Trump: The First Year

I know you didn’t ask me but it doesn’t truly change the needle much in my opinion. New Jersey and Virgina not Alabama and Idaho. I don’t see this as a game changing election anymore than Republicans winning all those early ones Democrats tried to pick off.

Long way until 2020 and I don’t see this as giving a lot of information towards saying one way or the other who will win

Do you write for Barstool?

Lol, literally just finished reading this.

(Other blogs may be NSFW if you start clicking around. Not my fault if you all get fired.)

No I’ve been out of state on business and haven’t really even paid any attention to it. Just positive it is being overblown.

You’re like me though and are more likely to get some of this shit from a sports blog because of how annoying reading something on a political site actually is. Although deadspins stuff is too left for my taste.

Heard of barstool and know it’s popular but haven’t read it much. Good stuff?

This still rocks though despite me saying that:

From your link

He strikes the right level of condescension and punchable smugness. His line delivery’s a little suspect and his actual wrestling leaves something to be desired, but those can be remedied.

I lost it lol.

I understand and you could be right. But a lot of VA GOP incumbents lost their House seats last night. So while I am not placing bets at this point, I don’t dismiss it as a one-off either.

Republican tidal wave in 2010, Obama decent size electoral victory 2012. I just don’t think we should put too much stock in the results of last night. And I say that as someone who definitely isn’t a trump fan

A lot of this stems from Dems being lazy as fuck and only voting when POTUS is up. IIRC dem turnout numbers are pretty garbage in the midterm elections vs POTUS elections when compared to republicans. I’ll be interested to see if that’s starting to change.

1 Like

@Tyler23…thank you for asking!

I’m pretty much with H on this one…

Without a lot of statistical analysis, but just more of a “feel” for the Political Climate right now…I just don’t see it changing much.

I go back to a Political adage that I truly believe…the one that essentially says voting “against” someone or something is not the same as voting “for” someone or something. While that may even lead to some wins…I just don’t think that they are sustainable wins, and/or ones that indicate a particular change or Political trend.

Also; (as I’ve said many time before)…I firmly believe that it won’t be the Dems that defeat Trump…only Trump will defeat Trump…

2 Likes

Came out to kick ass in 2006 and did so big time. I can’t right now but would be neat to study that difference. I think you are right on the whole though that Republican voters tend to be more consistent. Older voters show up much better than younger ones and I don’t see that trend stopping anytime soon

Well, based on the last year, it’s going to have to be a fuckign doozie of a mistake.

You’re 100% correct.

History says the dems gain ground in 2018 without major turnout changes.

If you add major turnout changes, you’ll see a blue wave that rivals or beats 2010 & 2014.

1 Like

The morning after the 2014 election I couldn’t figure out if Obama wanted to cry or was so pissed he could have strangled a puppy on live TV and laughed the entire time. I think it was the latter to be honest.

Then he pulled some wizard like politico mumbojumbo about “hearing the voices of those that didn’t vote” or something. It was pretty good spin if I remember correctly.

But yeah, D’s typical have a poor showing in midterms. But “I hatez me some trump” could absolutely change that.

You guys are forgetting that presidents ALMOST always get a second term. Trump is acting like a moron and Mueller is going to do his damndest to put Trump in jail… but if the economy is better and more people feel better about the direction of the country. I predict Trump gets a second term.

Also it would help the Dems if they could put up a good candidate. Maybe go to a 17 person clusterfuck primary as opposed to a crooked 1 person primary. What could go wrong? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Blockquote

1 Like

Yep. Generally speaking, people who are retired (or near retirement) have the luxury of spending time on a Tuesday to stand in line (for a few hours if necessary) to vote, whereas young people (low on the work totem-pole; paid hourly, so standing in line costs them $) do not.

The only way to impact that trend is to take the eminently common-sense step of moving election day to the weekend.

1 Like

That could be a tall order since we’re due for a recession (irrespective of Trump).

1 Like

Or even better, voting by mail.

1 Like

If I remember right Republicans are sitting pretty nice for 2018 midterms in the Senate so it might have to be massive turnout to upset that Apple cart

Are you suggesting we don’t stick with the tradition of having it potentially be a cold day in the middle of the week?

Blasphemy. What do you want to do take steps to increase turnout?

1 Like

I think free beer and grilled burgers at the polls would be a great way to increase turnout.

ActivitiesGuy 2020: Change You Can Believe In!

4 Likes

And that is a HUGE “if”…

Sucking air out of the Room about how HRC “rigged, brought and stole” the DNC and eventually the nomination from Bernie is not only getting old…it is getting the DEMS nowhere…

And Warren? Trump would scalp her (pun intended!) and serve her for lunch.

There just appears to not even be some young “up-and-comer” in the pikes…(By the way…it’s a common myth and talking point that the young Senator from Illinois “came from nowhere”. Those who truly follow Politics closely…which is NOT most of us…knew him well).

More importantly…the DEMS simply have no platform or “vision”.

“Anybody but Trump” is not a Platform.

Throw in some kielbasa and sour kraut and you will have revolution!

2 Likes