TRT: Training, Recovery, and Diet

I’ve been on/off TRT for several years and have lifted on/off for several years as well. What I’m doing seems to work for me and am all in all pretty happy. However, I want to get lean and while there’s tons of diet advice out there, there’s nothing on how to approach things while on TRT.
My questions:
Can I take a bigger calorie deficit and not lose mass like someone not on hormones?
Eating some fat is good for Test production…which I am not doing now that I’m on TRT; can I cut fat altogether? Or get closer to it anyway.
Is it better to lift lower weights/more frequency or the other way around?
Will the negative muscle-sparing effects typically found while doing cardio affect me to same degree as one not on TRT?

To sum it up, should someone on TRT do anything different in approach to bodybuilding than someone not on?

You have no advantage being on TRT versus someone not on replacement therapy with regards to physique.

I’m assuming you’re on TRT for medical reasons, instead of cycling on/off TRT why aren’t you on all the time?

I think there is quite a bit of anecdotal experience to argue the opposite here. Not speaking from personal experience, but I have read accounts of exactly the opposite numerous times.

6 Likes

I agree with you Andrew I am about to turn 64 and started trt probably 8 years ago I have worked out and also pretty fit but I would not have the physique I have now if it were not for the trt.

2 Likes

Medical reasons; while I certainly didn’t look it, my T Level was like 130 when I did the initial test! Anyway, my off/on comment isn’t cycling, just my going off a couple times for a host of reasons but nothing medically-driven. Work schedule, travel, etc. got in the way a few times and I ended up off for months.
I have to think that there is a difference (maybe not an advantage per se) between being on TRT and not. Again, I’m quite happy strength/size wise, just want to get rid of some midsection fat. I’m really lean all though my upper body, some veins in quads, etc. but my damned belly…ugh.

Complicated question. What type of cardio will you be doing at what effort. What zone will you be in? Duration? Is this done in a deficit? Fasted?

You should be able to achieve a desired look quicker on TRT than not being on TRT and having low T. I feel like I look great, I have no idea if I could have achieved this look without the injections. However, while taking the injections I was motivated to push harder on my workouts. So, it’s hard to know for sure, but I look the best at this point versus the younger me.

Also, you can’t inject T and expect the desired outcome. You have to still out in the work and sacrifice.

I’ve written about a dozen responses…but in the end I’d just ask why you feel it necessary to make such an offensive statement? My question is simple and your answer completely unrelated.

Does TRT alter one’s approach to lifting and diet? Experiential, anecdotal or scientific answers would be great.

1 Like

What’s offensive?

Not really. Having optimal T levels versus clinically low shouldn’t affect training methods but will greatly change your results. Regarding nutrition the results of increased muscle mass should allow you to consume more calories and still maintain a net positive body composition again if comparing to one with low testosterone.

@theinneroh was not being offensive. Seriously people on here need to grow a pair. If you wanted to hear something specific open “Johnspies “ forum with your own rules for reply. Otherwise you get what you get on here.

3 Likes

Cos it’s not any different: eat less, lose weight. Badda boom

1 Like

Yes, you can.

Yes, you can.

Yes, to the first one, bodybuilders use more volume for a reason.

Nope, there are reasons bodybuilders use this stuff.

Of course, these guys train differently when on than when off.

1 Like

Please elaborate and I do mean that in a respectful wanting to learn way. I personally trained my hardest rotating in different plans every couple months both with clinically low T and with TRT. My training didn’t altogether change much but would love to hear your experience. Full on cycling of course… different sorry all together.

I’m not saying they do not train hard all the time. Reps and set schemes, load, volume, exercises would change dependent on the particular training phase, on/off cycling, etc. I think we’re saying the same thing, different plans.

My experience was in weightlifting, not bodybuilding, though I think the same elements would apply, just differently.

1 Like

So it’s probably me that’s the problem here so just please disregard. I work 6-7 days a week and am tired AF so read your comment re my work put into this as at least condescending.
I’ve lifted lots of the years and have always worked damned hard. Argue the merits if one wants but I enjoy lifting to failure or just shy so a suggestion I’m not put me off. I’ll apologize and move forward. Thanks

1 Like

Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers.

False, you definitely do have an advantage with physique. Unless you are the exception micro dosing your T staying in the 400-500 TT range at all times.

Welcome to online forums in general haha. Its full Broski PhDs that simply turn a lot of people away from even posting on here.

Honestly when ever I see @highpull post is when I give the most attention and give a sigh of relief knowing there will be some wisdom in the thread and good information.

Yeah I mean we should totally assume the OP wants to be a couch potato, not touch any weight, and eat Dorritos all day while asking if he maintains that lifestyle if TRT would help his physique. You guys are beyond ridiculous lol.

All things being equal a hefty TRT dose will in fact improve his physique, YES. Also in that sense yes constantly maintaining a higher level T 24/7 will give him some leeway in certain areas, yes results will be better. More cardio and a bigger calorie deficit due to higher levels on TRT? YES. Can he possibly get away with eating a slice of carrot cake compared to previous? YES! More time for the gym and reduced recovery time while on TRT, YES!

Yes.

No. Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, are fatty acids that humans and other animals must ingest because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them.

No. Whatever you do consistently and progressively is going to work for you.

I’d argue there are no negative muscle effects from cardio.
unless one is running marathons or something else very extreme, cardio is not negative to muscle building/sparing presuming protein is right and daily calories are right.

no