T Nation

TRT and Zero Sperm Count

So I joined here because I’m hoping for some help. My husband has been on trt, monotherapy testosterone cyiopiante injections 100mg/week for 3 years. He was diagnosed secondary low t from a side effect of a medication he was on. I was 5 months pregnant with our first child at the time. We were not aware the effect it would have on sperm count. Fast forward to today and we have been trying for a child for a few months to no avail. I stumbled across information stating that trt will basically give you a zero sperm count. We had an SA done this week and it came back today at zero count. He was prescribed test from his PC dr and he’s now saying he needs to refer us to an Endo or urologist. However, there are none that specialize in fertility in our area. Any advice would be really helpful as I’m 37 and we don’t have a ton of time in terms of trying to conceive. He is terrified to go off trt for how horrible he felt prior to starting this treatment

If he plans to stay on TRT he will need to supplement luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) LH is pretty cheap(70 bucks for 12,000iu) that is with HCG. The average HCG dose is 800-1500iu/wk.
but syn FSH is kind of expensive (1200iu about a months worth for $350)

He could also come off TRT and try a testis restart using clomid. At least being secondary (hypothalamic-pituitary) he has a chance.

I don’t know if its possible but HCG might help kickstart things for him. It just depends on how much damage has been done to the testes over those three years of being shut down.

Thank you for your help. We are looking for a Dr. that would be willing to try the hcg and FSH combo for 3-4 months and retest SA. If at that point, things aren’t heading in the right direction…then try coming off test completely and adding in Clomid. Finding a doc willing to help us is a different story. The GP that put him on the test is now wanting to just pass him on and we have no fertility endos or urologists locally.

This forum has weird rules about posting links and such if the link is not a sponsor.
Google Defy and give them a call it is free. They are more an anti aging clinic but I do believe Dr Saya could help you two. For full disclosure I am a defy patient but I am not affiliated with them.

Thank you so much! I called a clinic 4 states away yesterday, so I’m definitely open to anything. Thank you!

So if we start an hcg and hmg protocol…what sort of things should we be testing him for monthly in terms of monitoring his health? Blood test wise?

I have no experience with HMG. Is the hmG for you?
As for blood checks with HCG there really is none that I am aware of.
HCG mono will raise a mans E2 not sure that needs checking monthly.

googled:
What is hMG Injection used for?

When is My Hmg 150 IU Injection prescribed? This medicine is used to treat infertility in women who have not undergone menopause but are unable to conceive due to hormonal imbalances in the body. This medicine is used to treat male infertility caused due to lack of specific hormonal secretion deficit in the body.

No the HMG is for him for fsh.