Trump: The First Year

This is a public admission for a Saudi official. Al-Nusra has copious quantities of US Saudi provided weaponry they’ve allegedly “found” on the battlefield.

A Saudi government source revealed on Thursday that Gulf Arab countries have ramped up their supply of weapons to Syrian rebel groups in response to Russia’s escalating military support of President Bashar al-Assad, adding yet another layer of complexity to the four-year old war.

The unnamed official told the BBC that the groups receiving aid were not affiliated with the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), but included Western-backed groups such as the Free Syrian Army, as well as Jaysh al-Fatah, which has ties to the Al-Qaeda-affiliated Nusra Front.

Not to mention this quote from 2015. But hey, let’s give them more weapons, right?

A classified U.S. State Department cable signed by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton acknowledges, “Donors in Saudi Arabia constitute the most significant source of funding to Sunni terrorist groups worldwide,” and adds, “Saudi Arabia remains a critical financial support base for al-Qa’ida, the Taliban, LeT, and other terrorist groups.”

“Donors in Saudi Arabia…” ie, private citizens not necessarily the government.

1 Like

@anon50325502 post brings out an important points…

Trump and his advisors need to get out of the mindset…and get out of it QUICK…of merely being “anti-Obama” (massive Social Program Cuts/Massive Arms Deals to the Saudis, etc.);or that of “feeding the base”. Otherwise they will find that their policies will yield the complete opposite of the intended effect.

People are all “gung-ho” (NOT a slight on the beloved Corps, usmc!) when they think that it just affects “them” or “those people”.

They will wake up only to find out that they are in fact one of “those people”.

2 Likes

This. This. So much this. I can’t tell you how many people from my old neck of the woods absolutely HATE people on any form of entitlement (mostly because it’s a current day excuse to hate brown people), yet somehow think they’re different while collecting the same entitlements.

My uncle was even one of those mouth breathers that didn’t realize ACA = Obamacare until after the election.

3 Likes

What life is like in a first world country that doesn’t import third world immigrants by the millions

Yes, he campaigned as a non-traditional republican. But as you can see by my list above he has acted very much like a conservative republican. [quote=“pfury, post:427, topic:229190”]
If Trump hadn’t gotten obliterated in the popular vote I’d be more inclined to agree with you
[/quote]

No, you are missing my point. I am not talking about him actually winning. I am talking about him governing as a traditional republican.

Some on this site said that he wouldn’t and the fact of the matter is that he IS and most likely will continue to do so.

Hmm, I wonder if there could be another cause besides “lack of immigrants” for this…

"Japan established its own laws generally prohibiting gun possession in 1958, replacing the Allied directive. Since then, those laws have been amended time and time again restricting access to guns further, especially in the wake of surges of gun-related homicides.

People in Japan can own guns. Outside of law enforcement, members of the public can apply for permits for certain guns used for hunting, competitions and specialized research purposes.

But the process to obtain a permit is incredibly rigorous. As the Washington Post reports, there are several steps needed before someone can legally purchase and own a gun in Japan. Applying for a permit requires completing a class on gun laws and safety and passing a written comprehension test. Applicants must fill out a number of forms that document family background and work. They must have a medical certificate that verifies their mental health. They need to undergo a criminal background check. They must go to a full-day training course that involves instruction on handling, and complete a shooting test. Only after doing all this can someone obtain a three-year permit and purchase a gun."

EDIT: I wish to clarify that I am not particularly anti-gun ownership. I merely post this to explain to raj that “Japan only had one shooting death in 2015” has causes other than “not allowing third world immigrants” - namely, that Japan has much stricter gun laws.

1 Like

If you are implying that if we didn’t have the large number of Mexican illegals that crime would be at a standstill then you do not understand crime in America.

3 Likes

If lack of gun ownership were the reasons for lower crime rates then we would see such lower crime rates in areas where there is are stricter gun laws and it is actually pretty much the opposite of that in America.

1 Like

Swell people

^Reasonable. I just added a brief amendment to my post as you were typing this, so you wouldn’t have seen it. My point was not to be anti-gun ownership (I’m fairly pro-2A) but rather to explain that the statistic on Japan’s low rate of shooting has explanations besides “racial homogeneity.”

2 Likes

I am implying crime is a function of demographics.

Gun control laws in Chicago are some of the strictest in the country.

Why not move there specifically the inner city

In the UK there is very few guns if any, and no shootings as a result of this. Unfortunately they fill mason jars with nails and kill civilians that way.
My point is that people who want to maim and kill will find a way to do so, whether it be by stabbing a police officer with a knife or a shooting.

Actually crime is a function of plenty of things. It’s easy to look at the issue from the “outside” and say crime happens because of “A” or “B” but it is far more complicated than that Raj.

But again, the ONLY thing on the list he’s accomplished is the Conservative SCOTUS appointee.

Personally I’d give the same response to that. If you can point to a republican POTUS any time in history that has governed anything close to the way Trump has thus far, I’d give you 2 high fives and a hug. I’d argue that Trump is going to be responsible for changing “traditional conservatives” and how they govern more so than any event in my lifetime.

Okay, one final time: The following is a list of things that any republican President may have done. This has NOTHING to do with accomplishments per se. Okay? I am simply attempting to point out that Trump ACTS LIKE A REPUBLICAN. Clear?

"Taking inventory so far…Trump appoints a conservative to the SC. He lays down some Tomahawk missiles in Syria. MOAB’s in Afghanistan killing 16 Isis leaders…pushing for lowered tax rates. And now he wants to cut entitlements.

As I have been saying for oh so very long…when someone is elected by a party he will then govern with the party philosophy."

Start arguing because you have an uphill battle. Based on the list above he is very much a republican President. Again…I am talking about what he has done NOT how he acts, or his tweets or the politics of personality that some just can’t get over.

Go ahead…demonstrate to me how he has governed (not what he has said but actually done) differently than other republican Presidents 3 months into his term.

Attempted a Muslim ban
Appointed a cabinet with virtually no politicians or political experience
Revealed another countries classified intel to Russia
Missiles and MOABS instead of boots on the ground

As you have said, “not what he has said but actually done.” If you’re looking at what he’s actually done, “pushing for lowered taxes” and “wants to cut entitlements” is the definition of something of saying something and not actually doing it yet.

I’m also not saying Trump is anything other than a republican (god knows I don’t want to claim him). I’m saying he’s vastly different than a “conventional republican” and has most likely forever changed the landscape of how Republicans will govern.

Zeb,

If I were to give you the demographic breakdown of different neighborhoods in a city without naming the neighborhood how reliably could you predict the crime level (high, medium or low)?