T Nation

Trouble Yawning

No matter how much sleep I get, I always have the urge to yawn, with the worst part being that I cant! Sure, sometimes I get lucky and the yawn actually occurs, but more times than not it just stays stuck in my chest and I go throught the day feeling annoyed.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? My doctor could’nt find anything wrong with me, and this has been happening on and off for a little more than a year now.

Maybe your yawn caught teh ghey?

I’ve been having the exact same thing for the past two years, and that’s exactly how I describe it. It’s a constant urge to yawn that briefly goes away when I do manage to yawn, but it quickly comes back.

I find it’s usually absent when i wake up, but the feeling intensifies as the day progresses… up to a point anyways. I seem to get bouts of it that last a month or two with a few months of “remission” in between.

I’ve only seen one doctor about it, and I think he was annoyed to be seeing me about it because he just gave me a few muscle relaxants and said it was probably anxiety.

In class, we were practicing ventilating each other with BVMs, and my teacher was demonstrating it on me and said I had a really tight chest. I’m wondering if I should be pushing for a chest X-ray.

What sort of tests did your doc do?

I think it has to do with your breathing, trying making an effort to take a deep breath every few minutes may help a little

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
I’ve been having the exact same thing for the past two years, and that’s exactly how I describe it. It’s a constant urge to yawn that briefly goes away when I do manage to yawn, but it quickly comes back.

I find it’s usually absent when i wake up, but the feeling intensifies as the day progresses… up to a point anyways. I seem to get bouts of it that last a month or two with a few months of “remission” in between.

I’ve only seen one doctor about it, and I think he was annoyed to be seeing me about it because he just gave me a few muscle relaxants and said it was probably anxiety.

In class, we were practicing ventilating each other with BVMs, and my teacher was demonstrating it on me and said I had a really tight chest. I’m wondering if I should be pushing for a chest X-ray.

What sort of tests did your doc do?

[/quote]

Isn’t it the most annoying thing in the world?!

My doctor didn’t run any tests on me and pretty much said the same thing as yours did, but also threw in there that it could be exercised induced asthma because its really pronounced when I’m doing high intensity stuff, but I’m not sure thats the case.

She gave me some paperwork to get a pulminary x-ray I do believe, so I’m going to look into that and see if it helps figure out what the hell is going on.

It’s a symptom of high anxiety, if that sheds any light.

[quote]Sayjin wrote:but also threw in there that it could be exercised induced asthma because its really pronounced when I’m doing high intensity stuff, but I’m not sure thats the case.
[/quote]

That’s most certainly not the case for me as it’s less pronounced when I’m exercising.

When you get that chest x-ray, I’d be interested in hearing if anything shows up.

As for it being anxiety, that’s what the one doctor I saw thought it was despite my answers to all of his questions clearly painting an anxiety-free picture.

Well I know this thread is really old but I also have a problem similar to this…feels like I have to yawn/take a deep breathe but I can’t do it and then after awhile I’ll be able to get a deep breathe in…and then the cylce repeats…

The weird thing about this all is…it only happens when i’m just sitting around doing nothing…like chillin in my room or in a meeting or something…not when i’m exercising at all…

anyone have any thoughts about what the hell this is?

Try reading Obama’s book…