T Nation

Triglyceride Level High

How do I lower it and still have a decent PWO shake. My levels are up from 105 to 225 in a month! My diet has collapsed so I know what I need to do there. I need to get back to flax and fish oils and cut the crap with the sugar.

Can oatmeal raise my triglyceride levels?

If I have a clean diet can I have my Malto or dextrose in my PWO shake?

[quote]jhferry wrote:
How do I lower it and still have a decent PWO shake. My levels are up from 105 to 225 in a month! My diet has collapsed so I know what I need to do there. I need to get back to flax and fish oils and cut the crap with the sugar.

Can oatmeal raise my triglyceride levels?

If I have a clean diet can I have my Malto or dextrose in my PWO shake?[/quote]

Get your diet in order first, but you know that already. Then take quality Green Tea capsules, garlick extract and Panthenine. Also, don’t forget to take at least 30 grams of fiber with water. Or if your diet is already high in fiber then adjust accordingly.

jhferry,

get your diet back in order: cut out the refined high GI carbs (sugar, refined flours, etc.). However, you need that high GI carb after your workout. At this time your muscles have the greatest insulin sensitivity, are starved for the building blocks for new tissue, and your body preferentially shuttles nutrients into storage in the lean tissue compartments as opposed to fat storage. therefore, NEVER skip that high GI carb post workout! This is also the perfect time to load creatine into your muscles.

The combination of eliminating the other crap carbs from your diet and using healthy fats as well as the effects of exercise should more than compensate for the high GI carbs you consume post workout. However, to be on the safe side I would retest to be sure your triglycerides are within an acceptable range; there could be a genetic component to your elevated levels.

Crowbar

I had always heard that triglyceride levels are most sensitive to exercise and somewhat less so to diet. Be sure you’re getting plenty of exercise too.

Unless you value muscle building more then your health, cut out the PWO until your triglyerides are under control.

Dereased carbs + cardio (or meltdown, etc)= decreased triglyerides.

Thanks guys, I got back doing the cardio. I started taking fish oils and Im going to pick up some garlic extract.

Just clean up your diet by cutting out excessive refined carbs which is responsible for high level of triglycerides. Exercising helps the most.