Troubleshooting my Deadlift

So, I would greatly appreciate some help with my deadlift.

I’ve been trying to get my powerlifts up, and I’ve had success with the bench and squats, but for some reason my deadlift seems to be lagging. I’ve been doing a one lift a day type protocol and initially all my numbers were going up steadily. For the past 2 weeks or so, I haven’t been able to get my deadlift up though.

I’ve tried taking 3 or 4 days off then coming back, but that didn’t seem to work. I figure I’m eating enough, since my other lifts are still going up, same goes for recovery. I haven’t been able to get past 360 yet, I’ve tried adding just 5 pounds, but that didn’t seem to work

Also, there’s something off in my form, and I can’t figure out how to fix it. I can get the weight off the floor, but after lockout, the bar tips way, way to the left and hits the ground before the right side. This happens whether I lift with both hands facing me, or my left hand facing out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if I haven’t given enough info for you guys to help, let me know. Thanks a lot in advance.

Send in 3 videos. One at a light weight, one at medium weight, and one where you do it heavy enough that you tip to the left.

Alrighty, I’ll try and get the videos up and running soon.

Sorry for the delay, my computer got bogged down with a virus. Here’s a video of a light dl, no problem with the tipping or anything. It’s 200 pounds, if you’re wondering.

Alright, apparently this video was paused, so it has me doing two lifts. Sorry about that, I didn’t realize till now. Anyway, the first one is at 270 pounds. The second one is at 300, and there’s a bit of a tip to the left on the negative portion.

Couple things here:

1. Your hips are rising much too quickly, basically turning this into a stiff leg deadlift. Try to visualize pushing through the floor with your heels instead of pulling up on the weight.

2. Looks like your lower back is curving a bit in the first video, which you mentioned is a light weight for you. With heavier lifts your form might be much further off.

3. Really focus on keeping your arms straight, try flexing your triceps. Looks like you’re involving your upper body a bit, the arms should just hang loose.

4. Keep your chest out, drop your hips down further, and don’t look down. Might want to try some mobility exercises as well. That’ll help keep your back straight.

5. As the bar clears your knees, you should thrust your hips forward. The lockout should end with your legs straight and the bar completely lifted simultaneously. When you get the hang of it the entire lift is one smooth motion.

I see your point in for the first one, I actually felt that my heels were coming off the ground during the lift. The fourth and fifth ones are also very helpful. Sorry if I sound lazy, but do you have any specific mobility exercises in mind? If not I’ll search for them. Thanks a lot for all the tips.

Try this: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085

[quote]blaine.denton wrote:
I see your point in for the first one, I actually felt that my heels were coming off the ground during the lift. The fourth and fifth ones are also very helpful. Sorry if I sound lazy, but do you have any specific mobility exercises in mind? If not I’ll search for them. Thanks a lot for all the tips.
[/quote]

Actually the opposite should happen when you DL. You should feel your toes lift, NOT the heels. You should drive with the heels. That will help engage the entire posterior chain.

When you set up, make sure your back is staright. Stick your butt out and chest up in front. Someone standing in front of you should be able to read what’s on the front of your t-shirt.

TNT

Feet and hands closer together. It gives you better leverage. Trust me.

Add DB rows good mornings and deadlift stance leg presse into your routine if you need assesory work.

what’s your routine look like now?

Sorry for the delay, my computer got bogged down with a virus. Here’s a video of a light dl, no problem with the tipping or anything. It’s 200 pounds, if you’re wondering.[/quote]

Horrible form!!

Alright, apparently this video was paused, so it has me doing two lifts. Sorry about that, I didn’t realize till now. Anyway, the first one is at 270 pounds. The second one is at 300, and there’s a bit of a tip to the left on the negative portion.[/quote]

Hideous form!!!

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
blaine.denton wrote:

Actually the opposite should happen when you DL. You should feel your toes lift, NOT the heels. You should drive with the heels. That will help engage the entire posterior chain.

When you set up, make sure your back is staright. Stick your butt out and chest up in front. Someone standing in front of you should be able to read what’s on the front of your t-shirt.

TNT

[/quote]
feel your toes lift??? you wanna pop a knee or something? WTF?

[quote]pachell wrote:
Try this: http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I remember reading it some time ago, but never found the time to apply it.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
blaine.denton wrote:

TNT

[/quote]

Sorry for being unclear, I meant that yeah, you were right, because my heels did lift, which is bad. I’ve always had problems with keeping my back straight, due to horrible posture. But I’m working on it. Thanks for the tips.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Feet and hands closer together. It gives you better leverage. Trust me.

Add DB rows good mornings and deadlift stance leg presse into your routine if you need assesory work.

what’s your routine look like now?[/quote]

I usually move my hands closer when I try for max efforts.

I’m doing the one lift a day program, with assistance lifts after the big ones. I have one day for each of the power lifts, and one for rows as well. I just started doing good mornings, and DB rows, but not the deadlift stance presses.

[quote]Damner wrote:
blaine.denton wrote:
Alright, apparently this video was paused, so it has me doing two lifts. Sorry about that, I didn’t realize till now. Anyway, the first one is at 270 pounds. The second one is at 300, and there’s a bit of a tip to the left on the negative portion.

Hideous form!!![/quote]

Not particularly useful are you? I realize that my form is not good, which is why I started the thread. But other than that, thank you pointing that out, with a double post nonetheless. Bravo.

Damner wrote:
blaine.denton wrote:

Hideous form!!!

Not particularly useful are you? I realize that my form is not good, which is why I started the thread. But other than that, thank you pointing that out, with a double post nonetheless. Bravo.[/quote]

i just don’t want you to walk with a bookback 10 years from now.

[quote]Damner wrote:
blaine.denton wrote:
Damner wrote:
blaine.denton wrote:

Hideous form!!!

Not particularly useful are you? I realize that my form is not good, which is why I started the thread. But other than that, thank you pointing that out, with a double post nonetheless. Bravo.

i just don’t want you to walk with a bookback 10 years from now.
[/quote]

Alrighty, I’m just saying that pointing out the form is bad, without giving any advice, isn’t very helpful.