Trump Gauntlet is Now Officially Dropped

Then why is he smoking Cruz in the delegate count?

Also, it seems that Bohner has litteraly called Cruz the spawn of Satan and a few other choice words. So I don’t see where you have developed this criteria for what or where a leader should be at this point. It sure as hell isn’t based on any of his opponents performance in the race thus far.

Here in Pittsburgh at least one Trump protestor was arrested for pepper spraying the police who were providing protection.

It’s sad shit to hear. In the story here locally, the 2 young girls who were pepper sprayed were comforted by a Trump supporter, who is Hispanic.

I didn’t say anything about delegate count. You said the party isn’t listening to the people. I’m pointing out that the majority of Republicans have not voted for Trump.

I don’t understand bringing up Cruz in your original point about the divide between the politicians and people. Cruz likewise hasn’t had a majority support, nobody on the Republican side has been able to accomplish that. The party is not ignoring the people, the people are divided about who they want to represent the party.

My criteria is not based on his opponents, it is based on the requirement to get a majority of delegates to be the Republican nominee. Up to this point Trump has received a higher percentage of delegates than he has received in popular vote, if anything the people being ignored are the non-Trump votes due to winner-take-all states.

So what is it then, Trump is a weak leader and can’t attract voters, but Cruz is even weaker and has even less draw?

I mean, unless you can lay out some hard numbers and the methodology by which you are drawing these conclusions, I really don’t understand what you are talking about.

The winner at this point is winning By The Numbers. The politicians and general punditry are just crying, which amounts to sour grapes.

You said that Republican weren’t listening to the people because they weren’t supporting Trump:

“The thing that seems clear to me is that “the party” is the republicans in power who are strategising how to get this away from Trump. They aren’t listening to the constituency”

Trump has not won over Republicans. He has not received a majority of votes.

It’s not sour grapes, there is still a race because nobody has won a majority. While there is a race people can rally behind opponents of the front runner because they see the the front runner’s flaws. If he gets a majority or wins at the convention and they are still ‘crying’ then it would be sour grapes.

It’s preemptive sour grapes.

You might be forgetting that when the race began Trump was up against 16 or so other candidates. That would mean that, even though they were whittled down through the months, he would certainly not enjoy a large lead in delegates. The shear number of candidates simply prohibited that.

Of the 17 only 4 have gotten any delegates and only 3 have been in the race after March 10th.

Trump has not united the party where previous candidates (in the last ~40 years) have been able to do so. It’s shown by the fact that 40% of Republicans (in the last exit poll) said they would never vote for him, the #nevertrump movement, and the lack of support from governors, senators, and political pundits. That is a fact… call it sour grapes, make excuses, do whatever you want. He has not united the party and has not gotten a majority of the votes.

Something interesting yesterday (speaking of opposition to Trump).

Lindsey Graham (R-SC); is certainly no fan of the President…and has not held back when he was critical of him.

With that said; on “Face the Nation” yesterday (and I am not exaggerating); he was yelling and almost in tears when speaking of his opposition to Trump and about how he needed to be stopped.

I think the exchange even took John Dickerson (the Moderator) by surprise.

It was surreal.

Did you know there was a “never Carter movement” by the democrats back in in the mid 70’s. They didn’t like him because he was from the south and they thought he was going to be overly conservative. You didn’t know that did you?

He won anyway defeating a sitting President Gerald Ford.

Yes, he did that because Trump says some outlandish things and is in way over his head. But then again Lindsay Graham has bent over to please Obama so many times that he is more familiar with Obama’s shoes than his face.

And that’s why good old Lindsay got just about ZERO in the primaries when he ran for President.

I’m not clear on the point, or the connection, you are trying to make, Zeb.

…ok? Good for him. I wasn’t talking about Carter, about winning, or about defeating a sitting president. Not sure how this relates whatsoever.

My point was/is that Trump has not united the party and has not received a majority of the votes. Pundits/Party/People who are against Trump are not “ignoring” the people.

He certainly was losing it yesterday on “Face the Nation”…

No one gives a flying fuck what someone who earned nothing more than an asterisk says, that is the point.

Graham has been in politics for 24 years, and got pummeled by someone whose first attempt at government was aiming for the White House and had not a day of political experience. Graham is a spent condom.

For me, Graham talking about a “Generational Struggle” and another 30 year involvement in the Middle East was a real turn off.

Well…it looks like many are not giving a “flying fuck” about what anyone they deem part of “The Establishment” as to say…which is making this one of the most fascinating elections in modern times.

While many may not want to admit it; it’s because of Trump. I just don’t see as much interest being generated if it was Hillary and Bush.

Nate Silver had an article on this kind of strategy over a MONTH ago, and it was his contention that this would be a viable play to knock Trump out. However, he also assumed two things which would have been smart: a) he assumed that Cruz and Kasich would not make public statements to this effect and would do it in secret, because publically announcing that is FUCKING STUPID politically and Trump’s reply statement easily capitalizes on that idiocy with the voters, and b) this strategy would have been implemented a long ass time ago instead of limping along and doing too little, too late, as they have all done this election cycle.

Of course neither of those prerequisites for this strategy were followed, and consequently I think this blows up in their faces. Whether or not it is ultimately recoverable for the anti-Trump vote remains to be seen.

A cakewalk election cycle and they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Every fucking time…

1 Like