TRT and Kidney Function

Hey guys!

I am just inquiring to see if anyone can help me in understanding the effects of TRT on Kidney function. I’ve always understood TRT to be metabolized in the liver, however, it appears that it is my creatinine(high), BUN(high) and my GFR(low) that are being affected and raising some red flags, while my liver remains healthy. I am also on 50mg clomid ED for 3 out of 4 weeks too for full disclosure. I am not hypertensive and am otherwise apparently health with no flank pain or symptoms of any kind really.

Doctors(even endocrinologists) can’t seem to tell me exactly why it’s affecting my kidneys except for saying that it is. Everything I have read thus far contradicts what they’re saying. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Also, I am on .4ml test cypionate biweekly(180 mg/ week).

For how long?

Since you are on an oral pill (clomid) I would suspect that as the cause first.

I’ve been on TRT for 3-4 years and kidney function has been declining for 1 year or so. I started Clomid about 6 months ago. Over a year ago I was on anastrozle for a short while, so at first I assumed it was that. Even after I stopped the anastrozle though and up until I starting clomid my labs were declining still.

That was my initial assumption as well, but my labs started declining even prior to starting the clomid.

Ive also heard anecdotal stories about t excretion putting stress ok the kidneys, but I specifically asked a very good TRT doctor in a long consultation about that yesterday and he called that BS. If you have kidney issues you should look for other reasons.
What is your protocol?

Testosterone has an impact on the renin angiotensin system which plays a major role in the bodies fluid homeostasis. T leads to an increased reabsoption of sodium and and an increased excretion of potassium by the kidneys and thats why a significant portion of TRT starters experiences some degree of fluid retention with a minor portion experiencing an elevated blood pressure. Typically this effect if only temporary as the system adapts quite quickly.

Do you have a history of hypertension, preTRT or on TRT? Can you share some lab values? Ultrasound scan done? Both kidneys affected or just one? If only one, is it the left one and has the drainage system been check for the presence of PUJ?

Other than is TRT has been proposed to be protective and may delay the progression of chronic kidney disease (Goel et al 2017). But the data is really sparse on that topic.

3 Likes

It sounds like its probably unrelated.

That’s my guess.

What are your next steps?

I have been on TRT since 2012 and now seeing both higher Creatinine levels (41) and higher liver scores (200s range). This is just recently. I am glad this topic has surfaced. I use test-cyp, injection. 50 ml every other week.

@beareller What is your test level?

And how many mg is 50ml? Injection on every two weeks seems highly suboptimal and putting your system on a roller coaster

test is at 516. I was on 50 every week but sent results over. Trying to look for any strong relation to kidney and liver function to TRT but the only things found are how they can positively effect them. Began taking a Liver Support with Milk Thistle recently. Any other suggestions?

I did not understand what was the problem when you were on 50 every week?

Also I highly doubt you feel optimal at 516, there are few people who do at such levels, but they are minority

Are you a drinker? Would suggest Tudca for liver support.

You aren’t taking 50ml. That would literally be grams of testosterone.

Maybe it’s 50 UNITS or 0.5ml, but not 50ml

Very rarely long term TRT is associated with the development of hepatocellular adenomas. Did you get an ultrasound scan of your liver? Might be a good idea.

Don’t drink at all or use Tylenol

1 Like

I have not yet. But may have to depending upon what the next steps are.