Trouble Sleeping After Working Out

I am 38 and I have gotten back in to working out in the past couple of months. I usually work out 3 times per week in the afternoon at about 4:30 or 5:00 PM.

On the days that I work out, I am having a lot of trouble getting to sleep at night. I sleep much better on my off days, but I am so tired from the lack of sleep the night before.

I have noticed that this pattern holds even if I work out in the morning on Saturday.

Any ideas to help me sleep better?

Thanks

Sleeping problems can be brought on by neurotransmitter depletion following exercise. Here’s a page that has some good advice on nutritional support for hormones and neurotransmitters.

http://www.tigardholistic.com/raffety/neurotransmitters.htm

Good luck!

On weekdays I frequently don’t start my training until 7:30 pm. by the time I get warmed up and start my work sets it’s usually past 8 p.m./ as soon as I get done I bathe, make myself some chamomile tea. And just sit on the couch and let my body cool down for a bit.

Usually by 11 I’m good and can get to sleep. If I still can’t sleep, then I knock back some Nyquil and it’s off to my drug-induced dreamland.