Trump: The Second Year

Looks like things are just heating up for Paulie boy

Already more jailtime than the entire Benghazi investigation? BRB family time

1 Like

Just…just no.

I mean, ok fine the UN is political. But no matter what the political reality, having a seat on the damn council is an important status to maintain if for no other reason than a symbol of our leadership.

You obviously haven’t seen the plans for how great this wall is gonna be. It’s gonna be hyuuuuuuuuge.

1 Like

I really feel like banging my head against the wall a lot of days after seeing news like this.

2 Likes

And lets provide a warm welcome for the newest members of the UNHRC, the Democratic Republic of Congo!

Membership just became the new NPP.

Before we get carried away with selective outrage, the Trump administration voted for electing Saudi Arabia into the UN Women’s rights commission. You know, stoning for adultery, can’t leave without a guardian, rape is impossible ISIS sponsoring country.

Edit: Not defending DRC because it’s one of the worst hellholes in the world, but it’s not exactly a functioning state, the central government doesn’t hold much sway over the vast countryside, and it’s territory in the outskirts is a lawless wasteland used as the battlefield for regional powers vying for supremacy, including the “Israel of Africa” Rwanda.

I’m with Haley on this one…

(Are you kidding??? The “Democratic” Republic of the Congo???)

“When a so-called human rights council cannot bring itself to address the massive abuses in Venezuela and Iran; and it welcomes the Democratic Republic of Congo as a new member; the council ceases to be worthy of its name,” the ambassador said.

Haley also pointed to the continued existence of “agenda item 7”, a permanent fixture on the schedule, exclusively devoted to the discussion of rights violations in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Sometimes a leader has to say “enough is enough”…

4 Likes

(Trump never let’s me down…)

Let me guess, Loppar…the DRC is an active member of UNICEF? (sarcasm meant)…

I try not too but that piece of low hanging fruit was just too juicy.

To be clear I think that the entire construct is a hierarchy of funny hats staffed by pompous dimwits that actually believe finger wagging is an acceptable deterrent for genocide.

Now I just need to sit back and wait for Bismarck to call me dumb and unappreciative of the :laughing:nuanced art of international politics.

1 Like

Hell just got a little colder. Though I agree.

As a counter point, what do we expect the UN to do when a nation starts slaughtering their own people? Should NATO/UN invade every place with a homicidal dictator? That hasn’t gone well lately.

I realize drawing the line at allowing the DRC onto the council is laughable.

1 Like

Indeed it did…

Because there is someone in Trump’s Administration who has lasted longer than 6 weeks…

1 Like

Completely block their trade routes outside the country imo

Depending on the country it’d probably be more cost effective to suicide the current regime…

Well if Putin’s offering up his suicide package I say we jump on it instead. Think we can get the friend of a friend discount?

1 Like

UN

Can anyone tell me whose brilliant idea it was to put Soldiers in the middle of War Zones…donning Bright Blue Helmets; emblazoned with a bright white “UN” on the side???

Why stop there?

Why not put a target on their backs, with the words “Shoot Me” in Florescent Orange?

2 Likes

Go to war with it. Duh. There’s no problem that war can’t fix. Sometimes, you have to kill people to keep them from being killed.

Because fanny packs would make the snipers laugh too hard?

I know exactly how two-faced the UN is. I actually agree with Haley’s statement whole heartedly, and having the DRC and Sauds in positions to vote on human rights/womens issues is beyond asinine.

BUT here’s where I disagree. My beef isn’t with the substance of the statement, it’s with our behavior in publically pulling out of world leadership roles for what I perceive as a egotistic grandstanding opportunity. It feels a lot like “taking your ball and going home”

Maybe I’d feel different if this was the first and only instance–say for example if we hadn’t just traded completely stupid political trash talk barbs with CANADA and our other allies, started a trade war with the known world, Trump hadn’t voiced wishes that our generals would “sit up and listen when he talks” like Kim Jongs (admiration for a crazy ass dictator you just met with?? He’s a good guy, I’m sure), voiced opinions that journalists would be silenced, pulled out of the Paris Accords, or anything else.

In that world, pulling out of the UN HRC would be a move that had some significance to me as a political protest or statement of discontent. But in the current world, it seems a lot more empty and petty, and frustrating as we alienate our allies.

3 Likes

Exactly. For all skepticism displayed by @SkyzykS, all those supposedly pointless entities have some purpose behind all those budget meetings and wasteful spending - they keep the communication lines open. This is tacit acceptance that for one reason or another you have been outmaneuvered in this specific international arena.

For example, the Helsinki Accords chapters about human rights abuses two decades after signing bit the Soviet Union in the ass with unintended international and legal ramifications, despite the “ha, ha, we’ve got nukes and we don’t give a fuck” posturing displayed by the Soviets earlier.

1 Like