages will ALWAYS lag behind productivity because of the rate of technology advancements. This doesn’t mean it’s not a problem, just that it’s much more complex than the “YOU TERRIBLE EVIL GREEDY CEOS!!1!”.

Barring some sort of EMP apocalypse or Butlerian jihad technology is going to continue its exponential increase.

Are today’s lagging wages evidence that Trickle Down Economics don’t work?

3 Likes

Even “factory work” as something to take pride in. Not working as some drone on a conveyer belt, but Part of Ford or U.S. Steel. A member of a huge, important, powerful organisation.

Trickle down economics works perfectly. If you’re the one doing the trickling. The evidence is every single year since the phrase was coined lol

1 Like

He who controls the spice controls the universe.

5 Likes

Are wages lagging or normalizing as globalization takes hold? The US was the only game in town post WW2. That’s far from the case now.

1 Like

Given how inflation hasn’t stopped yet wages have, I’m not sure if a better word for this exists.

I’d say normalizing if prices were also ‘normalizing,’ but they aren’t.

Valid. Lagging wages here, wages increasing somewhere else.

a38937712a21ac7a7f97022816dbaf4a

Walk without rhythm, and you won’t attract a worm.

3 Likes

Nah, just hop on and give em a ride

1 Like

Accounting%20Office%20of%20the%2050's

Accounting Office of the 50’s and 60’s.

smh