T Nation

Tropical Fruits

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker here for awhile now and have finally decided to post.
First some basic info. I am an engineering student participating in a study abroad in Rio de Janeiro this semester. I ve been here since July and will be here until December. Ive been Oly Lifting for about 6 months now (79 kg, 70 kg Snatch, 90 kg C&J).

I have a question concerning tropical fruits, in particular mango, passionfruit, and papaya. These fruits are amazing down here but I was wondering how healthy they are and if they are going to wreck my diet.

I feel like it should be fine since I eat them in moderation, just wondering if I should stick to more traditional fruits (apples, strawberry, etc) instead.

Thanks

Also, if anyone has eating tips or information about supplements here in Brasil please chime in!

...you're worried about eating tropical fruits? christ, enjoy yourself; you're studying abroad. don't sweat apples versus papayas.

Fruit is healthy. Tropical or not.

I think that tropical fruits might be considered "traditional" in the tropics.

You show me a tropical fruit, and I'll show you a cocksucker from Guatemala.

Thanks, I wasn't worrying about it too much, and so far I haven't had any bad reactions so I guess I should be all good.

Any ideas on supps down here since I cant get my Biotest without paying an outrageous amount for shipping?

Yeah, I think that if you're a competing bodybuilder then maybe you'd watch the fructose, but if I were to eat those fruits (which I occasionally do) and was not satisfied with my physique i certainly wouldn't blame the fruit...it's likely the beer/whiskey/pizza that's doing the harm!

all i know is they're anabolic...

just ask Charles Poliquin...

Someone laughed, i assure you lol

Mangos are relatively high in sugar if you care. Papaya has papain, a digestive enzyme that helps digest proteins (a good thing).

That's all I've got, except to say that mangos are delicious.