T Nation

Tried EDT Again...

I have been doing WS4SB variations since February, and I thought I'd give EDT a shot again. I thought I'd do the regular "Repgasm" version M F and do Thibs new skinny leg work out on Wed.

Since my last time doing it, I weight ~20lbs more. The last time I did it, I used a dip belt with 10-20lbs. I haven't done weighted chins/dips in forever, so I opted to try it unweighted.

I did the chin/dip, curl/tricep variation.

Chin (bw) / Dip (bw): 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1 = 45
Ez Bar Curl (87.5lb) /Pressdown (130lb): 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 2 = 51

And I was like "wtf, I'm not even tired yet"

So I added in an extra 10min PR zone of
DB Shrug (60's) / Facepull (80lb) : 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 = 40

I don't know what it is, but I was still not 'tired'. I think WS4Sb3 has kept my conditioning up, and my strength.

Should I keep at it? Add weight? Go back to WS4Sb3?

Try progressing as EDT calls for: same weight, less rest between sets = more sets = more reps = more work your body has done.

Oh, if you tried EDT, went and trained westside for an extended period of time and got stronger, then came back to EDT you should obviously add weight.

Well one of the points of EDT is not to base the effectiveness of your workout based on percieved pain or effort.

You could try different variations of EDT.

I myself like to do shorter more intense PR zones.

A 5-10 minute PR zone is much more intense than a 15 minute PR zone. Since you know you only have a short amount of time you wont pace yourself as much and can really push it.

I wouldn't base it off of just one workout. See how you feel after your next session when you try to beat your PR.

I usually don't feel like EDT starts to kick my ass until the second week when I'm trying to beat the previous week's PRs.

note this point, it's a good one

Yea, creating a frankenstein program by combining several really high volume upper body sessions with a lower body intensive program as well seems like a road to burnout. If you're going to do Staley's EDT then embrace it, do it, and squeeze it for everything its worth. Once you decide youre done with it, then if you would want to prioritize your legs why not do so?

I don't mean to say you should forgo leg training during this period, just that you should account for the high amount of volume and effort youre exposing your upper body to