T Nation

Tropic Thunder

I just got back from seeing it for a work event. It wasn’t bad. There were some pretty funny parts. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

It was directed by Ben Stiller though, so if you aren’t a fan of Ben Stiller, you probably won’t like this either.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the more we’ve been talking about it at work, the funnier it gets. No spoilers though. You’ll have to see it for yourself.

I think its funny all those people who want to protest and boycott it. The concept sounds like a good story

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
I think its funny all those people who want to protest and boycott it. The concept sounds like a good story[/quote]

There are people protesting and boycotting it? Are they against humor?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:
I think its funny all those people who want to protest and boycott it. The concept sounds like a good story

There are people protesting and boycotting it? Are they against humor?[/quote]

On the radio at work today, they were discussing something about this movie causing some kind of controversy among the “mentally challenged” or something like that. I was trying to listen, but my chitty-chatty co-workers wouldn’t shut up for 30 seconds for me to hear exactly what was going on. Oh, and something about Robert Downey Jr. wearing something called “black face”.

BTW, I’m not a big fan of Ben Stiller movies. Although he can occasionally be kind of funny.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

BTW, I’m not a big fan of Ben Stiller movies. Although he can occasionally be kind of funny.[/quote]

Meet the Parents was funny as hell, muthafucka.

You saw this for a work event?

I don’t think I like you anymore.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:

There are people protesting and boycotting it? Are they against humor?[/quote]

I heard it uses the word retarded or makes fun of retarded people.

Anyway, I want to see it.

[quote]Christine wrote:

I don’t think I like you anymore.[/quote]

Well, don’t hate me just yet. This is probably the only cool thing my work has done for us in probably the last 4-5 years.

When our company got bought out, the first things they did was ditch the holiday party and the sabbatical program.

[quote]Christine wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:

Anyway, I want to see it.[/quote]

I guess I was enjoying the movie too much to see how people might find it offensive. Does that make me a bad person?

However, in the context of the film, I really don’t see how one would see it that way. Have the people that are complaining even seen the film yet?

People over react. They said that people got offended when they were talking about how they portrayed retarded people in movies.

People have no lives and need to take some humor for christ sakes

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:

I guess I was enjoying the movie too much to see how people might find it offensive. Does that make me a bad person?

However, in the context of the film, I really don’t see how one would see it that way. Have the people that are complaining even seen the film yet?[/quote]

I doubt if the people complaining have seen it.

Regardless though, controversy just means more people will to see it.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:

I don’t think I like you anymore.

Well, don’t hate me just yet. This is probably the only cool thing my work has done for us in probably the last 4-5 years.

When our company got bought out, the first things they did was ditch the holiday party and the sabbatical program.[/quote]

Okay.

I like you again.

[quote]Christine wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
tg2hbk4488 wrote:

However, in the context of the film, I really don’t see how one would see it that way. Have the people that are complaining even seen the film yet?

I doubt if the people complaining have seen it.

Regardless though, controversy just means more people will to see it.

[/quote]

Very true. Just hearing about the controversy makes me want to go see it again.

I saw this last night and it sure did tickle my funnybone. It’s worth seeing just because of Tom Cruise’s performance because his role is quite a bit different than what we’re used to. He’s hysterical!

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
People over react. They said that people got offended when they were talking about how they portrayed retarded people in movies.
[/quote]

sorta-kinda spoiler
There was a scene or two with Matthew McConaughey that were a bit fucked up. He was bitter about the kid he adopted, and when they cut to a photo of the kid he looked like he had downs syndrome. I mean, I still laughed but it’s obvious why some people would be upset.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
I saw this last night and it sure did tickle my funnybone. It’s worth seeing just because of Tom Cruise’s performance because his role is quite a bit different than what we’re used to. He’s hysterical!

tg2hbk4488 wrote:

sorta-kinda spoiler
There was a scene or two with Matthew McConaughey that were a bit fucked up. He was bitter about the kid he adopted, and when they cut to a photo of the kid he looked like he had downs syndrome. I mean, I still laughed but it’s obvious why some people would be upset.
[/quote]

Tom Cruise?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Tom Cruise?[/quote]

Yes, Tom Cruise. He’s absolutely hilarious with his role. He’s in costume and I didn’t even know it was him right away.

scorched earth motherfucker!

Danny Mcbride is becoming one of my favorite actors.

I didn’t expect to see him in this after I saw pineapple express last week, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The whole hype about the retarded stuff, I thought it was hilarious. And Tom Cruise? I didn’t know it was him until near the end, but he was easily one of the funniest parts of the movie.

“Just take a step back from the phone…”

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:

tg2hbk4488 wrote:

sorta-kinda spoiler

[/quote]

Yeah I can see how people could be offended by it and it’s definitely not a PC movie. Although one of my co-workers has a sister who’s retarded and he didn’t think the movie was offensive at all. As he put it, “They aren’t making fun of retarded people, they are making fun of actors who try to play retarded people.”

[quote]tg2hbk4488 wrote:
I think its funny all those people who want to protest and boycott it. The concept sounds like a good story[/quote]

Those people are just retarded.