True Blood on HBO

[quote]randman wrote:
^ Are there any dicks for rockscar? ;0[/quote]

Sookie’s brother runs around annoyingly with his shirt off so he might like that a whole lot.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I get the feeling this is one show where reading the books beforehand can keep you from enjoying the show.

I doubt I will be picking up any Sookie Stackhouse books.

I also doubt you would either if your girl didn’t.[/quote]

Yes, I’d say so. I took that risk knowing that full well, too. I’m okay with it. It’s just definitely got a lot more going on than the books… it doesn’t really deter from my appreciation for the show. You can stretch out a lot more content in 12-15 1 hour shows than 300 pages, no doubt.

And it was my sister, unfortunately.

[quote]usctrojansfan wrote:
Hey Professor X…

You mentioned this was your favorite character I think?[/quote]

LOL.

I think Sookie might be my favorite…or Tara. Hell, I’ll take both.

Oh…and I couldn’t stand Anna Paquin before this role. She went from irritating to hot pretty damn fast.

I really enjoyed the first season, but I think they’ve taken the tone of the series in the wrong direction in the second season.

What drew me into the first season was that the existence of vampires was made as believable as possible within the context of the real world, and the series explored the myriad conflicts on both a larger social and smaller personal scale as both groups attempted (or resisted) integration. A great deal of detail went into keeping this realism and believability alive throughout the first season (including Sookie’s telepathic abilities) and even the murder mystery fit into this overall theme.

With the second season, however, the wanton addition of shapeshifters, witches (or whatever the hell Maryann is) and bull-men monsters has basically thrown the believability aspect out the window in favor of fantasy schlock, and it seems to me that the series is quickly headed down a “Lost” type rabbit hole.

On a different note, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Tara is basically the only girl on the show who has yet to get naked? What’s up with that?

SSC wrote:
I’m watching the show… and it’s decent, but a lot of the shit in there is completely unnecessary. It’s crazy how bad they’re fucking up the story. Lafayette was supposed to be the person dead in the car, not that old lady. She never even existed in the books.

And really, Tara is hardly ever mentioned in the books. Same with Jason Stackhouse - really not much anything in the books from him, except his suspected murders in the first book. He never takes V, gets involved with the church, etc.

::::: SPOILERS, KIND OF :::::

Marianne, the character, doesn’t actually exist in the book, sort of. Sookie does encounter a Maenad, a Greek ‘monster’ that thrives off of alcohol consumption and social delights of others. I don’t know if the bull is supposed to be her, or what, but… it’s strange.

::::: END SPOILERS :::::

Anyway, if the show does actually stick fairly closely to the story, which it might, things will be VERY interesting this season, just wait.

I get the feeling this is one show where reading the books beforehand can keep you from enjoying the show.

I doubt I will be picking up any Sookie Stackhouse books.

I also doubt you would either if your girl didn’t.[/quote]

I’ve read all the Sookie Stackhouse novels, and the TV series doesn’t deviate too far from the books. At least, they manage to work all the same characters in (mostly) even if they change the ‘exact’ storyline. The show has actually managed to capture them all pretty well, and even made Tara and Lafayette way more key and exciting than in the book. In fact, in the book it WAS Lafayette found dead in Andy Bellefleur’s car, rather than the voodoo lady. I was relieved that they chose to keep him on the show.

I don’t think that the books will translate too well to a male audience, they’ve done well with doses of kick ass to make the series attractive to both sexes. In my opinion the acting is stellar. Yes, as time goes by the fantasy aspect keeps expanding and growing to include more types of imaginitive creatures, personally I think that’s great. It would be boring and unsustainable as a series if it relied solely on the blood of vamps to give it life.

I made posts about True Blood when it first came out and have been watching and reading ever since. I don’t have HBO either Prof… I just download each episode from somebody on the east coast, who religiously posts it up three hours before it’s shown west coast. Works out pretty well for me.

I’ve heard good things about this, but don’t have HBO. Thinking about picking up the first season on bluray.

and just the fact that it didn’t SUCK.[/quote]

Pun intended?

But this really is an awesome show! I just found it OnDemand for HBO like a month ago, right before season 2 started. I’d recommend it for sure.

In case someone has only seen a few episodes or like X are watching the dvds and dont want to get left behind, you can go to watchtvsitcoms.com and watch them online (decent screen size).

Just watched the new episode EPIC! As long as they keep that red headed Vixen ill be watching it all DAY. Any ways for all you peoples who don’t have HBO may i recommend downloading the episodes via torrents? Mininova.org + True Blood Season 2 = All the episodes at your finger tips.

[quote]usctrojansfan wrote:

On a different note, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Tara is basically the only girl on the show who has yet to get naked? What’s up with that?

She’s very sexy. Just wait…I’m sure once they realize she hasn’t been naked, it’ll be her turn.

I am curious about this Maryann chick and what she does. REMEMBER in the first season Sam told Sookie “You’d be surprised whats out there” or something like that when she found out he’s a ShapeShifter. So basically as the series go on, it just isn’t about vampires, it’ll be about all sorts of shit. Warewolves in Season three?[/quote]

Read my spoilers either up the page or on the first page. It doesn’t really give much away about the story at all. It’s something a lot of people aren’t even familiar with, so it’s not anything obvious you’re overlooking.

And I agree with Optheta - That new redhead is SMOKIN.’ And maybe the actress playing Tara doesn’t want to go nude on screen? This would be unfortunate.

Michelle Forbes is hot in this show, and the new redhead waitress.

I finally watched an episode the other day, granted I never seen any previous episodes. It was OK. I’d probably enjoy it more if I started with season 1, episode 1.

On other HBO series, I can’t wait for new season of Entourage.

[quote]ron-e wrote:
Michelle Forbes is hot in this show, and the new redhead waitress.

[/quote]

You’re talking about Daphne, the one that can’t do anything well, or the older one?

I’d take 'em both, as far as I’m concerned.

so there is no new True blood next week? Q_Q

http://www.watchtrueblood.org/

Shhhh…

The wire is one of my top two tv series ever. By far one of the most well thought out, in depth stories that kept ever relating… that, and Babylon 5, which all 5 seasons were written before the first filming took place, check it out.

This thread needs an update after all the crazy shit that’s going on.

Unfortunately I started watching True Blood from the begging of season two. Very good show though. I need to get around to watching the first season.

Btw whats up with Godrick? Why’d he do that?

Great show. We watched season 1 and 2 within about 2 weeks, now it sucks having to wait a week for a new episode.