Trump: The Second Year

Oh hell if I know. I think we lost before the trade war even started. You can’t ego your way through international economies ala Trump. At least not that I’ve ever seen.

Theoretically, it would look like IP agreements that China holds to and maybe some type of import/export deal? But since China can obviously just take a knee and run out Trump’s control it’s less than likely imo.

1 Like

Trump is the one voicing to fight this fight. He is giving a voice to it. Don’t get sidetracked with Oh he isn’t is really doing anything of substance or He used foreign labor. No, he is one of the very few voicing that we won’t survive as a 100% consumption based society.
How could we?
On a micro level, how long could the fury family thrive not producing, but merely living off of the swell inheritance from the forefathers? Nations are not one iota different. In the long term, you must produce something valued by others and not outspend your income.

Not only is Trump not the brightest guy to ever voice that, but voicing it is completely and utterly useless if you go on to lose the trade war. Nobody gives a shit about his intentions if he loses.

I’m not debating that we can’t consume forever. I just don’t think Trump’s ego driven trade war accomplishes that. He hasn’t done ANYTHING but encourage more consumption. If he was trying to cut costs AND level the playing field with China I would absolutely understand what you’re saying.

But in reality we have a guy who expects the entire regional culture of Asia to fall in line with American consumerism, when you yourself have said and demonstrated that focusing on that is a horrible long term strategy.

Why would China shift to consumerism? Your own accounts it’s unsustainable, and all they have to do is wait out Trump’s pressure from his people. You can’t drown farmers in extra welfare forever.

1 Like

So anyone want to start making predictions on some of these senate races?

A handful are too close to call.

1 Like

Moving from production to consumption is a natural progression - see every society ever.

We are the consumer. We have the power.

Go in your closets and count the number of shirts your family owns (all will be foreign made).
You telling me your family of 4 needs those 250 shirts? You have to have them and must have even more this month?

WE ARE THE EMPLOYER!

There is a very large difference between consumption and American consumption. China already beats every other country on the planet but us in absolute consumption, right?

We only have the power if we’re willing to stomach the short term pains of a trade war. Which has never been the case. Americans don’t sacrifice unless forced.

See above. Being the employer doesn’t matter if you don’t have the balls to fire your employees.

Other countries can pick up the slack on our consumer demand if China was out of the picture. Some would gladly step in.

China would suffer a tremendous collapse if we dropped out of theirs.

And all we’d have to do is get millions of American to eat the short term heartburn.

Then again, the farmers made it 6 months before we started pouring billions of welfare into them to supplement.

Are you sure you’d want a Chinese collapse?

A guy named Hong Xiuquan convinced himself he’s the younger brother of Jesus and bam, 30 million dead.

Imagine all that destructive force turned outwards, not inwards as was the case in previous collapses in China.

2 Likes

Damn! As a people they need to calm the hell down! 30 million people and no one thought to say “Hey, maybe he’s not the brother of Jesus.”.

2 Likes

I doubt anyone favors a total collapse, including Xi & Co.

So the US should sit and allow the entire world to dump every product they can produce here, while walling ours out?

Or should we just fast forward on to the merchants of the world weeping because the Great Harlot is no more and there is no one to buy their goods. I mean if you already have a 200 million man army and it appears the Euphrates is drying up… why fight it?

The US should stop out consuming it’s paychecks. Then we get back to having real negotiating power.

It has to come from the people. Not the govt

I get it - you are are a believer in laissez-faire economics.
Me too.

Just having a hard time convincing any other country in the world to get the program. Any country.

That’s not the case at all. I believe strongly in govt intervention when it’s necessary and capable. This just isn’t one of those cases.

Which is why the free market is a completely unrealistic style of economy. Just like pure communism. Neither one accounts for human nature.

He seems like a nice enough guy…

So why does listening to Mike Pence make me what to shove a hot wood poker into my eye?

Which statement in particular?

No statement in particular.

Because what he says is simultaneously holier-than-thou, self-serving and hollow.

Because you aren’t a fan of Johnny Quest?

6 Likes

Now that’s funny.