Trump: The First 100 Days

I haven’t read it, but the blurb is intriguing, don’t you agree?

Which doesn’t answer my question.

More jobs

I thought manufacturing jobs were lost forever?

Are you under the impression Ford cars are built by hand?

1 Like

I assume there are portions of the car production process that machines can’t do alone?

#FAKENEWS

It’s only fakenews if it’s slandering the GOP or Trump. Get your shit together man. Probably just the Dems drumming up fake articles as a reverse double blind backslide hailmary maneuver.

2 Likes

That is a fact.

Yes of course. I’m not intimately familiar with the process, but car design for sure, engineering, software…etc. But that hardly is a traditional manufacturing job as you are describing it.

“The announcement came as President Donald Trump pushes U.S. and foreign automakers to build factories and add jobs in the U.S. Ford has announced $1.9 billion in investments in Michigan in the past three months, though roughly half of that amount has been planned since 2015.

The great thing about being a President that appeals to the bumble-fucking-idiot population is that all you have to do to feel popular is Tweet that literally everything good that happens in the country is a result of YOU, and bumble-fucking-idiots believe it!

Look, I am happy that good things are happening, but you have to have a little bit of critical thinking skill to realize that many of the moves Trump is taking credit for have been in the works for awhile. This has been explained multiple times over the course of this and other threads (that multi-gazillion dollar businesses do not make multi-billion dollar moves in a few days) but hey, who needs critical thought when you can just go ahead and tweet JOBS JOBS JOBS

3 Likes

This is essentially correct. But we do seem to blame, and give credit, to each President for all of the good and bad that takes place under his watch. Good things are happening and as we look back four years form now it won’t matter who really did what. All that will matter is who was the president when such things happened.

One more point, according to the NSBA and other business groups there is a sharp hike in overall optimism with a business man in the White House and the other guy long gone.

While I agree with your premise there is far more to this than meets the eye when it comes to who gets credit for what.

Ford doubles investment as Trump becomes president. How’s that?

A lot of economics is influenced by outlook. He has promised and delivered heavy roll back of regulations and talked about creating a more business friendly environment.

Question : with Trumps threats towards companies who outsource and praise towards those who import jobs , will this not have major effects on company decisions? A lot of this will be difficult to quantify

I got an idea.

Why don’t you outline criteria as to how we should go about accurately crediting a president for something positive that occurred during their presidency?

For instance I’m sure some portion of the intel that helped lead to the capture and death of Osama Bin Laden was collected during the Bush Presidency. Does that mean we shouldn’t fully credit Obama for capturing him?

My gosh don’t take that away from Obama it’s just about the only thing he did right in 8 years.

Obama (or any POTUS) deserves no more than 1% of the credit for any military accomplishment unless they were quite literally on the ground.

Personally I give way more credit to the men/women that risked their lives for the intel and the kill than any bureaucrat in DC

4 Likes

Do these same people also harbour the blame for military failures as well?

You can arguably view most things carried out by the government at a granular level but it makes it just about impossible to discern anything.

I don’t understand why people who view the world through this prism even bother discussing politics.

A colleague of mine lived in Wichita and had a friend - who not only knew Rader, but whose kids would stay overnights.

Pretty creepy.

Yes. A good leader will take the blame publically ie cover his/her people, but you can bet your ass had the Bin Laden raid failed Panetta and McRaven would have taken the real heat behind closed doors and shit rolls down hill. Especially since they pushed for the raid over a drone strike.

1 Like

It depends entirely on the reason for the failure. If the reason for the failure was the military men/women didn’t perform, I blame them. If the reason for the failure was a bad decision in DC was made, I blame them. Etcetcetc.

Pretty simple stuff. You blame the guy that fucked up.

Well, these things have been happening under Obama, it’s just that Trump is the one who tweets about it. Manufacturing jobs have been returning to the US for the last seven or eight years.

Or do you think that all these major corporations simply changed their five year plans in the last 60 or so days? I know what I’m talking about - it’s literary my job.

And all that is due to China - their manufacturing wages have been growing steadily (here’s a nice comparison with Mexico’s) and moving production to China, as I’ve written here extensively before, is simply no longer an option due to high labor costs (amazing, isn’t it?).

Currently, several countries in Europe such as Portugal have lower manufacturing wages than China but that doesn’t stop car companies from taking massive tax breaks in from politicians in these countries order “not to move production to China”

2 Likes