Trump: Starting Re-Election BID

I love watching a full on meltdown. The world is not black and white. Voting for a politician does not mean you fully support everthing they do or “stand for.” Questioning criticism of a person does not equate with full support of that person. At some point, the posturing needs to stop to allow thought. It’s a shame, but I think these conversations mostly break down to posturing. There is plenty about Trump that I don’t like, but what we are seeing turn into constant campaign season isn’t new with Trump. What I am finding rather amusing though (in a sort of sick and “fuck it the country is screwed anyway” kind of way) is how the Democrats have basically lost their shit over Trump. There have been several very interesting articles and books written that give a hint as to why they are losing, but they can’t get their mind around them (or seem to be even paying them any attention). I remember studying pre-revolutionary Russian history in undergrad and how the urban intelligensia went out with the serfs to “save them” and became frustrated because the serfs weren’t very receptive to their help. Or, how Luther became virulently anti-semitic when his attempts at reform didn’t bring Jews into Christian faith. Both are akin to the arrogance I’m watching now by the Democratic party in respect of working class whites. They simply don’t “get it.”

That will help cause the left to lose. Those who hate Trump still have not grasped that many do like him. And even those who do not still want success for our country and unless Trump himself is impeached over this Russia thing, which will never happen, the public backlash against the democrats will be fierce.

I agree and I would also add there is talk of Bernie Sanders starting his own party. Of course you know that means the end of the democrats chances of regaining power in 2020. And perhaps beyond.

[quote]Russia hasn’t helped Trump and he has record low approval ratings
[/quote]

He had low positives (as did Hillary) before the election…nothing new. And I agree currently the Russia story may not be harming the dems as much. But later on when it is found to be the sham of a story that it is the electorate will punish the dems in a most severe way.

[quote I don’t see how he recovers to a point where most Americans approve of him. He is too polarizing and has been too damaging to so many people for that.[/quote]

Most Americans did not approve of him last time and he won. Only the democrats could possible give him a second term with this inane Russian story. Watch!

But therein lies the democrats problem. Trump is unpopular we agree. And yet the democrats ideas have drifted so far left that they can’t win an election anywhere. Can you imagine what would happen if the republicans actually had a popular President?

You posting this says a great deal I think. How could such a man, so low in popularity win again? We both know how don’t we? The democrats are no longer the party of the working class. They have drifted far to the left and unless they come to their senses (and it doesn’t look likely with the new DNC chef) they are going to lose “bigly” in the mid-terms and as you say Trump could gain a second term.

And to those who said that “Trump doesn’t even want to be President” (not you H) how wrong they were. He not only loves being President as I have been saying. He is cranking it up to run again by continuing the campaigning in key states.

The dems have a real problem on their hands. Losing to the republican party is one thing, losing to Donald Trump (perhaps twice) could spell their demise.

This is something that I totally agree with. My vote for Trump did not mean that I agreed with him (or his antics) on every issue. As I have said many times I supported Marco Rubio. But when I looked at who the alternative was in the general election and what that would mean for the country I had no choice but to vote for Trump.

And as I have said Trump has governed pretty much like any other republican President would have. Oh he doesn’t act like any other republican President…But if we all look at the things that he has done so far he’s pretty much standard republican with only a few differences.

He’s more moderate than standard Republican. He’s playing a populist fiddle and it’s worked remarkably well. I think the anger we are seeing out of the Democratic party is that they simply can’t get their minds around their losses, and don’t want to admit that they’ve failed. That’s not the thinking of a group that wants to win so much as the thinking of a group who is blinded by ideology. I honestly don’t want to see the Republicans completely take over. There are a number of issues I have with the standard Republican platform.

My concerns for the country are largely structural. We have a massive debt, we are seeing the return of civil unrest, and the political rhetoric is more violent than I’ve seen in my lifetime. It may simply be my own stupid optimism about human behavior (which I’m losing as I get older), but I would love to see people start crossing the aisles and work on healthcare reform that covers the vast majority of the population while addressing skyrocking costs, and the issues with illegal immigration and border security. I may be old school, but I strongly believe that national borders and nations continue to be the bedrock of international stability. I see it as sort of a stable individuals lead to stable families, which lead to stable children and stable communities, which lead to stable nations. That is not religious in any way. Not all countries are stable and our values are not universally shared. I’d like to keep this country stable while embracing secularism, gay and minority rights, and basic Constitutional protections. I don’t think we can get there by yelling at each other, nor do I think we can get there when everyone on the internet thinks they have the secret to the best form of government. There are so many issues I have limited knowledge of and a very few in which I have a specialty. Frankly, I don’t even have the time to keep up with every SCOTUS decision. It is up to educated people to lead where they are able, follow where they think they should, debate, and compromise. We stopped educating people how to debate and compromise over the last couple of decades and we are starting to see the results. Maybe I’m ranting here.

1 Like

I agree completely.

1 Like

Mufasa can there be more than one contributing factor?

A man with such low popularity could win because we have a horribly broken system. Partisan politics and party politics have determined that we only get to pick from two people. Whoever the dems run and whoever the republicans run. So Trump can win an election because he only has to beat one person from the other team.

Most of my posts here have been centered on the fact that little differences exist between the two parties. Some people prefer that we keep this going because they hate the other team so much they will defend anything that their team does. It is bad for the country. And yet some of the biggest examples exist on this very board. People who railed against Obama fall silent when Trump does the same thing. The examples here are numerous.

When you only care about Democrats losing no matter what Republicans do (and vice verses) we have lost as a country.

People on here who went nuts over government activity when Obama was in office don’t post when Trump does the same thing. They didn’t like the letter Obama had and they like the letter Trump has. That’s good enough for them. Consistency be damned

1 Like

No one pushes the Russia story like Trump. If he would have let the thing play out already it may be over. He feeds into it constantly and hurts his own stance because he has no emotional control just like with the travel ban. Democrats aren’t pushing the story as much as Trump is. No scenario exists where Trump looks good because of it. The idea that if he doesn’t get impeached it will be a big win for him is crazy. He has done nothing but hurt himself with it all because he can’t keep himself from using twitter.

Really scary. The highest office in the land and a spot where you need to be careful with your words and show real restraint. We put someone in who does neither of those things

2 Likes

Again…I completely agree.

2 Likes

[quote=“H_factor, post:168, topic:231115, full:true”]
A man with such low popularity could win because we have a horribly broken system. Partisan politics and party politics have determined that we only get to pick from two people. Whoever the dems run and whoever the republicans run. So Trump can win an election because he only has to beat one person from the other team.[/quote]

I agree.

Not at all true. Looking just at the Supreme Court Justice pick alone there are outstanding glaring differences between how Trump picked and who Hillary would have picked. In fact, that is one of the major reasons that I voted for Trump. Gorsuch will serve for probably 40 years and make hundreds of decisions that will change our country…for the better. Hillary’s choice would have made those same decisions only not in the best interest of our country imo.

There are gigantic differences between what the democrat party stands for and what the republican party stands for. Those differences matter.

1. Regulations on business

2. Taxes

3. Supreme Court and lower court justice picks

4. Gun rights

5. Abortion

And on and on…if there is to be a third party I am guessing it would be one that embraces social liberalism at the same time it touts fiscal prudence. But given how much money it would take to actually form a third party (Ross Perot kicked in about 2 billion in case and lost twice) I don’t imagine one will be elected any time soon. Even if Bernie does decide to start his own party…it won’t work.

More than one contributing factor to what? The DEMS weakness?

Certainly.

While I may think there is more to the “Russian Issue”; it doesn’t mean crap to Trumps supporters.

I’ll say it again; Trump could be caught on Video torturing puppies while getting blown my a Russian Tranny, and his support wouldn’t waver.

Also; I firmly believe what a political commentator said on Charlie Rose recently…it isn’t that Trump is liked so much…it’s that the Left is hated so much more.

I could not disagree with you more. The dems think that this issue will keep Trump off his game and interfere with his agenda while at the same time going on a fishing expedition hoping to actually indict someone, anyone at this point. They know that the Russia story is a bunch of hokum when it comes to Trump collusion. But they will push it nonetheless. One can see that they are now trying to shift to obstruction of justice and that will have no more impact than the original Russia/Trump story. And as I have said they will rue the day that they did so when the electorate speaks again.

The democrats need to get over the fact that they lost and start proposing plans of their own. Just hating Trump and trying to bring him down is NOT going to work.

And someone should clue the media in on this as well. On second thought never mind they are losing credibility by the day. Four years from now they will have virtually no say in who gets elected.

That is a stone cold fact!

How many tweets has Trump sent about him and Russia. Count them and get back to me as I don’t have the time for that. Then tell me that he isn’t pushing the story as much as anyone else. He can’t shut up about it

I am also not convinced of the “Progressive Shift” of the younger voter.

As I said in another thread…if protest and violence occurs at places like Berkeley…do they hold the same Political Beliefs as the average student at UTexas; LSU; Alabama; Tennessee; Clemson; Auburn; OU…or at the Military Academies?

I tend to think not.

1 Like
1 Like

I agree that he can’t shut up about it. But if you notice he can’t shut up about anything once it enters his brain. With that said, he is attempting to defend himself. I am not saying that he should be doing that but that is what he’s doing. He could never say another word about it but that wouldn’t stop Pelosi, Schumer and the MSLM from attempting to hang him DAILY>

I agree, but younger voters have always drifted left. If you look closely at the Bernie supporters they are mostly young.

Well, that is basically what I said ED. Trump gets something in his head and that is that.

I agree (that you basically said that). We cross-posted.