True Grit

True Grit was a great movie–well made, absolutely GREAT dialogue, and some of the best acting I’ve seen all year. Bridges and Damon are always awesome, and the girl was just as good if not better.

The problem I had with it was that I went in expecting it to be very different. I had it built up in my head as the darkest, grittiest western ever made, full of blood and gore and intense existential meditations on evil and greed and revenge (I hadn’t seen the original or read the book). Instead what I got was a smart, witty pseudo-comedy punctuated with a few instances of violence/action/suspense. It was great and very entertaining, but I let my own expectations diminish it.

The Big Lebowski is the funniest movie ever made. You can’t tell me the above scenes are not hilarious.

I love the Coen Bros. I will see True Grit ASAP, which probably means I’ll see it when it comes out on Red Box.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Jewbacca have you watched a Serious Man?

Can you explain what the hell the opening scene is about and what it has to do with the rest of that movie?[/quote]

The opening scene was about a man being possibly meeting a dybbuk – basically a ghost who had unfinished work. It was told in the manner of a Yiddish folk tale, but I think it was created for the movie, as I don’t know it. The man who was stabbed with the ice pick would be a perfect example of a future dybbuk, who could be reincarnated.

My impression was the protagonist was, indeed, this man and was doomed (for whatever reason) to keep having crappy things happen to him, over and over, in many lives.

Note, this is just my opinion.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
This was an awesome movie, just saw it a few hours ago.

Jewbacca, you are right that the scene when the girl is riding on the horse with Rooster was amazing. I’m not a father by any means, I’m 21, but I could have easily cried if I wanted to.

And the girl’s performance, I don’t know her name, was nothing short of amazing. I’m a big fan of hers now and I’ll be interested to see what’s in store for her in the future.[/quote]

Hailee Steinfeld.

Her uncle is Jake Steinfeld – the Body By Jake guy.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
This was an awesome movie, just saw it a few hours ago.

Jewbacca, you are right that the scene when the girl is riding on the horse with Rooster was amazing. I’m not a father by any means, I’m 21, but I could have easily cried if I wanted to.

And the girl’s performance, I don’t know her name, was nothing short of amazing. I’m a big fan of hers now and I’ll be interested to see what’s in store for her in the future.[/quote]

Hailee Steinfeld.

Her uncle is Jake Steinfeld – the Body By Jake guy.[/quote]

See, all ya’ll do know each other.