True/False: Gain Muscle, Lose Weight

Is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same? I am not sure if I have asked this before, but my friend is CONVINCED that it is impossible.

[quote]TsNod wrote:
Is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same? I am not sure if I have asked this before, but my friend is CONVINCED that it is impossible. [/quote]

Yes it is possible when you are starting out training, you can change your body composition by losing fat and adding muscle at the same time. Later on however, it becomes much harder to do as, in very simple terms, you need a calorie excess to add size and a calorie deficit to lose.

Hum, could you continue on with that ? What would I want to do? I do not think I can do both excess and deficit at the same time, I assume I have to pick one? But if I go with the deficit… that ends my lifting and I have to add on cardio training correct?

Here is what my friend wrote :

[14:19] : The different workouts
[14:19] : The different foods
[14:19] : I think
[14:19] : you need
[14:19] : to push yourself
[14:19] : Now
[14:20] : I am not saying that you haven’t
[14:20] : but it’s time to take it a step furthert
[14:20] : And
[14:20] : By that I mean
[14:20] : Your jogging pace
[14:20] : Faster
[14:20] : 30-45 min
[14:20] : CONSISTENTLY
[14:20] : No stopping
[14:20] : And I’m not talking treadmill
[14:20] : I’m talking outside
[14:20] : in the sun
[14:20] : Eating
[14:20] : less quantity with each meal
[14:21] : but
[14:21] : still eating
[14:21] : every few hours
[14:21] : to maintain yourself
[14:21] : more fruits
[14:21] : remember water
[14:21] : and Vegitables / FIBER
[14:21] : Stretch often
[14:21] : so you don’t get hurt as well…
[14:21] : Think you know that…
[14:21] : Should…
[14:22] : What else…
[14:22] : MANIFEST
[14:22] : YOUR GOALS
[14:22] : SEE YOURSELF
[14:22] : RUNNING
[14:22] : SEE YOURSELF LOSING THE WEIGHT
[14:22] : Now this part isn’t SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN
[14:22] : but psychologically it puts you in a good place
[14:22] : At least in the aspect
[14:22] : lmao
[14:23] : But content, yea.
[14:23] : Just push yourself
[14:23] : as far as you can
[14:23] : without injury
[14:23] : or health concerns
[14:23] : you know your body
[14:23] : you know when you are QUITTING
[14:23] : and when you are in DISTRESS
[14:23] : Two different things
[14:23] : And if you do not
[14:24] : You can test your limits
[14:24] : And pushing them will bring you results
[14:24] : THAT IS
[14:24] : A PROMISE

Carb cycling will allow you to alternate muscle building with fat burning to give the effect of both happening simultaineously. Here’s a list of articles:

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4179

Stu

[quote]TsNod wrote:
Is it possible to lose weight and gain muscle at the same? I am not sure if I have asked this before, but my friend is CONVINCED that it is impossible. [/quote]

How big/lean is your friend. Does he have any experience coaching people and success with helping them achieve their goals? Im guessing that you will find the answer to whether or not you should take his advice once you consider these questions.

Youve already got a smart guy helping you here (Scott), listen to what hes telling you and trust him. If you put in the effort and do what he says, you will see results.

My head is about to shatter <<<

[quote]TsNod wrote:

My head is about to shatter <<<[/quote]

Dont let it. Youre overthinking things and that is the LAST thing you need to do. Right now, the best thing for you to do is completely ignore the advice others are giving you and LISTEN TO SCOTT.

So the answer as stated is, yes it is possible to do both. Let’s pretend right now that it is not possible. You can’t do both. You now need to decide if you want to gain muscle and maybe a little fat, or not gain muscle and maintain your current physique, but with less body fat.

I always choose muscle over dieting (plus I enjoy eating) because it is more difficult to gain muscle.

according to Poliquin, only a LOW CARB approach will allow that, as the cells can utilize fat for energy, and not breakdown in calorie restriciton. after 28 days of adaption cycle HIGH CARB DAYS EVERY 4th or 5th day.

[quote]MISCONCEPTION wrote:
according to Poliquin, only a LOW CARB approach will allow that, as the cells can utilize fat for energy, and not breakdown in calorie restriciton. after 28 days of adaption cycle HIGH CARB DAYS EVERY 4th or 5th day.[/quote]

Which is roughly what he’s doing. Low carbs(except PWO) during the week and a 1/2 day refeed. Keep in mind he’s basically a total beginner to good training and eating for the first time which will help him out tremendously in both pursuits.

[quote]TsNod wrote:
Hum, could you continue on with that ? What would I want to do? I do not think I can do both excess and deficit at the same time, I assume I have to pick one? But if I go with the deficit… that ends my lifting and I have to add on cardio training correct? [/quote]

Where you’re at right now, you can expect to add muscle to your frame and lose some fat at the same time. By doing what you have been and eating good protein every couple of hours and limiting your carbs to early in the day and post workout, you should find that you will naturally change body composition - as long as you’re training hard enough - it’s part of the bonus of being a beginner, enjoy it :slight_smile:

Try not to over think things…it will mess with your head and you will suffer from ‘analysis paralysis’, where you spend more time changing things around to try and find the ‘answer’ and less time actually doing the stuff you need to i.e. lift heavy stuff, do some HIIT, eat good food every couple of hours, get sufficient rest etc.

Later on, when you have added some decent muscle to your frame, you will probably have to decide whether you wish to continue to add size or maybe lean up a bit more. This will not be for a considerable time yet and also will be dependent on your goals, which will probably change as your body does. So don’t worry about it just yet, concentrate on improving your lifts and doing your HIIT etc :slight_smile:

Hey Lift and Eat do you still have that HIIT website you gave me a while back? I cant find it under my bookmark.

[quote]TsNod wrote:
Hey Lift and Eat do you still have that HIIT website you gave me a while back? I cant find it under my bookmark.[/quote]

I think it was this one:

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/draper45.htm

That depends. What is the ‘time’ as defined by? In the same year? Yes. In the same month? Yes. In the same week? What is the quantity of muscle/fat? As you can see, the answer is not a simple true or false. Use Waterbury’s 10-10 if you want to do both simultaneously while receiving amazing results on both ends.

[quote]teencraft wrote:
Use Waterbury’s 10-10 if you want to do both simultaneously while receiving amazing results on both ends.[/quote]

Here’s where I have a problem. You are talking to a beginner who just got on a program(a very successful one at that) and just learning how to eat properly and you are telling him to stop what he’s doing and switch everything. This is exactly what he does NOT need to hear.

lift weights and eat food, if you are getting too fat eat less food

[quote]teencraft wrote:
Use Waterbury’s 10-10 if you want to do both simultaneously while receiving amazing results on both ends.[/quote]

This is terrible advice.

How about 2 weeks into that, he switch to something else?

And then after 2 more weeks, on to something else?

Probably wouldnt work, right?

TSnod: Do what Scott says and youll be just fine.

[quote]schultzie wrote:
lift weights and eat food, if you are getting too fat eat less food[/quote]

Which is what im doing right?

Here is my workout for mon and tuesday also my nutrition thus far today, I still have two meals to go :

Current in-take of protein is 1.5x215lbs (My current weight) 322.5 . Post Workout I intake 50 carbs from OJ and sweet potato.

MEAL TIME FOODS EATEN DATE

1 MEAL1 12:00 PM Eggs&Ham,Turkey, Vegetables 26/08
2 MEAL2 2:30 PM Chicken & Corn,G.Beans,Carrots,Tomat 26/08
3 MEAL 3 4:37 PM CHICKEN & Corn,G.Beans,Tomat 26/08
4 MEAL 4 8:10 PM Chicken & Fish, OJ & Sweet Potato 26/08

(Meal 1 Consists Of : 2xEggs | 6xHam & 8xTurkey + Veggies
Meal 2 - 6 Consists of : 3x Chicken Breasts or 3x Fish)

26/08 HIIT TUESDAY

TYPE DURATION FOLLOW UP
Sprints & Rest 25 MIN BURPEES 2x10
SIT UPS 2x40
LEG UPS 1x30

25/08 WORKOUT B MONDAY

TYPE SETS REPS LBS
MILITARY PRESS 1 9 15 (BAR)
MILITARY PRESS 1 8 35 LBS
MILITARY PRESS 1 7 55 LBS
MILITARY PRESS 3 5 70 LBS

SQUATS 1 9 45 LBS (BAR)