T Nation

Troy Polamalu Training Article

I went to Marv Marinovich’s web site and looked at his book on Amazon.com. In the book he claims to have squatted 1175 pounds in a weightroom showdown against world-class powerlifters and olympic lifters after putting every 100 pound plate in the gym on the bar and chaining 100 pound dumbbells to it when he ran out of plates. Yeah, and I cock-pressed 600 last night in a showdown against Ron Jeremy.

[quote]Yoda-x wrote:
Yeah, and I cock-pressed 600 last night in a showdown against Ron Jeremy.[/quote]

Who won?

guys that make it to the league arent making it on their S&C skills or performance…some of my friends that went to the league or know others who have, are quite blatant about how many guys dont like to train, or coaches and players themselves are worried about getting hurt or this and that where millons of dollars are at stake…so they wont continue doing the sorts of things they may have in their college S&C programs…but they can ball thats what matters…people will do HIT or machine based workouts, or not go balls to the wall in the big core lifts…I about puked when I saw that stupid “Star Wars” band workout that TC did in M&F with some lil bald dude in GA who thought that was the next big thing in S&C…you will never be able to produce power with workouts like that, Im sure they have their benefits but it aint gonna be creating any great force or velocity!

many athletes are great despite of how they train, which is why the normal Joe following their workouts might not be the most efficient way to improve their athletic performance…I had guys on my college team who could eat snickers, pound kegs, and smoke blunts every night and still have 6 pack abs, run a 4.4, bench 400, and be all league…unfortunately I was not that lucky! I was a short, bowl legged, pigeon toed, injury prone western pa guy who had to eat strict and train my a$$ off to do well

Bump. Saw him play yesterday and he is all over the place. Great athlete and probably 100 less than other Somoans. Those guys just show up and bench 405 without doing anything.

[quote]chubs108 wrote:
It’s Samoan. darn amerikans[/quote]

Sorry.

I agree with what was said earlier. He is already strong, and only needs to get faster at this point to become a better player. This goal of his, is not shared by everyone in the league though. If an offensive line was forced to do this workout, i doubt they would get anything out of it.

I am shocked…SHOCKED!

Someone doing somthing different than what is pushed through this and most other sites and they get ripped. People say it won’t work for the masses yet they know absolutely nothing of the practices involved.

“It will be the downfall of the league if the NFL adopted these philosophies” someone wrote (paraphrased).

“He’s Samoan.” “He’s naturally gifted.”

It just never ends on this site. You guys pride yourself on being different than anyone in your gym, then you are exposed to something different and you dismiss it without even considering it or doing any research because some expert from this site didn’t dream it up himself.

Believe it or not fellas, there is more to life and fitness and muscle than can be garnered from this or any one source of information.

The ref is a bum.
Tony is a natural Samoan.

These will be the last 2 things I remember from T-Nation. Is this the real T-dudes who can’t even give some respect to Terrell Owens for the obvious work he puts into his body? I sure liked watching Marvin Harrison pouting on the sidelines this weekend. Real T-man there.

Adios

[quote]Navin Johnson wrote:
Bump. Saw him play yesterday and he is all over the place. Great athlete and probably 100 less than other Somoans. Those guys just show up and bench 405 without doing anything.[/quote]

Yeah, and all the Brothers show up and knock out a 4.3 without even taking off their warmups.

As other people have stated, he is naturally gifted. Take, for an example, Nick Hatch. I remember someone posting a video of him squatting 777 pounds and he’s in the 148 class. One hell of a powerlifter and he’s not even 20! I read up on what he does for diet, and this is what he said, “Two Arby’s roast beef and a curly fry. That is shortly after a meal of Fruity Pebbles and donuts. Seriously, I only concentrate on keeping my protein up. Other than that I really don’t care.” His first bench workout, he did 250 @ 119 pounds. If that isn’t naturally gifted, I don’t know what is.

I think its great that people have different training techniques and it sure gives a break from the weights.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
As other people have stated, he is naturally gifted. Take, for an example, Nick Hatch. I remember someone posting a video of him squatting 777 pounds and he’s in the 148 class. One hell of a powerlifter and he’s not even 20! I read up on what he does for diet, and this is what he said, “Two Arby’s roast beef and a curly fry. That is shortly after a meal of Fruity Pebbles and donuts. Seriously, I only concentrate on keeping my protein up. Other than that I really don’t care.” His first bench workout, he did 250 @ 119 pounds. If that isn’t naturally gifted, I don’t know what is.

I think its great that people have different training techniques and it sure gives a break from the weights. [/quote]

Maybe what it really shows is what truly is important. Especially for some one who is 20. All this P&f and P&C and never C&F isn’t all it’s made out to be.

Working hard,smart, and consistantly is worth 10x all the minutiae worrried about by most here. Especially the newbs.

Gifted–most world class athletes are.
But they didn’t all get there or maximize their abilities the same way. It gives credence to other forms of working out. To be dismissed so lightly is foolish.

I now marv personally and have actually spent alot of time learning his methods to see what actually works and why. ( believe me it is not the reason he says).

Trust me on this he has way more failures then success stories.

I work with alot of Orthopedic and chiro/ART guys down here who fix alot of his athletes after the 2nd year with him.

As always there are some valuable things he does( re: Movement)
but for the most part my athletes run faster, knock his over, are injured MUCH less, and dont leave me after 2 years because they detrained all their power and explosiveness.

Maybe he can get together with Paul Check and apply their logic and defend it to the world with a few success stories while truely hiding their overall record.

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
I am shocked…SHOCKED!

Someone doing somthing different than what is pushed through this and most other sites and they get ripped. People say it won’t work for the masses yet they know absolutely nothing of the practices involved.

“It will be the downfall of the league if the NFL adopted these philosophies” someone wrote (paraphrased).

“He’s Samoan.” “He’s naturally gifted.”

It just never ends on this site. You guys pride yourself on being different than anyone in your gym, then you are exposed to something different and you dismiss it without even considering it or doing any research because some expert from this site didn’t dream it up himself.

Believe it or not fellas, there is more to life and fitness and muscle than can be garnered from this or any one source of information.

The ref is a bum.
Tony is a natural Samoan.

These will be the last 2 things I remember from T-Nation. Is this the real T-dudes who can’t even give some respect to Terrell Owens for the obvious work he puts into his body? I sure liked watching Marvin Harrison pouting on the sidelines this weekend. Real T-man there.

Adios

[/quote]

Good points. But Polamalu’s training does seem to run counter to what some of the most successful strength coaches preach. As people said, he had a great strength base coming out of college, and if you’re squatting 600 and benching 400 as anything besides a lineman, you’re probably better served working on your agility, flexibility, etc. Anyhow, he’s a great player, and he got screwed out of that pick Sunday.

And TO is a special case, because his attitude and wasted talent are so sickening that it’s understandable that some people are blind to his work ethic and physique.

Ibelieve I remember reading that Marv got his ideas from watching animals and how they move. I enjoy reading different approaches and have no problem with it. Seems he probably does all “funcional” work and plyometrics which just stimulate his CNS and don’t add any weight. I wish Testosterone would interview him although I can’t blame him if he turned them down. I have been interested in him since his son was in high school (before So Cal and The Raiders).

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
I am shocked…SHOCKED!

Someone doing somthing different than what is pushed through this and most other sites and they get ripped. People say it won’t work for the masses yet they know absolutely nothing of the practices involved.

“It will be the downfall of the league if the NFL adopted these philosophies” someone wrote (paraphrased).

“He’s Samoan.” “He’s naturally gifted.”

It just never ends on this site. You guys pride yourself on being different than anyone in your gym, then you are exposed to something different and you dismiss it without even considering it or doing any research because some expert from this site didn’t dream it up himself.

Believe it or not fellas, there is more to life and fitness and muscle than can be garnered from this or any one source of information.

The ref is a bum.
Tony is a natural Samoan.

These will be the last 2 things I remember from T-Nation. Is this the real T-dudes who can’t even give some respect to Terrell Owens for the obvious work he puts into his body? I sure liked watching Marvin Harrison pouting on the sidelines this weekend. Real T-man there.

Adios

[/quote]

You are doing some real selective reading. As I said I hate to generalize about a group of people based on ethnicity/race but every Samoan I have ever met or played rugby with was a very big person.

If Polamalu and I were both in an untrained state he would probably have 30 to 40 pounds more muscle than me.

While his training methods are interesting they don’t seem to fit my needs.

Please don’t talk about TO anymore until next year. Steve Smith is clearly the best WR in the NFL. It is time he gets some love.

Do you think Polamalu would have 30-40 pounds of muscle on you if you were both the same size and weight?

Yes, doing plyo type exercises will stimulate his CNS…however, it was necessary for him to move weight (and a lot of it) in order to build his muscle, develop true power and prepare himself for the pounding he takes during the season.

I would be curious to know if IN SEASON he lifts with the team…I know he works with Marinovich in the off season, just as many NFL’ers work with “their guys” during optional off season conditioning. The S&C program of a team is a pretty integral bonding portion no matter how you look at it…it would surprise me if he didn’t.

In response to earlier “stereotypical” remarks…yes, of course many Samoans are plain huge (Tongans also, don’t get them confused!), but how many do you see running like he does? That dude covers a ridiculous amount of territory on the field–of course that is mostly the coach knowing what Polamalu is good at and adjusting his responsibilities accordingly.

For the lazy people that want to check out some of Marv’s stuff:

www.sportslab.net/about.html

www.probodx.com/

In the past I did this workout:

http://www.dynamicworkout.com/

The cool thing was that I got a good workout and it created very loose and limber muscles.

Since I’m a hockey goalie, being as flexible as possible is a very good thing.

Like has been mentioned before, this kind of workout would be a poor one for certain types of athletes such as NFL offensive linemen. But, I do think that a lot of the stuff that is at least in the video I watched and in the ProBodX book would work for a vareity of athletes such as baseball players, basketball players, and hockey players that don’t need only huge amounts of maximal size and strength.

[quote]deadgame wrote:
Do you think Polamalu would have 30-40 pounds of muscle on you if you were both the same size and weight?

Yes, doing plyo type exercises will stimulate his CNS…however, it was necessary for him to move weight (and a lot of it) in order to build his muscle, develop true power and prepare himself for the pounding he takes during the season.

I would be curious to know if IN SEASON he lifts with the team…I know he works with Marinovich in the off season, just as many NFL’ers work with “their guys” during optional off season conditioning. The S&C program of a team is a pretty integral bonding portion no matter how you look at it…it would surprise me if he didn’t.

In response to earlier “stereotypical” remarks…yes, of course many Samoans are plain huge (Tongans also, don’t get them confused!), but how many do you see running like he does? That dude covers a ridiculous amount of territory on the field–of course that is mostly the coach knowing what Polamalu is good at and adjusting his responsibilities accordingly.[/quote]

I would be scrawny as hell if I didn’t lift weights.

I was always had the smallest build in my family growing up. My brothers are skinny as hell.

Polamalu has the same goals as I do (stronger and faster) but we are starting from different points.

I think the Power Clean is the second most lied about lift in all of College football (after the bench, of course).

The day I heard an announcer claim a 180lb QB have a 430lb clean, I bailed.

Not selective at all. Several posts included this info. Do you have a guilty conscience for buying into the sterotype as well?

On the other hand you are doing some pretty extensive stretching with that 30-40 more lbs of muscle assertion.

As far as TO goes, fair enough. But you nor anyone else was saying this 2-3 weeks ago in that garbage thread about T-NFL’rs. Seems like a good time to jump on his bandwagon though! He is impressive.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
I think the Power Clean is the second most lied about lift in all of College football (after the bench, of course).

The day I heard an announcer claim a 180lb QB have a 430lb clean, I bailed.[/quote]

And right after that comes 40 times

And after that comes jump and reach

And then height and weight

And then…