T Nation

Trouble....or minor set back...

I wrote just recently about starting a life style change in December. I was planning on taking a weight gainer (Im 6’4 155 pounds) I was going to change my diet and start lifting. The trouble or minor set back is that I just got my second collapsed lung. They call it spontaneous phneuothorax. Subsequently I dont need surgery this time but it will 9 weeks before I can do exercise. So much for the plan??? What about gaining weight? Can I still just consume the calories and gain weight or will my body just get rid of this? Do I need the lifting to put the weight on. I cant wait 9 weeks!
Thanks

without the lifting, you aren’t going to be stimulating your muscles in a way that would make them want to grow. If you consume excess calories in this state you’re likely to just put fat weight on.

hat does the spontaneous phneuothrax come from? Good luck on your recovery. I think you should wait until you’re fully healed before you mess with something as essential as a lung, but you probably already know that.

Good luck again
Adam Marshall

Now THAT’s a problem!

is there a medical reason you need to put on body weight, and by such do you mean lean mass or just general weight. I would worry more about your health. That is way more important then training or looking a certain way. You might want to talk to your doctors and see if they want to put you on anabolics. get well soon, pk

is there a medical reason you need to put on body weight, and by such do you mean lean mass or just general weight. I would worry more about your health. That is way more important then training or looking a certain way. You might want to talk to your doctors and see if they want to put you on anabolics. get well soon, pk

Man, I’m really sorry to hear that. There can be nothing so frustrating, as I think most of the other readers of this forum will agree. I remember when I was in hospital once, ripping out my IV so I could go for a walk round the hospital, I was so sick of lying there (Told them later I had caught it on the bed!)
However, my best advice would be to TALK TO YOUR DOCTORS and explain exactly what you said here. There’s no shame in wanting to get fitter/stronger! Your doctors hopefully will be able to get you a liaison with a certified Physio, who can try to help you work arounsd the problem. (Hopefully there’ll be experts there who’ve dealt with the same situation in the past). As you might know, the problem with Pneumothorax is that the lung walls actually rip away from the body wall on the inside. Given rest, and no disruption/trauma, they can reattatch themselves. Strenuous exercise I fear WILL be too much for this to occur.
So, I reckon stretching/tension exercises might be ok, but nothing more- CHECK WITH YOUR PHYSIO.
As far as the weight gain thing goes, leave it. Just eat HEALTHY, with plenty of protein to preserve the muscle mass you have. (Studies in rats have shown a greatly reduced amount of muscle loss with sedentary lifestyle, ie no exercise, if higher dietary protein is fed).
9 weeks isn’t that long in the whole scheme of things right? You’ve got years to build a great body.
See you in the gym in 2-3 months!!
SRS

Calories that are not burned by the body for energy or used to build muscle are stored as FAT. Once a person’s FAT, their body is even more inclined to store excess calories as FAT even when the excess calories are combined with weightlifting. And many men have Estrogen levels increase in the presence of high bodyFAT which means they will be more inclined to storing those excess calories as the most stubborn type of FAT.

You can wait nine weeks. It’s a mental thing, not a physical one. Right?