Trump Inauguration Thread

Do you have any thoughts on the actual subject matter? Check that. At this point I’m not inclined to think it wouldn’t be intelligible much less intelligent.

From the article Treco posted: " There are now more than 21,000 Border Patrol agents on the border, twice the number of a decade ago." So I don’t see where you’re getting that it’s easier to cross the border now than it was before. As for the rest of that article, it looks like Treco is right: the way deportations have been measured has changed under Obama.

You don’t really believe this, do you? As long as there is demand, there will be supply.

1 Like

Completely agree.

Federal judge blocks Trump immigration order: report

1 Like

[quote=“Tyler23, post:524, topic:225493, full:true”]

From the article Treco posted: " There are now more than 21,000 Border Patrol agents on the border, twice the number of a decade ago." So I don’t see where you’re getting that it’s easier to cross the border now than it was before. As for the rest of that article, it looks like Treco is right: the way deportations have been measured has changed under Obama. [/quote]

I posted an article explaining it earlier but aside from that Obama restarted catch and release, ultimately diluting the consequences of trying to cross illegally into america. With lax punishment the decision to cross illegally becomes easier.

I certainly believe it will be much harder to smuggle drugs in the quantities they currently do if the border is secured, yes.

Israeli wall has lead to the decrease in suicide bombings, I don’t see why America won’t benefit from decreasing the flow of drugs substantially

[quote]

Suicide bombings have decreased since the construction of the barrier.[7][45] Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades, Hamas, and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad have been less able to conduct attacks in Israel, which have decreased in areas where the barrier has been completed.[46][47]

The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Israel Security Agency report that in 2002, there were 452 fatalities from terrorist attacks. Before the completion of the first continuous segment (July 2003) from the beginning of the Second Intifada, 73 Palestinian suicide bombings were carried out from the West Bank, killing 293 Israelis and injuring over 1,900. After the completion of the first continuous segment through the end of 2006, there were only 12 attacks based in the West Bank, killing 64 people and wounding 445.[6] Terrorist attacks declined in 2007[6] and 2008[48] to 9 in 2010.[49]

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs predicts that completion of the barrier will continue to prevent terrorist attacks[50] since “[a]n absolute halt in terrorist activities has been noticed in the West Bank areas where the fence has been constructed.”[46]

Israeli officials (including the head of the Shin Bet) quoted in the newspaper Maariv have said that in the areas where the barrier was complete, the number of hostile infiltrations has decreased to almost zero. Maariv also stated that Palestinian militants, including a senior member of Islamic Jihad, had confirmed that the barrier made it much harder to conduct attacks inside Israel. Since the completion of the fence in the area of Tulkarm and Qalqilyah in June 2003, there have been no successful attacks from those areas. All attacks were intercepted or the suicide bombers detonated prematurely.[51] In a March 23, 2008 interview, Palestinian Islamic Jihad leader Ramadan Shalah complained to the Qatari newspaper Al-Sharq that the separation barrier “limits the ability of the resistance to arrive deep within [Israeli territory] to carry out suicide bombing attacks, but the resistance has not surrendered or become helpless, and is looking for other ways to cope with the requirements of every stage” of the intifada.[52]

Other factors are also cited as causes for the decline. According to Haaretz, a 2006 report by the Shin Beit concluded that “[t]he fence does make it harder for them [terrorists]” but that attacks in 2005 decreased due to increased pursuing of Palestinian militants by the Israeli army and intelligence organizations, Hamas’s increased political activity, and a truce among Palestinian militant groups in the Palestinian Territories. Haaretz reported, “[t]he security fence is no longer mentioned as the major factor in preventing suicide bombings, mainly because the terrorists have found ways to bypass it.”[53] Former Israeli Secretary of Defence Moshe Arens says that the reduction in Palestinian violence is largely due to the IDF’s entry into the West Bank in 2002.[54] [/quote]

1 Like

Because suicide bombings are not subject to economic laws concerning supply and demand, whereas drug-flow is. So long as there is significant demand for drugs in the US, the suppliers will find a way to get them in.

1 Like

I would say there’s an endless supply of hatred for jews by Palestinians, heh.

They value taking the lives of jews over their own life, I’d say that’s a force more powerful than economics demand

Arguable. But nevertheless, I’m sure you’d agree there’s not much demand for suicide bombings on the part of the Jews.

1 Like

So long as there are burglars prowling around at night you might as well not lock your door.

Sure, you would lock the doors. But in that regard, if your house contains many open windows and a back door that cannot be locked, it would make little sense to spend $50B on a supposedly impregnable front door.

1 Like

Estimates are 10-15B and Mexico will be paying for it.

Believing a wall won’t greatly deter illegal immigrants is to be untethered from reality - there is plenty of evidence. Even a minor upgrade as shown by the Bush administration proved it’s effectiveness

Other estimates indicate that both those assessments are wildly inaccurate.

1 Like

You have now shifted your point-of-discussion from drug trafficking to illegal immigration.

I said illegals were a major vehicle in which drugs are delivered to America and a wall will greatly hinder the supply into America.

That number doesn’t have to drop to 0 for me to be correct

You are arguing facts not in evidence. If the overland route is rendered impractical, drug traffickers will simply switch to other routes (air and sea, obviously). You have offered nothing by way of evidence that the supply would be diminished.

But let us assume you’re correct, and the supply is reduced. What will result? The price of the drugs will go up. And while this might drive a few users out of the market, it might drive many to commit more, and more serious, crimes in order to meet the increased price.

Thus, it is not at all clear that, in and of itself, choking the supply of drugs coming into the US will have an overall salutary effect on the populace.

I gave the example of the decrease in terror attacks in Israel.

I don’t know what else you expect

1 Like

And I showed why that example was irrelevant to the situation on our southern border.

I expect an example remotely germane to the situation at hand–one involving the supply-and-demand of goods that are transportable via multiple modalities.

I am for a temporary ban on immigration to finetune a vetting process and to set realistic numbers of necessary immigration and for refugees.

Not allowing the varioud departments a shot to edit these orders, particularly ‘legal’, is unimaginable. Who would decide to build a building, without counting the cost, to ensure the completion? Good practical advice from the Bible, much less SOP for any business.