I just read an interesting article in “Foreign Affairs”.
The basic tenet was that whether you agree with it or not…Trump actually has a clear Foreign Policy, that is becoming more clear as he places a Team around him that either agrees with his ideas and/or at least feels that it’s their job to execute them.
The Author summarizes Trump’s FP in this way:
"For the first time, it is possible to identify a singular Trump administration foreign policy, as the president’s team coalesces around his ideas. This policy consists of:
1) A narrow, transactional relationship with other nations.
2) A preference for authoritarian governments over other democracies.
3) A mercantilist approach to international economic policy.
4) A general disregard for human rights and the rule of law, and
5) The promotion of nationalism and unilateralism at the expense of multilateralism.
The author goes through some pluses and minuses…but doesn’t make a judgement either way. His point was to emphasize that while many are saying that when it comes to Foreign Policy Trump is “unpredictable”…he really isn’t.
Would like your thoughts @loppar and others.
The floor is yours…