Trump: The First Year

images (12)

1 Like

I think the senate needs people like them, and they are a good foil for balance. Similar to Cruz. Iā€™m perfectly fine with them in Congress, not so happy about any of them as a POTUS.

Iā€™d put the Paulā€™s in that category too, although would be less nervous about Rand as POTUS than any one else weā€™ve mentioned.

I guess iā€™m fooling myself then.

Care to expand on this?

1 Like

I remember a lot of people around here arguing how voting Trump might be a short-term Republican win but it would hurt the party in the long term. Itā€™ll be interesting if this is the first sign of that. From an article:

3 Likes

Bro, that was just a cover to be a Hillary supporterā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m really not sure how anyone could possibly see it different. Heā€™s not nearly as bad as many paint him to be, but he is toxic as hell. (Which ironically is a lot of his appeal.)

In a lot of ways I do think Obama destroyed the Republican Party, not intentionally mind you (not that heā€™d be ashamed of it either), but what started as a small flame rejecting the spending habits of 43 and those before him, were fanned into full on dumpster fire by 2010. Tea Party types were injected into the party at amazing rates in 2010, and their brand has (and will) had a lingering effect.

Then they ran Romney, were duped by a fantastic debate performance and some shitty polls, and were resoundingly beaten again in 2012ā€¦ More soul searching.

But 2010 & 2014 were historic level ass whippings by Republicans.

So what started as uneasiness with ā€œbushā€™s war spendingā€ and the 08 meltdown while he held the steering wheel turned into a complete confusing disaster when Obama got elected because ā€œshift leftā€.

They canā€™t seem to put any of this together, and canā€™t get any sort of ā€œmessagingā€ going because they are so woefully lost n the culture war. The left controls education, the Legacy Media and entertainment. The right has talk radio and some youtube channels lol.

So in walks an opportunist shitposter and he almost instantly just becomes a living meme for ā€œmiddle finger in the air and my other hand griping my balls.ā€

Trump is a parasite who latched onto a party that was hopelessly without any core leadership or unity.

Where I start to not be able to see any real big picture is the general election though. I mean, I get it, Hillary sucks. But I had zero reservation pulling a dem ballot in the primary to vote for her. She ran a shit campaign and Comey certainly seemed to have no worries about using Weiner to ā€œre-openā€ investigations. But how she loses to a troll, and lets places like Wisconsin flip as much as they did baffles me.

I get why I run from the Contemporary American Left, and donā€™t letter vote D anymore, but my opinions typically are minority opinions lol.

Anyway

I think both sides need to tamp down their respective celebrations and fears as it relates to 2018 based off of last night. The right certainly needs to be nervous, but the Dems also need to slow the roll because a false sense of confidence could kill turnout.

I think a POTUSā€™s party has only gained seats like 3 or 4 times in a midterm since the civil war, and republican majorities are meaningless as far as getting anything passed at this point so I think we should expect the Dems to gain in 2018, and the should gain in 2018.

Itā€™s whether or not they can pull off a reverse 2010 & 2014ā€¦

Personally Iā€™d like to see the makeup by 2020 be the republicans control the House, Dems control the Senate. That way POTUS doesnā€™t really matter, because anything getting on to their desk has compromise in it, and canā€™t be that bad (fingers crossed). Outside of surprise deaths or retirements, that should leave SCOTUS in the balance it currently is.

The GOP seems to be struggling between the Tea Party/Trump faction and the traditional Republicans. It seems to be clear that one of those two will come out on top (but maybe not for a long while). I donā€™t see the same clear line among the Democrats. Sure there are the hard progressive/Bernie supporters, but I canā€™t say the the ā€œother sideā€ is simply traditional Democrats.

So while the dems seem to be all over the map, I think theyā€™ll come up with something that most of the party can gather round. The two sides of the GOP, though, are fighting for the soul of the partyā€¦and thatā€™s a pretty big fight. Iā€™d say the Trumpers took a hit last night.

This is just my sense of things, but Iā€™m probably not explaining it too well. The coffee still hasnā€™t kicked in.

No, you make perfect sense to me.

I could nitpick some parts of your post, but overall I agree. We just are thinking two different things when I said ā€œidentity politicsā€ is all.

The good news here being, now that I better understand were youā€™re coming from, Iā€™m not fooling myself lol.

1 Like

Just read your response to Drew, so yeah, weā€™re thinking along the same lines.

I donā€™t know where youā€™re getting this from. This has never happened ever. /s

1 Like

Saw this posted on Reddit: Breitbart headlines before/after the VA governor race was called for Northam,

7 Likes

Thatā€™s crazy. Prepared no matter what to protect the idea of the narrative they want to push.

Thatā€™s the thing I donā€™t get about the Trump nuthuggers; I hear people talk about him like heā€™s some alpha male but I always thought, and this goes back to when I first saw him on TV in the 80s, that he was a dandy and a bit effeminate. He reacts the way I would expect a teenage girl to react. He then tries way too hard to be ā€œmanlyā€ in a way that makes me think he is hiding something about his sexuality. Not that there is anything wrong with it. But when someone who avoided military service (which I donā€™t judge people on) belittles a combat vet and POW (something that will then make me judge the avoidance of service) I have to wonder how much of a little girl he must be inside. Then add in the ā€œlocker roomā€ talk: why would a grandfather in his 60s feel the need to talk like that with an absolute nobody. What is he compensating for? Maybe the idea of what masculinity is has changed or something. My father did make me watch reruns of Bonanza and Gunsmoke as a kid.

1 Like

Midwest types think hes tuff guy cuz hes loudā€¦ The rest of us from east coast know hes just a big mouth. Hes like my buddy Geno always talkin shit but every bar fight I ever been in he magically disappeared. #sounfair #sad #smalltwitterfingers

Btw yes totally hidding something his tranny hatred seems weirdā€¦he prolly got a unwanted surprise once

1 Like

I think we all have friends like this, and I think thatā€™s part of his appeal.

Itā€™s a crazy time to be alive, if you limit your view of history to the last 45 years.

Itā€™s funny how every other guy from NYC tries to talk like they are John Gotti.

Fat, spoiled from birth, throws everyone around him under the bus constantly, whiny with zero emotional control, crazily narcissistic. Iā€™m not describing millennials that everyone my age up says they hate but the President. If Trump is considered an alpha male then thatā€™s the last thing I would like to be described as.

FWIW I have always thought that phrase was stupid as hell no offense to this site that tosses it out a lot.

If people like Trump as president then thatā€™s one thing but I donā€™t get the idea that people look to him as the epitome of manhood. You even have his critics, the feminist ones at least, referring to his toxic masculinity as if what he represents is masculinity.

Brah, he bangs all the super hot super models brah!!!

1 Like

After going furniture shopping.

1 Like

@Mufasa Curious as to your thinking about 2020 considering the results last night? Youā€™ve said youā€™re expecting 8 years of Trump (although I know youā€™ve poked fun at your prediction track record in the past).

He cant be Alpha he couldnt bust a grape in a food fight. Fake newsā€¦ He doesnt even lift broā€¦or ever
Teenage girls have thicker skinā€¦ Anyone that thinks hes alpha needs to check testosterone levels asap then run to la pharmacia
In regards to chicsā€¦ big deal women love moneyā€¦Sure Id take Melania to pound town and give her best 30seconds of her lifeā€¦but dont be fooled his women arent there for his charm & looks or his tiny hands

1 Like