Trump: The Second Year

Lucky bastards. I’m based on “get your damn job done” hours per week.

3 Likes

Sorry, that was his gross, and he might have been at $10.50. Either way, he had the pay stub to prove it.

Believe it or not, some places will let you work unlimited over time. In the same place I worked mandatory 60’s for almost 2 years straight, and one division there (large manufacturing type plant) was on mandatory 12’s 7 days a week to meet production demands until the state stepped in. All you had to do for doubles was say “Me” to the div. supervisor when he asked “Who wants a double?!?” every day at start of shift.

Which makes you the real lucky one. Hourly people love hearing that phrase. And being above the ‘hour tracking’ salary requirement means you’re beating like, what, 80% of the country? ; P

At $10.50 an hour, you’d only need 150 hours a week to net 80k in a year. You might want to make sure he wasn’t related to the payroll guy/gal. Sounds like you know an embezzler ; )

Sure, some will. Vast majority won’t.

We have a steel place nearby that will give you basically unlimited OT and they proudly brag about it. Only problem is unless you’re a male between 18-45 (and let’s be honest, 45 in generous in 'murica) chances are you’re going to burn out on this job in the first month. I’ve known some people while in college that would work there over summer and just burn through OT for like a month and it funds their drinking for the entire year.

Another thing to note, is that the industries that are heavy on minimum wage labor TYPICALLY aren’t offering OT beyond the standard couple hours if necessary. It’s just bad for business. A sure sign of a shitty run business is one with a ton of employees working a lot of OT.

edit: editing to unsmiley those things. they’re just so obnoxiously large

Absolutely agree. The place was a meat grinder of people getting de-limbed and literally pulverized. The pay wasn’t bad for skilled workers, but the conditions were ridiculous. One candidate for Worlds Dumbest was the guy we had to put out, that didn’t realize he was on fire because he was so slapped up on Opana.

My first year out of college I had 6 jobs (sequentially, not simultaneously). My second-shortest gig was two days spent at a transfer site on the Mississippi River. We unloaded raw goods (coal, grain, etc) from river barges, and subsequently loaded it onto barges capable of going out into the Gulf of Mexico and beyond.

Anyway, here’s the part I wanted to bring up. Their set-up was 7 on/7 off, 12 hours/day. So, 84 hours/week, every other week. But, while the workers put in 7 12-hr shifts Monday through Sunday, the company deemed that their official ‘work week’ ran Thursday through Wednesday. Thus, rather than earning 44 hours of overtime/work week, workers only got 8 hours overtime every other work-week. That was just one of several reasons I quit after two days. I’ve always wondered: Was that ‘actual vs administrative’ work week set-up legal?

It varies state to state, but to my knowledge, Sure if its a 2 week pay period. I’ve actually heard of that same or similar arrangement from the deck hands when they’d drop off and pick up their coal barges.

Long callback to previous conversations, but its that type of thinking and use of loopholes that gave me the impression that Trump would be someone that absolutely pushes the boundaries of legality, and will most likely break them. It doesn’t matter if something is ethically right or wrong. What matters is whether or not its legal or you can get away with it.

I don’t see why one would expect massive overtime for working 42 hours/week over a two week period. In many ways the 7 12s, 7 off schedule is better than 9 to 5, 5 days a week.

These days it’s not legal in most states to manipulate the “work week” like that, but iirc it’s still allowed in a few. CA is an example of gray lines.

Because the law was wrote that OT has nothing to do with a 2 week period, but rather a 1 week period? The only reason to not expect massive OT for working 84 hours in 1 week when the law prescribes OT=weekly calc is by not understanding how OT works.

Maybe… what’s the 80% club entail?

I also worked at Walmart for 2.5 years making minimum wage, while I lived in my car… What would of gone to rent paid off my college tuition. 2.5 years of suffering has given me the last 8 years of cozier living.

2 Likes

If the people making minimum wage in NYC should move, then who in NYC is going to work those min wage jobs?

1 Like

There are many and varied arrangements for OT and holiday pay, even within a company. Through out the 27 odd years that I’ve officially been in the work world, I’ve seen everything from what ED described (which is kind of harsh if not properly explained, and it never is) to anything over 8= OT. In fact, I had 2 of those last year. With 12 hr. days you get 8 regular and 4 over no matter how many hours worked. Some even have a sliding scale that goes beyond that, like double over for 16+ etc. Things have tightened up a lot though in recent years.

My favorite schedule was 4 tens on mid shift. Leaving at 1:30 am Friday morning and not coming back till Monday at 3:00 felt like having almost half a week off.

I’ve always worked basic Monday-Friday daylight hours jobs (generally about 7AM-5PM of late).

Until recently, the only days off I took were generally part of extended holidays or the occasional 3-day weekend.

This week, I took a random Tuesday off because I needed to be home for a contractor to come do some repairs (we had a burst pipe in the garage a few weeks ago). It was…amazing. Totally made the week go by faster, lol. I might start taking midweek days off every month or two.

5 Likes

Thats like a snow day! Sounds like that cold snap got you, huh?

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter. Maybe someone will stay and work them. Maybe the wages will go up. Maybe the companies will go out of business. The market will sort it out. Staying in NYC and complaining about low wages and high cost of living when you move somewhere else is nonsensical.

Frankly, I’m not positive what the law says on the subject. But 12 hours a day for a week followed by a week off is probably preferred by a lot of people over other schedules that split the work over two weeks. Would you prefer 6 hours a day every day? 12 hours every other day? I suspect the schedule was the way it was because employees preferred it to other options. It’s not like the company had a motivation to do 7 on 7 off vs. 1 on 1 off other than if the employees wanted it.

Assuming the schedule and overtime situation was communicated up front, I don’t see this as shenanigans against the employees.

True, but the cost of living is much higher. You run into the same issues. How far can you stretch $26K (really less after taxes) in New York City? Will it cover the essentials? I donno.

Where can you find housing for $310/month?

I’m really confused, lol, because it sounded like you are arguing the minimum wage is enough for a “bare subsistence level”.

I don’t think the federal minimum wage or most state minimum wages = a “living wage” as I would define it.

However, I also think there should be no federal minimum wage…

I know of a similar situation; except, he broke six figures. Lots and lots of over and double time, lol.

Not if he’s working 1.5 and double time.

Some ONE will work THEM?

So people should move from where there are many jobs, NYC, to somewhere the cost of living is lower but might not have jobs?

You guys have to remember that in this example we’re talking about unskilled labor on the river. Before 9/11 many deckhands and laborers at landings and dredges were either felons or people who couldn’t hold down other work. It’s usually really difficult work in harsh conditions and it doesn’t pay well.

Also it is very standard for boat crews to be 7 days on 7 days off at a landing or if it’s a “line boat” (long haul at 3mph) they’ll do 3 weeks on 2 weeks off or something like that. This is obviously because you can’t go home every night if your on a toe boat shoving down the Mississippi.

Most of these places when the landing crews hear that the deckhands and pilots get whole weeks off at a time, they want that too. Plus it makes it easier for HR to handle everyone the same. My guess is that’s why @EyeDentist company had him on that schedule.

You were wise to get out of that track ED. Decking/landing work is no fun. The only way it’s worth it is if you can stick it out for 3 years as a deckhand on a boat you can get into the striker pilot program. Riverboat pilots/captains make $500-> $750 per day depending on the company and the job.

1 Like

You’ve set up a false choice. NYC unemployment is actually higher than unemployment in many lower cost areas. It’s not easier to get a job there than in other US cities.

Is unemployment higher because of a lack of jobs or because people don’t want to work?