Trump: Historical Religious Figure?

I don’t think the Bible states that Uriah was David’s best friend.

You’re correct, my mistake. Uriah was one of David’s original 37. He risked his life and certain death to defy Saul and put David on the throne. David owed those men a great deal.

Ironically David later wrote this: Psalm 41:9, “Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.”

He was annoyed by a friend’s betrayal… wrong religion and all, but Karma.

@magnumd

The reason I am SO bad at predicting elections is that I tend to not see the realities before me (which I am probably doing now!)

To me; it just “feels” like Trump has the momentum; a solid, unwavering base, some of whom feel he is doing the will of G*d; (how do you run against that?); an economic cycle that is within a positive curve; and a Nation and a World that has spared (at least for now) this excuse of a President any major disaster or conflict where the true metal of his Leadership can be tested.

As I’ve said before…Trump has been perhaps the luckiest person to have ever held the Office…

Couple that with an ever-growing field of DEM candidates that Trump will probably chew up faster than he does a Big MAC…and I just don’t see the man losing.

It’s never been tested

If the other guy wins he’s also doing the word of God. Everyone is. That’s how predestination works.

Momentum can switch in week when it comes to politics and November 2020 is a long ways away.

Are you saying God wanted Hitler to come to power as that was part of his plan? I knew this God character was trouble when they told me he was all good but didn’t mind people being tortured for eternity if they didn’t kiss his rings well enough.

God’s the OG terrorist.

I don’t think that’s what he meant. G-d has a Plan A to bring us good things and closer to Him, which does not include people like Hitler. We (humanity as a whole) chose poorly, repeatedly, and people like Hitler end up being part of Plans B, C, D . . ZZ to bring as as close to Plan A as possible despite our bad choices.

I think you are using the Nazarine or Muslim misinterpretation of HaShem (G-d). In Judaism, almost no one lacks a place in the world to come, whatever his or her theology. It’s the truly wholly bad and evil people – without a speck of good – who don’t have some role.

I don’t even know (nor does anyone human) know who makes that short list. Heck, Hitler was very kind to animals. He loved his mother. So there was a tiny bit of good in even him. He very well might make the cut.

2 Likes

Eh it’s roughly how I meant it. I was raised Catholic ala predestination. I’d wager a good sum of money the people equating Trump to executing the word of God were brought up much like I was.

If everything is decided, free will is an illusion. If free will is real, predestination can’t exist.

Ofc that’s with my lizard brain understanding of the universe. Who knows if the big guy found a way to give us free will AND control the outcome like I was taught.

My response was tongue in cheek to say the least.

I would rather just be dead, then be in heaven for eternity. It would turn into hell just existing forever. If it’s anything like church, it would be eternal torture after about 30 minutes.

If you don’t believe in it, then it probably does sound like a bad deal, but I imagine for some, being able to see loved ones again, and to never have another worry in their life, would be a pretty sweet deal.

What about the loved ones who didn’t believe? How could one have happiness, knowing their loved ones are being tortured? Do we lose positive human attributes like empathy when we go to heaven? If so, I would argue that it is not the same person in heaven as on Earth.

1 Like

How does one ever feel happiness again knowing a loved one has gone into oblivion?

I don’t believe in heaven or hell. I have to come to terms that they are gone. I have memories that I cherish, but I have to move on, but Christianity promises a perfect, happy heaven. I find this a contradiction. For example, my mother could not be happy in heaven if I were in hell, and if she was, she would have to be altered in a way that she would be missing much of who she is.

1 Like

Yet mothers can be happy again after a child faces total and perfect annihilation. After that curious and precious thing slips into complete and absolute nothing. To never giggle, or have a single thought, ever again.

All of humanity will die alongside the universe.

Have a good day!

The difference here is I am not claiming the world is free from pain, or unhappiness. The Bible makes that claim about heaven.

1 Like

Well happiness is mostly relative. It’s probably very easy to call a place free from pain and unhappiness when the flip side of the coin is eternal torture.

I don’t interpret the Bible that way. It claims it is perfect in every way. However, for me missing loved ones directly contradicts it being perfect.

The Bible doesn’t say, it’s pretty good at least compared to hell. It claims perfection.

1 Like

Where?

Edit: Oh, for YOU missing loved ones makes it not perfect. Maybe it’s not a good fit for you then? That’s always a possibility. And, one not denied by us.

Your lack of empathy for your friends and family is a bit concerning.

Yes, if I believed the Bible, I would be very disturbed that loved ones were being tortured for eternity, for not believing in something that has poor evidence at best to support it.

After reading the Bible I’ve come to the conclusion that the god of the Bible is the opposite of a loving being. What could be more unjust than infinitely punishing someone for a finite crime?

1 Like