TRT and High BP?

Hello. I am 38yo 6’1" and 156lbs. Have been on trt for a year and a half. Things have been good. I inject 150mg/wk of test-c in quads. I do drops of adex EOD. I take fish oil, B complex & B-12, C&E, D3,L-arginine, CoQ10,daily vita, and a baby asprin.

Ever since I can remember my blood pressure has been high. Well after a 1&1/2 of recorded elevated BP my doc wanted me on med. She did an ekg and heart has not enlarged. Two readings 157/91 the one after ekg 164/110. The lowest over past year 141/89. So they are putting me on amlodipine besylate 5mg(Norvasc). Should I have any worries of how this will effect trt? I tried a search.

But the threads seem to stay general and short. I also have recently started a 5x5 lifting program. I want to gain weight. My eating habits are clean. Wheat bread, chicken, venison, fruits and veg. My wife eats very clean and follows mediterranean food pyramid therefore that’s my situation. No processed foods. I have been trying to get 3000+ cals/day.

Anybody have experience with this med? Anything to worry about with trt? Thanks and hope I covered everything.

Most recent labs 11/13

WBC 7.90 3.70 - 11.00 k/uL
RBC 6.12 4.20 - 6.00 m/uL H
Hemoglobin 17.3 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL H
Hematocrit 51.3 39.0 - 51.0 % H
MCV 83.8 80.0 - 100.0 fL
MCH 28.3 26.0 - 34.0 pG
MCHC 33.7 30.5 - 36.0 g/dL
RDW-CV 13.1 11.5 - 15.0 %
Platelet Count 224 150 - 400 k/uL
MPV 11.0 9.0 - 12.7 fL
Testosterone 635 220 - 1000 ng/dL
Testosterone Free % 3.6 0.5 - 3.2 % H
Testosterone Free 230.4 40 - 240 pg/mL
TSH 1.630 0.400 - 5.500 uU/mL
ALT 29 5 - 50 U/L
Glucose 90 65 - 100 mg/dL
BUN 7 10 - 25 mg/dL L
Creatinine 1.15 0.70 - 1.40 mg/dL
Sodium 140 135 - 146 mmol/L
Potassium 4.3 3.5 - 5.0 mmol/L
Chloride 104 98 - 110 mmol/L
CO2 27 23 - 32 mmol/L
Anion Gap 9 0 - 15 mmol/L
Calcium 9.8 8.5 - 10.5 mg/dL

Curious to see some answers here. Even though your readings are just above range, on your Hemoglobin and Hematocrit, could donating blood lower your blood pressure seeing that should lower your red blood cell count and thin your blood? Not sure if this logic is correct or not, or if that could help enough anyway.

Yeah my Endo decided to check my hemo after I told him I believed my blood was thick. Anytime I would get cut or after injections my blood was seemed thick. He was worried about my BP before he put me on trt. He told me to watch my sodium and try to lower it with diet.

Now it has been 1 1/2 years and still high. Recently I have had to wear one of those fit trackers mandatory through my insurance. I have been meeting the activity quota by 6pm. So I am active. The doctor said that’s why I needed this BP med. I am not over weight. I am active. And I eat clean.

I never hear anyone donating blood to lower there blood pressure but do hear of them donating there blood to lower there high red blood cell count which works and avoids the medication to lower the red blood cell count and thin the blood. This works but not sure if it actually would lower your BP. Can’t understand why it wouldn’t though. I’m worried about this because my hemoglobin and Hematocrit were at top of range when my T was low end on gel, but my T is high end on shots and I’m guessing that will push those over range and make my blood too thick as well. I’ve heard that guys in this situation donate blood and that solves the problem.

I have searched the donating blood idea. They say it lowers BP for a short time. They state the body will regulate back to it’s regular BP.

“The cardio vascular system does have feedback mechanisms to keep the BP at a certain level, such as increasing the heart rate or using vasoconstriction.”

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker. The effects are reduced contractility of the heart, and systemic vasodilation of the resistance vessels (smooth muscles around arterioles pre-capillary beds relax). Grapefruit juice will reduce the metabolism of this drug and result in increased serum levels. Peripheral edema (fluid retention in the tissues) is common. I wouldn’t think it would be a problem for TRT.

Your blood work shows a slight predisposition to extra RBCs and Hct. There is a difference between taking 81mg of ASA and taking the enteric coated ASA. One lasts for 4 hours, the other all day. A baby aspirin only gives you 4 hours of protection. But it’s a good idea. Just make sure to eat something with it and watch for any GI symptoms like black stools or blood.

To help your BP try to reduce sodium and increase potassium. Increasing potassium will help clear excess sodium in your urine. Where your sodium levels are at right now is asking the hypothalamus to produce anti-diuretic hormone in your posterior pituitary which causes the kidneys to retain more water in the blood and also constrict the arterioles.

Any history of tobacco? Alcoholism? At your age and with your high BP getting your HbA1C checked is a good idea. It will give you an idea if there is any glucose storage problem or insulin dysfunction. HBA1C gives an indication of the average blood sugar levels over the past 3 months. You want to see it lower than 6%. Anything over 6.5% and you’ll want to watch what you eat.

Thanks for the info. I do not smoke. And hardly drink. I am lucky to consume 2 drinks at once per month. Heart attacks and heart problems run on my fathers side. Yet my father smokes and drinks weekly and his BP is fine.

Irrespective of the BP issue, which I think it would help, go drop off a pint of blood. Those numbers are too high and your just making your body work harder to push that thick blood around the body. After you drop a pint your crit will only drop 2-4 points so it is not like losing a pint is really going to lower it that much, perhaps consider scheduling a donation every three/four months for a year.

When I initially needed to drop my crit I had something like 8 pints pulled in 12 weeks, since then I keep my crit at ~43. Anticdotally I have low/normal BP and unless your are trying to be a endurance superhero (which i doubt if you are on this site) lowering it is not going to hurt your workouts or your test levels that much (which look good),