Trouble Getting Started

I haven’t worked out for a year now and I can notice the difference. What are some of your tricks to start up again?

Also whenever im doing cardio I get dizzy and my chest feels heavy. But it more or less goes away after working out. What causes that? And is there anything you may do to prevent it?

I have an inhaler, but im also prone to fainting. I know this isnt a medical website but I just wonder if anyone else has had this issue. Any help or response is appreciated.

Try caffeine, when Im not feeling it I take like 400 mg and Im bouncing off the walls.

Sounds like your just out of shape cardio wise, build up to your old pace slowly, you cant jump right back in to you old ways.

Building up to your old levels of endurance and strength usually doesn’t take more than a month, so its not something that you have to worry about…just drink lots of water to keep your body full of oxygen and hydrated, stay moderately active out of the gym(walk an extra mile or whatever), and take nice deep breaths.

I’d go check with a doc if you’re getting issues like dizziness. You said you had an inhaler so I’m guessing you have asthma?

Better go check with a doc to make sure all is good, then hit it as hard as your body will allow. Be patient and work hard.

[quote]GoodGrrl55 wrote:
I haven’t worked out for a year now and I can notice the difference. What are some of your tricks to start up again?

Also whenever im doing cardio I get dizzy and my chest feels heavy. But it more or less goes away after working out. What causes that? And is there anything you may do to prevent it?

I have an inhaler, but im also prone to fainting. I know this isnt a medical website but I just wonder if anyone else has had this issue. Any help or response is appreciated.[/quote]

When walking around in public (ya I know I mean) take a look at most of the people. Majority are sluggish, getting fat and probably look older then they really are. I do this to myself all the time and it helps me not start on the pathway to becoming just “another” lazy excuse making person.

If you actually have that much time to think and come on here to ask something like this. Then you are wasting alot of time in your day. Get up, do something!

As for the medical thing, I wouldn’t use advice here for that and you summed up it your own words. This is not a medical website. Call your doctor, setup a checkup. Could be the beginning of something.

Most likely though you’re in so much of a hurry to get back to where you were and pushing yourself maybe to hard. Just an assumption, but like I said don’t take it from me get an experts opinion if you continue to get this “dizzy” feeling.

Don’t just focus on cardio hit some weights to, light weight high reps more bang for your buck then doing a whole bunch of cardio.

Only time I get dizzy is on heavy deadlifts and squats. It comes with the intensity of the lift though.

as long as you’re warming up thoroughly I wouldn’t worry about it.
As the others have said its probably just a lack of fitness.

Getting a ton of water in about half an hour before you work out and lots of sips during training can really help.

i really appreicate all your input my doc said i need to work out to NOT be dizzy. gotta work my heart to get strong. he said start with walking and free wieghts to get started. dr’s orders!!!

my tricks include lifting weights for starters.

[quote]GoodGrrl55 wrote:
i really appreicate all your input my doc said i need to work out to NOT be dizzy. gotta work my heart to get strong. he said start with walking and free wieghts to get started. dr’s orders!!![/quote]

hmmm…sounds like a doc who actually knows soemthing.

good luck with it all.

No offense, there are no real tricks to getting started and getting into shape. It is a mistake to be looking for the easy way right out of the gate.

Just get it done.

As for the issues with being out of shape, pick some exercise that is safe so that if you were to faint it wouldn’t be disasterous.

Brisk daily walking is a start.

The best thing I’ve found for getting me in the mood for lifting, even better than caffeine or other stimulants, is good angry energizing music. The kind of music that makes me want to headbutt the nearest person just to lash out at the world and/or myself.

Something that makes me think “Enough bullshit, lets do this”.

Lots of good songs for this whatever your musical taste (unless you only listen to ambient waterfalls). Currently I am kind of stuck on Disturbed’s recent album Indestructible. I seem to play it every second or third workout.

[quote]GoodGrrl55 wrote:

I have an inhaler, but im also prone to fainting. I know this isnt a medical website but I just wonder if anyone else has had this issue. Any help or response is appreciated.[/quote]

as far as dizzy goes, i know youve spoken to your doctor. but are you eating enough? working out on a very empty stomach might add to this problem.

1. go to gym
  2. lift weights
  3. ???
  4. HYOOOOGE