Trump Inauguration Thread

I agree, maybe get into the senate and after a few years go for presidency? (sounds familiar).

She has said she isn’t interested, but time will tell.

I agree. Hell, I think she would have stood a good chance of winning if she had picked a running mate who ‘galvanized the electorate.’ (Tim Kaine, nice and capable though he may be, was not that guy.)

Of course, at this point this is all woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Ya. She can bring “hope” and “change” after 4-8 years of Republican governance, lol… We’ll see, she’ll be about 60 so who knows.

I read about this a little while back, it seemed there was some hope that it could improve the traditional Israeli/Syrian tension.

Do you think it will lead to any substantial improvement?

It is my understanding that this is the main reason the Obama administration didn’t want to go ‘all in’ in Syria.

She would need to get some experience first much like Hillary did. I’d still would rather have seen Rice break that barrier. I think an African American, female and Republican president would truly break the mold.

I suppose one can hope. While Israel gets a really bizarre bad rap in US colleges and the media, we try our best to be good neighbors and to do the right thing.

There have been quiet movements among Saudi and several other of the Gulf states to recognize the simple fact we are not one of the bad guys and are, in fact, a trustworthy partner.

They logically view ISIS, Hezbollah, Hamas, Iran, and the various points in between (to run the gauntlet of the extremes in different types of assholeness) as much more of an existential threat than Israel, so much so they are beginning to work with us to keep a lid on it.

G-d works in mysterious ways. Perhaps this is why He tolerates wars, so decent people can come together.

2 Likes

Maybe. Or he was just indecisive and allowed it to become the miasma that it is.

I would be up for spouses being included in the revised 22nd amendment that puts limits on the Judicial and Congress

Like Trump did?

100% agree.

1 Like

That wasn’t an indictment of her so don’t read it that way. Trump is different because he has no military or government experience, but he has lead international companies and investments, and the lack of military experience is becoming a thing (not that this is necessarily a good thing). Obama himself served less than 2 years in the Senate. Michelle doesn’t have much in the way of experience one way or the other to draw upon (law isn’t exactly executive experience). Give her a run at something like Secretary of State though and it would give her a hell of a platform to work with. Who knows, maybe we are going into an era when a First Lady can go directly from the White House as FL to the White House as POTUS.

No worries, I didn’t read it as such. I was just a bit confused because Trump obviously didn’t have any political experience.

I get what you’re saying. It looks like she has a bit more experience than just her time practicing law, but her qualifications are definitely lacking. That said, she’s very popular on the left so I’m not so sure it would matter. Who knows, though.

I think she’d be an awful choice anyway.

Off topic:

I’m sorry, but this is bullshit. The Saudis and assorted Gulf theocracies (that means ISIS) are very worried because they’re losing against shias in both Syria and Iraq. Taking into account the expected US “imperial retreat” from the Middle East during Trump’s presidency, despite it’s announced strong pro-Israel stance, they’re desperate for alliances of convenience, even pondering the recently unthinkable.

So they’re using Netanyahu’s obsession with Iran to lure Israel into some sorts of temporary unholy alliance to use it to thwart the shias at least for a while.

But they still want to see you all dead as soon as possible, as a cursory look into pretty much any sunni mosque in Saudi Arabia will attest - prayers for the success of ISIS against takfirs (shias), Jews and Christians (in that order)

1 Like

I do agree with all of this, FWIW. Just tossing it out there since this was such an unusual election cycle, with both parties ultimately nominating candidates that had historically-low-approval-ratings.

I agree with this, too, except for the “need to get some experience” part - again, because…

…but then as I keep reading, you guys have basically had this conversation already, haha.

Anyways, I also like Rice and, had she been up there in this election cycle, I almost assuredly would have voted for her. Oh well.

1 Like

IIRC, I read somewhere she’s not even remotely interested in public life anymore.

Sane people get the hell out. Powell did the same thing. I also think the racial attacks on Obama would pale by comparison with what would happen to an African American Republican POTUS.

2 Likes

Not sure where, but I’ve read that somewhere as well…

2 Likes

^Yup, lol.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure she told GWB that, but I don’t remember why or where I read it.