T Nation

Trick to Getting BO Out of Clothing...

I have three favorite shirts that I like to work out in. They’re old and soft and fit perfectly. The problem is if I sweat for even five minutes in any of them, I stink to high-heaven. I originally thought it was me and the amount of protein I eat. Turns out it’s the old bacteria adhering to the cloth…even though they’re washed and “clean”.

After trying a bunch of solutions I’ve heard about online (vinegar, Febreeze, etc.), I read up on bacteria in general. They survive just about anything…except heat. So I boiled those three sumbitches over the weekend for five minutes and they now smell brand new. Kicked my ass in the gym today soaking the oldest one and didn’t have even a hint of BO.

Just thought I’d pass it along as I am sure I’m not the only one here with this issue.

That is all.

Gotta love science, huh?

Although, bleach generally kills bacteria (and you can get color bleach)…for when boiling might hurt pure cotton garments.

Nice. I have some cool old metal shirts that stink like a sweaty locker room as soon as I break a sweat in them. I’d like to boil them, but I don’t have any big pots, and I’m worried it might destroy the pictures on them. Any advice?

I’ve heard the microwave would work too but I suppose you’d have to take care with that.

My brother uses those antibacterial hand sanitizers on his feet now and got rid of all his smelly feet problems.

[quote]Genocide_General wrote:
Nice. I have some cool old metal shirts that stink like a sweaty locker room as soon as I break a sweat in them. I’d like to boil them, but I don’t have any big pots, and I’m worried it might destroy the pictures on them. Any advice?[/quote]

Not sure man. Although the shirts weren’t any different after a 5 min boil (I just used a taller spaghetti pot) than they are after a wash (no discoloration, shrinkage, etc.). However, they don’t have any writing or pics on them so I can really say. I can’t imagine this is much different than a cycle with the machine on hot though; just enough to kill the cooties. Five mins may have been excessive for all I know.

Awesome tip! I have the same issue with several of my favorite workout shirts and shorts. I’ll have to give this a go.

Oxyclean works really well for washing you athletic gear. Especially dry fit stuff and under armor type pants. I once washed my dry fit gear, dried it, and it still smelled funky, so i decided to put it in some oxyclean and the water immediately turned black and smelled horrible. So now about every month i soak them then wash them, especially after tournaments and such.

[quote]jahall wrote:
Oxyclean works really well for washing you athletic gear. Especially dry fit stuff and under armor type pants. I once washed my dry fit gear, dried it, and it still smelled funky, so i decided to put it in some oxyclean and the water immediately turned black and smelled horrible. So now about every month i soak them then wash them, especially after tournaments and such. [/quote]

Hell yeah… Oxy-Clean is some good stuff. It’s the only thing that will remove the nuclear-powered mustard stains I get from eating sandwiches.

loose-gear underarmor shirts are da-bomb.

but good idea when it comes to cotton shirts op. thanks

Ammonia works great as well. Soak garment in a small bucket of ammonia. Than launder as usual.