Trump: The First 100 Days

I just saw this, and am having a hard time grocking what Trump is trying to accomplish with this. What’s odd is, Trump’s base tends to be very credulous with respect to vaccines; it’s the crunchy granola libs who are the anti-vaccers. (Painting with a broad brush here, obviously.) So he’s not pandering to his base so far as I can see. Anyone have a theory as to what he’s up to? Does he have an anti-vaccer in his family he’s indulging?

3 Likes

It will still be President Obama, EyeDentist…you can count on it!

(I have been curious about how FOX will fill their air time…it should be interesting…!)

Trump is a liberal…

That’s what he’s up to.

Nancy Pelosi still has a job, right?

That is correct, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Yes she does…and THAT is painful, usmc…!

3 Likes

Avoiding reason and diving deeper into the Twitter-troll universe, which includes anti-vaccers.

2 Likes

FTR my main issue with Obama was the Constant race baiting and letting things worsen under his watch in the middle east.

Good rebuttal to the idea that Trumpism will be undone by robots

R.U.R vs. M.A.G.A.: The New York Times suggests that Trumpism is undone by robots:

Donald J. Trump told workers like Ms. Johnson that he would bring back their jobs by clamping down on trade, offshoring and immigration. But economists say the bigger threat to their jobs has been something else: automation.

Sure … but while it may be true that over time automation has been eating up unskilled (and skilled) jobs by the millions, that doesn’t vitiate Trump’s point.

a) For most unskilled jobs shipped offshore (like assembly line work) maybe robots would’ve “eventually eliminated those jobs anyway.” But not for all of them. Call centers, for example, haven’t been completely automated out of existence. Yet they can be (and are) offshored. Bringing them back would bring back some un-robotized jobs.

b) Even if all jobs global trade has sent offshore were instead done by robots, there will still be some unskilled jobs left that have to be performed here. Do we let undocumented immigrants stream into the country to do those jobs more inexpensively? Or do we tell American employers they have to hire from the finite pool of citizens, legal residents, and legal immigrants? “Clamping down on immigration” suddenly becomes more important, not less, as automation makes unskilled jobs less abundant. If stopping outsourcing no longer has much impact (when robots take all the once-outsourced jobs), controlling immigration may be the main lever we have left if we want to tighten the labor market (and raise wages) for the unskilled jobs that remain.

In the not-so-distant future we may even come to regard unskilled jobs as precious assets, to be reserved for our fellow citizens and residents. After all, the alternative for those who can’t easily acquire marketable skills is unemployment or some kind of dignity-sapping dole (e.g. disability, or the much-discussed universal dole, or UBI).

That was sort of a general broadside attack that does not seem to fit your initial normal response. Instead of telling me why Obama is such a great jobs President you claim that he is my “boogeyman”. Hmm, I suppose if I were in your shoes I might say the same thing based upon the abysmal Obama economic record. It is rather difficult to defend.

I think it was John Kerry during the 2004 Presidential campaign who made that line popular: “I was for it before I voted against it.” Yeah…he lost to GW. But we all know that.

Anyway, what I am saying is that when things get desperate then the approach might have to change. As in desperate times call for desperate measures.

So…let’s see if Trump can turn this very sad economy around.

If he does two things will happen:

1. Many Americans will be back to work. Just as importantly they won’t be flipping burgers for minimum wage. (An artificial number the left has forced on business but that’s a different conversation)

2. The left will give him no credit whatsoever and may move to impeach on grounds that he made the previous democrat President look bad :smile:

No? Well…they will certainly be plenty ticked off that Trump is succeeding. And who can blame them right? This is politics first and foremost…right?

Yes I would love for someone to stop pivoting away from the question of explaining why Obama was a good president and just saying "you’ll have no one to blame now that he’s no longer in office "

You must have a short memory Mufasa. Was it not the Obama folks who blamed Bush right into Obama’s second term?

That’s what people do when they have no defense. They assume that things will be just as bad because if a genius like Obama could not succeed how can an idiot like Trump win? Hence, we will not have Obama to blame any longer.

Does any of that help? LOL

Well, it was intended as a light-hearted response to this comment by you, which suggests Obama is the sole cause for what you see as the sorry state of our country:

“I am for free trade but things are getting bad in this country. And certainly solely because of Barack Obama” [emphasis mine]

Now, it has since been pointed out to me that this was probably a typo on your part; ie, that you may have intended to write “…certainly not solely because of Barack Obama.” In which case I wouldn’t have made the (playful) rejoinder I did. Bygones.

You mean, other than pointing out the low unemployment rate?

I’m curious–what’s your operational definition of ‘turning this sad economy around’? That is, which specific economic indicators are going to change direction from where they’re already heading under Obama?

You are mistaken as I said it started before Obama. And I have always maintained that GW Bush let us down. In fact, I know I have posted that I was disappointed with the past two republican Presidents. Don’t get me wrong they were miles ahead of the disaster called Obama. Obama took us downhill quite fast.

So, yes it was a typo, as bad as Obama is he didn’t do it all alone…just a great deal of it.

What happens if we count those who are not looking for work any longer and not included in the unemployment stats? How many are there? Millions I have read. The real unemployment rate probably 10% or higher. And how about the “underemployment rate”? As I mentioned someone may have had a job making a living wage of say 50-k to 65-k and now they are flipping burgers. Welcome to Obama land.

Good question on your part…you always have good questions. And you have many good answers as well. Let me give this some thought

1 Like

My dad and bro in law are still blaming “that damn geo w bush” for world hunger, cancer, and aging, just to balance things out ;7)

How will the black communitaaah react?

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

1 Like

I knew somebody would do something like you just did, raj…

Take something out of context of the WHOLE speech to make some “I TOLD you so!” point that is not true.

Read the whole speech; (which was far from decisive)…in which the President said we should listen to each other.

If you didn’t choose to watch it; or you don’t choose to read it; don’t take out small portions of it to support your own vitriol and divisiveness.

He’s a damn good man…and was a good, (but VERY imperfect) President…

They all are.

I, (and many) Americans will miss him.

3 Likes