T Nation

Trouble Keeping Whey Down

I take ON whey protein, I’ve noticed that my body feels like it is rejecting the protein. Is there anybody else who has this problem? I’m pretty sure it isn’t a dairy allergy although I could be wrong.

are you taking it close to your workout time before or during ? many people have trouble keeping down any food during training so they have a solid meal 1-2 hours before training, if you are having this problem regardless of the time of the day when you take it then it sounds like an allergy/sensitivity issue

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
I take ON whey protein, I’ve noticed that my body feels like it is rejecting the protein.[/quote]

What do you mean by this? Exactly which symptoms are you experiencing?

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
I’m pretty sure it isn’t a dairy allergy although I could be wrong. [/quote]

Do you have the same issues with other dairy products?

If so, you probably don’t tolerate dairy. This should be fairly obvious to you.

I don’t know how to explain it, my stomach will hurt. I will get nausea on occasion. It kinda feels like I just ate a crap load of junk and this is the shitty after effect.

Thats why I don’t think it is an allergy. I can drink a full gallon of milk a day with no problem(I don’t but you get the idea). I eat yogurt and cheese both with no problems.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
I don’t know how to explain it, my stomach will hurt. I will get nausea on occasion. It kinda feels like I just ate a crap load of junk and this is the shitty after effect.

Thats why I don’t think it is an allergy. I can drink a full gallon of milk a day with no problem(I don’t but you get the idea). I eat yogurt and cheese both with no problems. [/quote]

You should try another brand of protein.

Despite with what their ads say, I’ve never found ON to be high quality.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
Thats why I don’t think it is an allergy. I can drink a full gallon of milk a day with no problem(I don’t but you get the idea). I eat yogurt and cheese both with no problems. [/quote]

The concentration in a whey powder will be many times higher than in whole milk. Perhaps you have only a mild imperceptable reaction to other dairy but the concentration in a supplement powder may be too high for you.

Think of it like a sunburn. 15 minutes in the sun causes a reaction but it may go unoticed. Stay in the sun for 3 hours and you’ll be severely burned (if you have the skin type to be burned).

Have you experienced this with other brands/types of protein?

To make it worse I spent 100$ on 3 HUGE things of the shit. I don’t remember having the problem when I took Surge Recovery. Since that was the one I took before this I don’t remember.