Trouble With Good Mornings

I have trouble doing good mornings because my shoulder flexibility stinks and I cant hold the bar without pain. So I want to know whats the difference between good mornings and stiff legged dead lifts.

Goodmorning - exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html

SLDL - exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBStraightLegDeadlift.html

They both work your hamstrings only the SLDL brings your back into play a bit more as far as stabilizers.
I usually do SLDL but sometimes do GMs too because they feel a bit different.

GM’s work the erectors hard as well as hammies.

Doing GM’s with a straight bar is painful on the shoulders, you need to use a bow bar, safety squat bar or a camber bar to avoid shoulder issues.

What is goal with GM’s or SLDL’s? You could do deadlifts conventional stance and sumo and hit the same muscles groups (and more).

I dont have a safety bar so, I use some foam ( for wrapping pipe. You can get it at home depot )on the bar. It lets it ride higher on your neck W/O so much discomfort.
God Bless Lonnie

[quote]Mrmom61 wrote:
I have trouble doing good mornings because my shoulder flexibility stinks and I cant hold the bar without pain. So I want to know whats the difference between good mornings and stiff legged dead lifts.[/quote]

If performed properly the only real difference (in my opinion) is the need for actively pulling with the scapulae in the RDL. Provides an extra bit of systemic stress attempting to keep the bar close to the legs.

But the major lower body muscles worked are the same. Lower back and hams. Both movements have the rear end being projected backward and the bar in front of the knees.

You don’t have to go so low that the bar rolls on you, either. JUst hit the same depth consistently and raise weight when it becomes easy.