T Nation

TRT Side Effects

This is curiosity question. Hope it is ok.

When one is simply replacing Test and maybe keeping it on the higher end (still within natural levels) are side effects like hair loss, oily skin, and acne still an issue?

Those “side effects” are mostly a genetic response to the levels of T and other hormones. But, in general, even high-normal T levels will increase the likelihood that a person will experience those problems. Remember, making sure your E2 is controlled will mitigate most T “side effects”.

I second Nash’s statement. If you were predisposed to hairloss then the higher DHT can accelerate it. It won’t cause hairloss though if its not in your genetics. Oily skin and acne would be associated either way if you had natural or exogenous T. Again, assuming you were genetically prone to it. The major side effects you read about are from people cycling high amounts of testosterone well above normal levels.

Surprisingly, raising my T has caused some of my MPB to grow back. Supposedly, if you are low T, the body compensates by raising DHT, resulting in many of the androgenic sides you are talking about.

Thanks if I may ask another question.

Would there be issues with starting “TRT” at around 30 yrs of age as a preemptive strike to the natural drop off the will begin. Say around 100mg a week to keep you at natural genetic elite levels.

YOU realize that TRT is for life. Starting before you have low T and symptoms is not TRT. Also exogenous T shuts down your natural T and can have negative effects on fertility. Besides, you won’t find a doc who will prescribe TRT if you don’t meet the criteria.

I am only 24 so, do not plan on doing this.

Yes, I realize it is for life but, I figure if your test will begin to naturally drop off and you plan on weightlifting and staying “optimal” for as long as you can that TRT will have to be done. Why not start when it begins to fall? Can you not take precautions to stay fertile.

Starting before you have low T and symptoms is not TRT but, neither is taking the 150- 250 mg a week many do.

To me the dose you take is not what determines whether it’s TRT or not. It lab results that matter. If your dose puts you at high normal for both TT and FT then it’s TRT. If your dose puts you at supraphysiologic levels then it’s roids.

If it were me, I’d put off TRT until you absolutely needed it.

If you want to stay optimal, SERMs are probably the way to go. T production does seem to drop off with age, if yours does you want to find out if you are primary or secondary and treat accordingly.