Trump: The First 100 Days

Then you shouldn’t be on this forum because outside of mathematics almost nothing is black and white.

Private industries cannot build effective products or services on deeply flawed scientific research. when money is guaranteed as it often is with government money, that is not the case. In essence, the government facilitates much of the fuckery that occurs in academia that I mentioned

Ummmmm, okay…

(Okay…where did Zeb go?) (lol!)

Great post, my friend…and I must admit…unexpected!

1 Like

Who logged in under zeb’s account this time?

Mick28, is that you?

ADMIT IT!

1 Like

Have any of you been to a modern art museum lately? It’s 90% degenerate. Here’s one called dyke with a paintbrush. I swear nowadays modern art is mostly an outlet for the more mentally disturbed members of the left

Soooo, the free market got the job done regardless of government financing? Yuh don’t say…

Once again, you’re out of your depth. In general, it is government-sponsored research that is at the vanguard of scientific advancement–not private monies. With a few notable exceptions (eg, Bell Labs), private entities tends to be myopic–if no immediate payoff is foreseeable, they aren’t going to invest.

2 Likes

Private industries will have no problem investing in any and all research that is economically valuable.

All other research that is not will only be conducted if they received charity. Ever heard of Kickstarter?

That’s how an unmolested free market works.

Welcome to my world. Haha.

Talking about very specific policy is the only way we’ll see improvement on this. The trouble is we don’t have the time to really understand every policy issue, so we end up taking sides and defending things we may not really understand. You have a sort of insider’s perspective on the arts since your wife is an opera singer. I really care about land use policies particularly in rural areas, because it’s something I know about in a real world/ real people way. For most things, we’re just looking at catch phrases and teaming up. It’s really problematic.

2 Likes

^^ See this.

That’s what happens when government steps aside. People pay for things they see value in.

The problem is, there are times when the economic value of research cannot be foreseen at the time the research is being contemplated/conducted. Hence the importance in investing in basic research for research’s sake.

That’s how the real world works.

4 Likes

Sounds good to me. So, no federal or state dollars for the border wall. Let’s see the free market generate the $15+ billion needed to build it.

5 Likes

I’d take that ^ over the heaping piles of junk science environment that we currently live in.

So we can do away with the defense budget, then? Surely people will happily pay for something as valuable as defending the homeland.

2 Likes

I agree.

If everyone was given an annual bill for the Iraq war, it would have never taken place or ended very quickly.

Because, like the rest of us, you currently enjoy the benefits of basic-science research that was conducted in absence of foreseeable economic value, I will file this comment under ‘talk is cheap.’

1 Like

You make it sound as though I have a choice.

BRB going to stack up on onions for GAINZ.

I will await raj’s response to this with bated breath.

1 Like

Would a wall even be necessary in the absence of a welfare state and no drug laws?

Arguably not