True Powerlifting Workouts

I need some help from somebody who would call themselves advanced in powerlifting. I need my workout tweaked for maximum power gains. I will list what I do now and please suggest what I should change; warm-up sets will be assumed. Oh yeah, I do everything as heavy as I can; I always try to fail on the final rep or two and have my partner help me with forced reps. Thanks in advance.

Monday - Chest
Incline Dumbbell - 4x8-12
Barbell BP - 1x8 1x6 1x4 1x4 (last set of 4 @ 405)
Pec-Dec Flys - 4x8-12
Decline Barbell - 3x8-12
Flat Bench Dumbbell - 3x8-12

Tuesday - Back
Lat Pulldowns - 4x8-12
Deadlift - 1x10 1x8 1x6 1x4 (last set of 4 @ 425)
T-Bar Rows - 4x8-12
Standing Barbell Rows - 3x8-12
Bent Dumbbell Rows - 3x8-12

Wednesday - REST

Thursday - Shoulders
Front Raises - 4x8-12
Bent Raises - 4x8-12
Dumbbell Seated Press - 1x10 1x10 1x8 1x6 (final set @ 85)
Dumbbell Shrugs - 4x8-12
Barbbell Shrugs - 1x8 1x6 1x4 (last set @ 405)

Friday - Legs
Leg Extensions - 4x8-12
Squats - 1x10 1x8 1x6 1x4 (last set @ 405)
Leg Sled - 4x8-12
Barbbell Lunges - 3x8-12
Leg Extensions (again) - 3x8-12
Calfs - I work calfs every other day between sets

Saturday - Arms (I super-set all bicep/tricep exercises)
Standing Hammer Curls/V-Bar Pulldowns - 4x8-12
Standing Alt. Curls/Kickbacks - 4x8-12
Seated Alt. Curls/Dumbbell Pullovers - 4x8-12
Standing Concentration Curls/Rope Pullovers - 4x8-12

Sunday - REST

You have way too much bodybuilding crap in there.

Try doing the major lifts and two or three assistance exercises.

Example: Squat:(500)warm ups- 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x3, 385x3, then work sets- 425x3x5
This is just an example of a typical squat work. You would rest 3-4 mins. between sets and you would move the bar as fast as you can with control on each of work sets.

Assistance work: Leg curls: 3x10, Calf raises 3x15, Do abs and call it a day.

Most powerlifters do three day a week work outs, almost no one does more then 4 days a week.

I would strongly suggest getting a sub. to Powerlifting USA and read some of the pure powerlifting forums like Fortified Iron.

George

Thanks man. yeah, as i said my “trainer” is a straight body builder and i am a novice at best. ive been at it for about 10 months now and have made nice gains doing it this way but i want to make sure i dont platuea anytime soon.

You bench and squat the same?, this cant be real, I don’t mean to be offensive but I cannot imagine a trainer telling someone to do that.

sorry man, it is for real. i will go to the gym tommorrow and take some pics. my squat is super weak and my bench is pretty strong so it just worked out that way. would you tell me to take it easy on bench because my squat was weak? i doubt it.

Check out http://www.elitefts.com/documents/in_the_beginning_by_BobY.htm and some of the other training articles at elitefts for beginners.

i wouldnt take it easy on bench… i’d bust my ass on squats!

Super Squats is a classic powerlifting workout.

3 sets of 20 with your 10rm. stay under the bar until all 20 reps are done, rest 3 to 5 minutes and repeat. do that with squats and mil press for 6 weeks, and add 5lbs per week.

I have one more suggestion – if your bench is that good, then move it toward the middle of the week and put your squats first. When your fresh you will be better off to do what needs the most work.

No 20 rep squats, I don’t anyone who does those except Matt K and he blow up his quad doing crazy rep work.

This how it should look: 1st day Squat and assistance, 2nd day Bench and assistance, third day deadlift and assistance. This is classic powerlifting, and then you rest. When you train you kill yourself, and then you eat and rest.

Westside is great but for a beginner you need to build the foundation, and then you can try other stuff. I’ve been doing this over twenty years and the foundation is super important for future success.

Jack Reape who posts on here is a great lifter and has lots of wisdom so if you can, seek out his advice.

George

Look up on anything Westside. You’ll find something.

ditto on the Westside suggestions…

and thats coming from a lifting-newb (less than 2 years). once you get your head wrapped around it , it’s not as complex as it sounds .very easy to track progress .reading Westside articles here confused the fuck out of me until a bought a couple manuals from Elitefts…then it all cleared right up.

just start with lifts that you already know , and add new lifts (if desired) after a few months…just not a lot at one time .

and ditto again on dumping the BBing stuff . if you need to add mass (which I doubt if you’re benching 400), you can do 5’s to 10’s on your DE day assistance .

take it for what it’s worth , which aint much

I agree w/ the westside routine. You can build a lot of specific strength that you need. Great for gear work if you can honestly figure out the routine. Just remember, this isn’t the only game out there and the majority of people EVERYWHERE are going to spam “westside” as the end all, be all of routines.

I’d say to do 2 things. Check out some of the westside training logs on here to see how a real workout is constructed. Then go and find other’s who do PLing, but not westside. Hanely and myself do sheiko, although he as deverted, but his is a good look at how to construct a routine as well.

Jack Reape is another guy I would check into, at least his log. I can’t stress it enough to see how people train and how different things work for different people.

Just remember, you have to train at 80%, 90% and higher to really build strength. If you’re doing sets of 4 and nothing lower rep, you’re not lifting heavy enough. There should be weights you can’t do for more than a double or single. These are weight you need to play around with once and a while.

Good luck.

thanks for the advice guys. love the vegeta av synth.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?tid=126&__N=Matt%20Kroczaleski

Check that out for an idea of the sort of thing you’ll want to be doing.
Powerlifting isnt complicated, it just takes giant balls, a hard mental resolve and most importantly, HEAVY ASS WEIGHTS!!

MJ-Cartwright
Fitness Instructor and Strength Coach
Pontypridd South Wales

[quote]MJ - Cartwright wrote:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/training-logs.asp?tid=126&__N=Matt%20Kroczaleski

Check that out for an idea of the sort of thing you’ll want to be doing.
Powerlifting isnt complicated, it just takes giant balls, a hard mental resolve and most importantly, HEAVY ASS WEIGHTS!!

MJ-Cartwright
Pontypridd South Wales[/quote]

Are you just bumping and posting threads so people will see your sig?

No, Hanley, Im not in the game for ratings, The man asked for ideas and personally I dont think the come more visual than Kroc’s.
If that were the case im sure I would comment on everything without giving any feedback from myself, or I would put things like ‘x1’ or ‘Wow’ etc.

MJ-Cartwright
Pontypridd South Wales

[quote]MJ - Cartwright wrote:
No, Hanley, Im not in the game for ratings, The man asked for ideas and personally I dont think the come more visual than Kroc’s.
If that were the case im sure I would comment on everything without giving any feedback from myself, or I would put things like ‘x1’ or ‘Wow’ etc.

MJ-Cartwright
Pontypridd South Wales
[/quote]

The guy who asked for help about 3 weeks shy of one year ago ya mean, in the thread that hasn’t seen any activity for >11 months until you decided to bump it?

Didnt look at the date, was just on the second page of the strength sports forums.
My mistake.

MJ-Cartwright
Pontypridd South Wales

[quote]Zero_Z wrote:
Super Squats is a classic powerlifting workout.

3 sets of 20 with your 10rm. stay under the bar until all 20 reps are done, rest 3 to 5 minutes and repeat. do that with squats and mil press for 6 weeks, and add 5lbs per week.[/quote]

Huh?

You never actually read the book, did you?