Trump: Starting Re-Election BID

Yeah, many times I read posts knocking Trump and I really can’t defend him as I agree with Mufasa he can be his own worst enemy. While I like the many things that he has done so far in his Presidency, the man Trump makes me a bit queasy.

Okay…time to go train have a good weekend ED, Mufasa and H.

And I think a lot of them were “Bumper-Sticker/Bernie Button” types of Voters.

It was kinda’ “cool” to “Feel the Bern…”

I just don’t view this kind of stuff as a sustainable trend.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I could say “good” with a straight face…but if he’d just shut up and learn to maneuver instead of throwing tantrums he’d be passable in many cases. I like his nomination of Gorsuch a lot but hate how it played out with the nuclear option. I don’t mind the proposed limit on immigration from suspect countries—but I hate everything else about it: the way it was rolled out like a train wreck, the complete optics backlash, the complete lack of “heads up” and detail, the fact that none of the countries he had business ties to were on the list, the fact that the list didn’t address the countries that were KNOWN to sponsor terror, and on and on…

The problem is I can’t take him seriously because I don’t believe he is competent. He keeps doing things he KNOWS are bad and has been told are bad.

3 Likes

I enjoy him for that reason. I don’t believe the things that have been identified by progressives as bad are all bad. Our seeming acceptance of illegal immigration and high violent crime rate (the two are not necessarily related, but I leave it open to discussion) for example, are an anathema to my experiences in places like Tokyo and Singapore. I’m not inclined to love cops, but someone has to deal with criminals and crazies, and I sure as hell don’t want to do it. If that means that people who can’t seem to shut their mouths, obey lawful orders, and keep their hands in plain view get shot,* I have a hard time feeling sympathy. I feel the same about a border wall. Will it work? Not without more patrols but will it work isn’t the real argument either. Those are just examples. Of course, legalizing weed puts me at odds with Sessions and Trump on that issue. I don’t take him any more or less seriously than I did Obama.

• This does not mean that I don’t think police reform is necessary or there aren’t rather glaring examples of excessive force and racism. My issue is that example after example that has been put forth involves an idiot with a criminal record who can’t seem to help himself. Even my white self was taught by my father how to deal with a police officer if pulled over. Lots of hands showing and “yes sirs.” Self preservation and whatnot.
1 Like

Indeed. I don’t think everything he has done or even may do is awful, it’s just what I view as disgusting. We elected to the highest office in the land somebody kids shouldn’t look up to. Who on either side would show videos of Trump and say you want your kids to act like that? You want your kids to treat other people like that? I’m not sure I would want my kid watching a Trump rally.

Not to mention I think a lot of Republicans are scared to call him on his bullshit. I thought early on they might be, but they have fallen in line. Even his own press team has no idea what he thinks or means. No one can keep things straight on his own team.

I will say that all of his gaffes and complete flip flops on a day to day basis have had a hard time sticking to him. Most of this is because no one can keep up. You can’t really say what about that time you said this to him because by the time you start to get a question out he has already said something else mind numbingly stupid.

It has completely shown the religious right to be full of it though I will give him credit. They supported a guy with a filthy mouth, multiple wives, shady business dealings, and no religious background. They 110% sold out except for a few like Sloth. They have zero credibility now.

1 Like

The Religious Right…of ALL peoples…should know the danger of making a “Faustian Deal”.

And that is EXACTLY what they did with Trump.

In order to “Get what they want”…they were willing to “sell their Souls” to a Carnival Barker…who’s only true redeeming characteristic was that he wasn’t Clinton.

Let’s hope this Faustian Deal works out a little better.

In terms of a lot of Republicans remaining silent. They have learned…and learned early…that it’s Political Suicide to get caught in Trump’s “Twitter Cross-hairs”. The delicate dance many of them seem to do when it comes to Trump is nothing short of amazing.

3 Likes

They just have zero credibility now. They can’t pretend to support family values people and they can’t pretend they will stick up and say we aren’t going to support someone who talks like this and acts like this. The preachers were quiet (few notable exceptions). The people who talk about how disgusting TV shows are were all quiet. They don’t exist anymore as a force in politics or at least not one who have any shred of consistency.

Which is completely fine by me, but Trump put them out to pasture.

Also @H_factor

What do you think the Religious Right should have done in the actual election, if they did not vote for Trump in prelims, but considering he did get the nomination? Given of course, his opponent being HRC.

treco:

What they should or should not have done is up to them…but like ALL of us, they better “look in the mirror” when they decide to judge others.

Well they didn’t coalesce around someone in direct opposition to Trump. Fact of the matter is many of them supported him early. They weren’t out in front and unified against his behavior. Some didn’t like it but as a whole? Pretty silent and certainly not standing up and saying let’s get together and refuse to let this guy who spits on our ideals represent us

What should they have done? I don’t really know or care. They could have ran someone else. Said we aren’t voting for these choices. Neither of these people represent Christianity. I’m not sure. They didn’t do any of that though. Sloth was out in front of this. He was disgusted by the option and called Trump out numerous times and said he wouldn’t support him.

The religious right just doesn’t really exist as a force after this imo. Which again is completely fine by me but I do think their inaction regarding Trump solidifies it. Going to ring a bit hollow then next time they say they support family value and moral candidates

Shallow indeed.

Yes it is the Christians’ fault.
Or more specifically the 20% of voters that make up the Religious Right.

We are so morally bankrupt for obeying the rules and voting in the general election for the primary winner of the GOP.

Very shallow and ill informed attack, gentlemen.

1 Like

No one said it was their fault for anything merely that they literally can’t act holier than thou anymore. Not an attack as much as an observation. When push came to shove they sold out their values or at least ignored it. Whether that is following the rules or not I don’t know but they own it and it diminishes their arguments going forward politically. Don’t take my word for it go see what Sloth had to say. He was saying that long before Trump was elected and he has been one of the most consistent devout people in this forum. He knew that voting for it was condoning it and agreeing with it

Really I’m not complaining. We didn’t debate stupid things like gay marriage and that is a credit to Trump. But it also showed that those things were only important when Democrats brought them up.

If Presidential politics no longer has to debate things like gay marriage the country is better off for it and is by far one of my favorite things about Trump. But those who were against it on this board in the past never once called out Trump on it.

You’ve lost me.

I have no idea what you are talking about now, treco.

(EDIT: See H_Factors last post)

I’m going with sarcasm. Apparently, HRC suppprters can be lukewarm in their support and not defend everything, but the religious folk are hypocritical by supporting Trump. Not that I’m defending the religious right.

I don’t have posts supporting HRC. I may have comments about her thinking she may win I can’t remember. But I don’t have posts supporting her and I don’t think Mufasa does either. In fact not sure I can think of anyone on the forum really who did. At least not regulars.

So I assume you are talking about people who don’t post here.

Edit: I guess I didn’t think she could win. My post on her: "You could clothe the world with the dirty laundry Clinton has in her closet. Same could be said for most lifetime politicians.

I think the Democrats best hope is her to lose/drop out for whatever reason. She will lose in the general. You can’t be a populist anti-Wall Street warrior when you’ve been in the crony capitalism game for decades. People are going to see right through the ruse."

I was not even remotely an HRC supporter.

Clinton is almost impossible to like or defend hence the often deflect to her. Because if you don’t like Trump’s actions you must be part of the resistance or whatever bullshit.

The question facing every Christian is, Did you vote your values?

IMO, this election wasn’t close in that regard. While far from perfect, HRC’s values were vastly more in line with my understanding of Christian values than were/are Trump’s.

If someone wants to argue the opposite (ie, that Trump’s values were more consonant with Christian values than were HRC’s), I can come to no conclusion other than we share very different concepts concerning what the term ‘Christian values’ means.

1 Like