TRT for 6mo, Low Thyroid, Fat Gain

34 years old
I’ve battled obesity since childhood, always must think about eating and exercise. I have thyroid info going back to 1993. Always on the low side, goes clinical low when dieting, never prescribed any supplemental Thyroid. Carry fat like a woman. Some Gyno.

Question: Why is my thyroid low? Is current T reading reasonable? Plan to introduce Ai based on E2 levels.

In 2008, started noticing slow recovery, fatigue, aches/pains and basically no interest in training although pressed on. Libido low.

This got progressively worse through 2011.

Went to my General Doc here is what we found.

All EZ Quest

Pre-TRT

9/2008: Test, T: 340 ng/dL;
1.67% Free
T F: 56.8 pg/mL
TSH: 1.89 (.40-4.5 mIU/L

Pre-TRT

05/11: Test, T: 225 ng/dL; (241-827)
FSH 3.5 (1.6-8 mIU/mL);
LH 3.8 (1.5-9.3 mIU/mL)
Prolactin: 7.6 (2.0-18.0)
TSH: 1.99
E2: 16 (13-54 pg/ML)

NOW TRT

Put on 200 mg Test-C monthly at this point. Single injection, remeasure at low point.

07/11: Test T: 210 ng/dL

Doc increased dosage to 200 mg every 2 weeks. Remeasure at low point in 120 days.

**NOTE: Minor improvement in perceived libido - very cyclical (assume due to shots spread too far apart). Substantial weight gain - increase waist circumference to 38-39" from 36". Some bloating. Some gains in strength - bench up considerably. The increase in body fat was not expected. Some shortness of breathe.

11/11: Doc ordered full labs and E2 at my request.
Test T 356 ng/dL (241-827)
2.5 % Free;
89.9 pg/ML
E2 37 (13-54 pg/ML) **Increased 200%)
FSH-Q: <.7
LH: <.2
Prolactin: 5.7 (2.0-18.0 ng/dL)

TSH: 2.76; (.40-4.5 mIU/L) Much higher than previously
T3 Uptake: 49 (22-35%); High
T-4 Total: 2.6 (4.5-12.0 mcg/dL); LOW
Free T4 1.3 (1.4-3.8) LOW

So, bottom line. My diet isn’t great. I do drink alcohol. I’m doing 5-6 days/week of 30-60 min cardio sessions including running and spinning. I’ve switched to circuit weight training for 30-40 min 2x/week with HR around 130. I’m getting fatter.

Doc has ordered a Thyroid rescan in 30 days.

welcome onboard…

have you read any of the sticky threads at the top?

biweekly 200mg is a horrible treatment plan… 200mg monthly should be considered malicious malpractice.

all you are currently doing is subjecting your body to massive hormone swings, raising your estradiol, straining your adrenals, and comprimising your thyroid. you would be better off not taking any HRT medication if this is your only other options.

Have you called around to any local compounding pharmacies? Can you change doctors?

Agree with PC that you need to move to twice weekly (minimum) shots and dial yourself in a little better. The wild swings make it hard to put a lot of stock in your bloodwork, but you do appear to have a thyroid issue.

It probably didn’t show up before because your Test was so low before that your entire body had somewhat downregulated your hormone production. Now that you are swinging T wildly, your other systems are struggling to keep up. Stabilizing your dosages will help this some, but you may need to keep an eye on it more closely and address when you are dialed in.

Thnx for the replies, I’ve been on the site lurking for a long time appreciate the stickies. My background is in science so I understand the biochemistry of half-life, esters, etc.

I self inject, so I’ve ordered some smaller pins - can’t inject EOD with 22 - 1.5" My work schedule requires travel during the week and my preference is not to travel with the meds.

I’ve played this doc’s game, using myself as an experiment. It hasn’t been ideal. At least this doc didn’t tell me after 10 min of discussion…“when you start exercising, you’ll lose that weight.” I actually had an MD tell me in High School after I’d gone from 274# to 154# running 8-10 miles a day and weight training 7x/week. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if I hadn’t just spent 10 minutes explaining my situation.

I’ll keep you posted on the thyroid, that’s my concern. The E2 going from 16-37 is obviously not helping my mood, water and ability to lose fat. Anyone else who has seen similar, please comment.

I’m 10 days into AI treatment using arimidex Liquid - .25 mg EOD as well as injecting 2x weekly with 50iu 1/2 pins per the stickies.

I can see the water retention and bloat subsiding and my mood is MUCH better!! I went to the gym today for a quick circuit workout before my flight and felt better than I have in months. Thanks for the tips.

I’m hoping to see some fat loss, as I won’t be overeating because I am annoyed. We’ll see where the thyroid ends up in a few weeks.