TRT + Antidepressants?

I am currently taking 75mg weekly of test. I just started and thats the dosage my doc reccomended. He likes to under dose what he thinks the patient needs then reevaluates it after a few months. My question is is there any complications between anti depressants and taking trt? My doc will give me prozac or wellbutrin. I may opt well butrin because I want the energy from it and prozac most likely will give me sexual side effects.

Wellburtrin can cause seizures and I was also thinking about upping my dosage to 200mg-300mg for 20 weeks or so to gain tiny advantage in the gym. At 200-300mg and wellbutrin will that cause me to be way to stimulated and awake? Any other tips and advice you can give me will be much appreciated. I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. I currently see a endo for TRT and a phyciatrist for my antidepressant meds. I will ask their take on this matter as well.

thanks.

Seizures with Wellbutrin were from early practices with high doses that are not used now. And the potential for such things resides in the patient and those at risk will have concerns with several drugs, not just this on. And high doses with fast acting created spikes in levels that were triggers.

How long on TRT. Getting both T and E2 right will be critical to your mental state and mood.

We do see guys with low T who have doctors prescribe SSRI’s for there hypogonadism symptoms.

I use Wellbutrin to increase dopamine and improve mood. I can’t comment on ‘severe depression’. My experience with 50mg/day fast acting.

How long have I been on TRT? 8 Weeks about. What do you think my E2 lvls should be? I think I go for a blood test in 1 month. I already have my blood work paper that I give to the blood lab to get tested. The only two things checked off are CBC and testosterone. Does CBC include e2 lvl checking?

I’m on generic Effexor for major depression (which I had before I was diagnosed primary hypogonadal). I’ve had no issues between the antidepressant therapy and the TRT. If anything, TRT has helped with the depression, but I still feel it’s effects albeit more stable in mood.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Seizures with Wellbutrin were from early practices with high doses that are not used now. And the potential for such things resides in the patient and those at risk will have concerns with several drugs, not just this on. And high doses with fast acting created spikes in levels that were triggers.

How long on TRT. Getting both T and E2 right will be critical to your mental state and mood.

We do see guys with low T who have doctors prescribe SSRI’s for there hypogonadism symptoms.

I use Wellbutrin to increase dopamine and improve mood. I can’t comment on ‘severe depression’. My experience with 50mg/day fast acting.

[/quote]
What KSam just said is critical here. According to my Dr. what is thought to be depression in men, just might be Low T and getting that right is crucial to your mental state. Good to hear your Dr. is on top of it.

Sorry I meant KSman.
Pugger, how old are you? How long have you been taking anti depressants? What were your T levels prior starting TRT?
Everyone is different and how they respond, but my Dr. switched me a long time ago from Wellbutrin to Lexapro to deal with my anxiety. And I did feel MUCH better. You mentioned your hesitation with Prozac because of the possibility of sexual side effects, if Wellbutrin doesn’t work for you maybe discuss with your Dr. about trying out Lexapro. My Dr. thinks it’s one of the cleanest SSRI’s on the market. I will say for me now that I’ve been on TRT for almost 6 months (I’m on 200 mg. of Test Cyp. a week and 1/4 of Arimidex twice weekly: I still need to get with KSman and get straight on his TRT protocol as my t levels are around 450, but it’s much better than t levels hovering around 175) I’ve been able to cut my anti depressant meds in half and if I get my t levels to where they should be (again, I need to consult with KSman) who knows I might be able to go off anti depressants all together. Baby steps.
But, good for you Pugger. It sounds like you are the right path.

CBC is blood chemistry and cell counts. No hormones. You will not get E2 tested with that lab slip.

No way to predict your E2 levels except to say probably higher than desired.

And the above needs to be part of your main thread.