TRT Causing Depressive Symptoms

Good afternoon to those reading, I am 25 years old (6’1 210lbs 14%BF) and trying to dial in my TRT after years of AAS abuse, coming off for months with not much recovery and finally here we are at hormone replacement. Per my TRT doc, he put me on 500IU hcg each day along with 250mg testosterone per week. Reason for the HCG dose was to see how my natural T responds, and I will say strangely I feel a better sense of well being/ mood from the HCG but the test feels like it neutralizes that. A lot of factors are ringing bells as to why testosterone is making me feel more sluggish tired and depressed and I do know this per my last blood test:
(Re testing soon to re evaluate these levels)

DHEA- 150
Pregnenolone- 5
T-3 reverse- 24
free T3- 3.4
free T4- 1.2
TSH 1.56
Thyroglobulin antibodies- <1
Thyroid peridoxase antibodies 2 IU/ML

Cortisol urinary test completed, waiting on results. Also not having any estro sides/ issues, so I am willing to rule that out.

Hopefully someone with similar issues can chime in as to why test can be causing a depressive effect on my system. Thank you.

I don’t see Estradiol test results. Are you taking any aromatase inhibitor?

250mg/wk test is a really high TRT dose.

I’m no expert, but I’d say your E2 levels are too high, causing your symptoms. But there’s no way to know for sure, without it being tested.

250/wk plus 500iu hcg a day is a lot. E2 results would be interesting…

these tests are a bit old, from December, the estradiol wasn’t posted because it would be irrelevant for how old it is, but I am re testing this week so I can post current Test/ Estrogen levels for further critique. But so far it seems that’s the main concern at this point so I will check it out on the new labs. Mainly wondering if the thyroid adrenal/ dhea pregnenolone is a main factor on top of the high/low E

I am not taking an AI because my E level was at less than 5 before I got on so I know it needed some time to come back up. I normally can tell when I have high E because I get really moody and irritable, right now I feel more zombie like, depressed low emotion and no motivation.

I would be shocked if your E2 was not way to high. Well you are lean that helps a lot but “500IU hcg each day along with 250mg testosterone per week” That is a shit ton of HCG and a very high dose of testosterone. That much of ether one can blow your E2 through the roof, Depression or any mood swing really is a classic symptom of it.

thanks for your input, I will be testing this week so as soon as I get those results ill update this post.

Need E2 tested, not total estrogens.

If you are on anastrozole then test E2, we can calculate a dose correction. But you would need to be on a steady amount for a while prior.

If taking T, 250iu hCG SC EOD is all that you need. 3500iu hCG per week can easily lead to very high T–>E2 inside the testes with high SERM E2 levels and anastrozole does not work inside your testes.

Doing 250mg T per week and taking hCG to see your natural production is impossible.

If thyroid function is poor, TRT can make some feel bad as thyroid cannot support the metabolic demands of TRT.

Now go back to your first thread in this forum where we have context of labs etc. Read the stickies suggested there and eval overall thyroid function as requested.

Please maintain one thread for your case.

Update on labs with a lot of info, was feeling decent last week now feeling totally dysfunctional again

Total testosterone: 1003
Free testosterone: 318 high, higher than last labs
Estradiol: 53 high, higher than last labs (was <5)
SHBG: 10 low, lower than last labs (was 24)
TSH: 2.12 in range, higher than last labs (was 1.52)
Free t3: 3.2 in range, lower than last labs (was 3.4)
Free t4: 1.2 in range, lower than last labs (was 1.3)
Reverse t3: 28 high, worse than last labs (was 24)
Aldosterone: 4 very low (adrenal hormone)
DHEA: 364 in range, higher than last labs (was 151)
Vitamin D: 41 in range, higher than last labs (was 39)
IGF1- 309 in range, higher than last labs (was 261)

So far I’ve still been having really nasty issues, a few good days with morning wood, motivation etc then it’s like hitting a wall and I can’t get off the couch. From what I understand my thyroid is haywire and adrenals may be the issue. Thoughts from vets? Thank you

Saying that a thyroid lab result is “in range” is meaningless when the ranges are simply bogus. Need lab ranges posted.

E2=53 is killing you

If you had read my prior post fully, you would be discussing your use or non-use of anastrozole and hCG.

I asked that we drop this thread.

Now go back to your first thread in this forum where we have context of labs etc. Read the stickies suggested there and eval overall thyroid function as requested.

Please maintain one thread for your case.

Take labs to your other thread please.