Truck Troubles (Again)

A while back, I posted something about to some car troubles I was having, and one of the suggestions was spot on, so i figured why not do it again.

I dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to vehicles. I can drive, change my oil, break pads, tires, and spark plugs. So keep that in mind.

All current known things wrong with my truck:

Faulty tire pressure sensor. (Those fuckers are 35psi all day long)

Bad rear O2 sensor. (Emission related)

Basically, my truck occasionally gets jerky. And the RPMs jump up without shifting. Almost like it’s not getting enough air or something. This happened a few times, I noticed when sitting places for extended periods of time with my truck running.

The other night, my truck was doing this again after I left a fast food joint, then stalled. I started it back up, and it was fine.

Tonight, I was driving and noticed a bad smell. Almost like, burning something. A cross between eggs and a hint of metal. Then it started the jerky shit again. I stopped, it jerked to a stop, and after letting go of the brake, it lurched forward aggressively a couple of feet, then stalled.

I started it back up, the smell was gone, and drove fine.

Things to note:

2009 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L V8

It could have smelled bad previously, but I keep copious amounts of scent trees in my truck at all times, so maybe it was just covered up.

This seems to have become a problem with cold weather, but I dont have a big enough sample size to confirm.

Any tips?

After a brief bit of research, it appears I’m a dumbass, and it’s just that damn 02 sensor I keep putting off. Would still like confirmation though.

1 Like

Could be an O2 sensor but the poor running sounds more indicative of a bad MAF sensor. Its concerning that your truck is runni g as poorly as it is and you dont mention a CEL.

The good news is both the O2 sensor and cleaning the MAF are DIY jobs if youre so inclined.

Edit: MAP sensors can be cleaned with some Deoxit.

1 Like

What do you mean CEL?

Yet again I’m dumb. The light did trip once on a long drive, and went away after about 10 minutes, never came on again, that was when I got the 02 sensor code.

what did it end up being?

Rear O2 sensor won’t cause anything but a check engine light. It’s only job is to monitor the exhaust after it goes through the catalytic converter. It uses the reading from the front O2 (the important one) to verify the now “filtered” exhaust is clean enough.

Tore lights cause way more issues than they are worth. Ever have issues before they came out? Nope. Now everybody freaks out.

Clogged up cats usually smell rotten eggy. They can cause stalling and poor drivability.

An ignition issue can also cause a funny smell and drivability issues.

Go to your local auto parts store and have them read the codes. Tag me when you know what they are or if you have more questions.

Almost positive that motor uses a speed density system which would mean no MAF. I could be wrong… but I doubt it. I’m also too lazy to google it to see if I’m right :joy::man_shrugging:

CEL = check engine light

I had an old saturn that would do the exact same thing.

On my current car it was behaving similarly and the problem was a crack in the flexy section of the air intake hose after the maf sensor.

Conflicting information from the different sensors can create havoc in these systems.

What do you mean by the rpm’s jump without shifting? If its getting jerky and shifting awkwardly i’d get it into a trans shop asap. Have you checked trans fluid?

1 Like