T Nation

TRT... for Mom?

Long story short: My mom has hypothyroidism and still complains of symptoms. With being recently diagnosed with hypogonadism myself I learned about the under-treatment of hypothyroidism and decided to look into managing her symptoms. Everything looks pretty good and it didn't cross my mind to check her free testosterone but on a recent lab report she came in at 11ng/dL (range 10-38).

I have no idea where to go from here as I am ignorant to TRT in women. Anyone have some good reading material or advice?

I would think that they would give her levothyroxine or some other med. TRT is NOT for women, unless you want your mom looking like Nicole Bass. I think your confusing hypothyroidism with hypogonadism.

[quote]ironwill68 wrote:
I would think that they would give her levothyroxine or some other med. TRT is NOT for women, unless you want your mom looking like Nicole Bass. I think your confusing hypothyroidism with hypogonadism.[/quote]

Not entirely true. Women can be low-T as well; it has myriad important functions in their bodies, just as estrogen does in ours. Sex drive, lean body mass, cardiovascular health are all partially dependent on T, just as they are for men. T replacement in women (at doses appropriate to their physiology of course) is definitely a new frontier, but it is out there.

Just as with men, supraphysiologic levels are not the goal…normal to high-normal is the goal. Obviously you’re not going to put a woman on 100mg/wk…A woman with normal T (for a woman) will not experience androgenic effects. Why would she?

Before looking at TRT I would see if she is being prescribed a thyroid medication with both t4 and t3…such as armour thyroid. Many people with hypothroid get a t4 only medication and still complain about symptoms even though their labs are fine.

Not entirely true. Women can be low-T as well; it has myriad important functions in their bodies, just as estrogen does in ours. Sex drive, lean body mass, cardiovascular health are all partially dependent on T, just as they are for men. T replacement in women (at doses appropriate to their physiology of course) is definitely a new frontier, but it is out there.[/quote]

I know two women who were prescribed low doses of T for exactly those reasons.

[quote]rtm27 wrote:
Not entirely true. Women can be low-T as well; it has myriad important functions in their bodies, just as estrogen does in ours. Sex drive, lean body mass, cardiovascular health are all partially dependent on T, just as they are for men. T replacement in women (at doses appropriate to their physiology of course) is definitely a new frontier, but it is out there.[/quote]

I know two women who were prescribed low doses of T for exactly those reasons.[/quote]

I know one as well. She’s my mom, actually. She uses some tiny amount of T cream every day and says it’s worked wonders for her, with no ill effects. Fortunately she goes to a GP who is very literate on endocrine issues and very much in favor of treating them.