Trump: The First Year

This. A lot of you are giving him way too much credit. The luster, his sheen, is gone. Sure, he has a solid base of support probably in the mid- to high-20% who will never abandon him.

But his “Strong Approval” rating has dropped 12 points over the past month or two. The “new car smell” is gone and, if anything, he is getting worse, not better. By the day. I’m not saying it’s impossible for him to win a second term, but it’s not going to be like the first time around. But fully agreed the dems need to get their shit together, get a message and put out a solid candidate.

2 Likes

That’s part of what I’m saying, T…the DEMS don’t appear to be doing any of that.

While Pelosi and Shumer are shrewd Politicians…(Nance tells Trump to kiss her ass on almost a daily basis…!)…for them to be the current “Standard Bearers” for the party…along with a grumpy old Jew with a lisp…and “Pocahontas”…the DEMS appear to be going in the opposite direction…fast…

And as I said…“Anyone but Trump” didn’t work for the GOP in their last Primaries…and I just don’t see it working for the DEMS.

I also have to agree with what (pfury?) or someone else said earlier in the thread. If Trump gets just one, huge legislative victory…OR he takes the Nation through some crisis (look at the “bump” in the Polls he took by wasting 100 million-plus dollars worth of hardware on an airfield that was operational the next day in Syria)…he will be almost unstoppable.

So what was the “morality component” to Hitler and Stalin invading Poland?

Ah, Donald! One more act of “Defiant Delusion”…

Trump tweeted that “he” is disbanding both the Manufacturing Council & Strategy & Policy Forum…

Reality?

Those CEO’s and business leaders essentially said:

“…Fuck this shit…I’m out…”

1 Like

Oh God, please God no.

Trump may win the next election but nothing will make him close to unstoppable. His ceiling right now is ridiculously low. One could argue as low as it could possibly be this short into his time. A bump in the polls doesn’t put him anywhere in a strong position.

We are looking at a guy who lost the popular vote against the second most unfavorable politician in that spot ever. And he was the most unfavorable.

It’s never wise to bet against the current president but pretty much no argument exists right now where Vegas would put Trump at over 50%.

That’s the problem, H.

The guys proven to defy all odds.

I’m not totally disagreeing with everyone…but a true demagogue is a very, very powerful thing.

Are the Dems really still in such disarray? Doesn’t seem that way to me. Trump is giving the Dems plenty of “focus” as it were.

It’s important to remember, his diehard supports don’t come close to numbering enough to win an election on their own. He still has to improve the economy for blue collar/manufacturing people. When that inevitably doesn’t happen, he keeps bleeding support.

I don’t think it makes him anywhere near unstoppable. It just gives him a chance. You underestimate the amount of damage he’s done to his non diehard base. Guy couldn’t even properly disavow fucking Nazis without walking it back. Nazis.

2 Likes

Invading Poland was a morally bad thing to do.

1 Like

At the gym I workout in we have lively trump discussions. Most there are trump supporters although they have been pretty quiet lately. The one question I ask them all and can never get a straight answer is about his " Make America great again" slogan.
What period of time is he talking about and who was it great for? I get nothing but crickets! I know what the answer is but I like to hear others point of view.

I think the Dems are likely still in disarray but I don’t think it will effect them at the Presidential level as much. Important to remember despite the crushing in losses in the Senate and the House Obama was re-elected.

Democrats still (imo) don’t have a clear message, and clear leaders that people trust. Blows my mind that they are still trotting out someone as hated as Pelosi.

…and I doubt that “bump” was from diehard Trump folks. That really says a lot about the stupidity of the electorate. A lot of “Never Trump” folks really loved that shit.

You know what would guarantee Trump a second term(and mainstream status as one of the greatest Presidents in the history of the United States)? Starting a (hot, shooting)war with Russia instead of a mere cold and/or economic war. 100% guaranteed.

“My friends, I was not intelligent enough, unlike females, minorities, transgender individuals, and Progressive white men, to understand that Putin’s and Russia’s interference in Our Sacred Democratic Electoral Process was the probable cause of my election. I can’t undo that, but I can attempt to make it up to you. We will be reinstituting the draft.” Immediately stop filming and send nuclear bombs Russia’s way.

1 Like

General social survey (whole USA). It only started in 1972, so I would make a WAG and say that the post WW2 boomers->1960’s were even happier.

We have less financial satisfaction than we did in 1972. We work more hours and produce more GDP per capita than anyone on earth… But something is making us feel less prosperous.

If I had to make an unproven assertion I would blame household debt. Savings rates are still near zero and many people don’t make enough to cover debt service. We are a slave to our mortgages, college loans, car loans and c.c. debt. Our junk owns us.

In this instance at least nostalgia is correct. We used to be happier.

householddebtjun10_HCE

f

1 Like

Without a doubt, he’s taking about the days of slavery in the United States. It was great for rich, white men(other than the select few known as “Founding Fathers,” who were forced to grudgingly accept a system they were powerless to change but definitely hated). They spent their days whipping their slaves, and spent their nights having sex(that is, raping) with women who weren’t permitted to deny them.

1 Like

Bingo NickViar! It’s a dog whistle to his alt right base. So basically he is talking about any period when civil rights were weak or non existent. America is at its best when diversity is embraced and he and his base want no part of that. So really the slogan should be changed to “make America white again” which is the true meaning.

1 Like

So 1972 was when we were great? Do you remember the clothes from back then? You wear the bell bottoms; I’ll stick with being non-great.

The man just can’t help himself. CEOs ditch his advisory panels, there’s talk of top admin officials leaving over his recent comments, and a Fox News host cries on air because talking about racism makes her “uncomfortable”.

And we were losing in Vietnam, school busing was a huge issue, watergate was just starting and the band played on.

You quote the 60’s? That goes to part of my question for who?Growing up as a African American in east Texas in the 60’s I can tell you that was not a “great” time for most minorities. We didn’t get any of that trickle down happiness.

Yep. Because a porous border, cartel drugs, globalism, crime and expensive healthcare only hurt white people.

@NickViar was trolling you a bit. Trump never said he wants to bring slavery back. That’s the hyperbole of his opponents.

Remember populism can only work if there’s unrest and dissatisfaction. Trump didn’t cause the unrest, just capitalized on it.

screen-shot-2013-07-16-at-11-59-40-am