T Nation

Triceps Soreness of Doom

ok…anyone think Dips makes their triceps sore? Get tired of triceps motions and never get sore anymore? ok…well I have been doing smolov strength routine and this is the 2 weeks of speed and negatives…
well I did 3 negatives for overhead press 2 days ago…I can do 175lbs overhead strict…I did 3 sets of 200 lbs very slowly from the top to the bottom…My triceps are dead!! I cant believe it…wow
I weight 165 and want to gain weight and this program is amazing.

[quote]steviebeast wrote:
ok…anyone think Dips makes their triceps sore?
[/quote]

Yer, Im doin GVT. 10 sets of 10 reps of dips. My triceps are still sore 5 days later.

tweet

yes I know you can still get a great workout…just saying that a heavy negative from overhead does an amazing job…I love dips…probably my favorite upper body movement because its my best…But I found out about this other way of working the triceps by accident. I usually do heavy weighted dips and think its great.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]steviebeast wrote:
ok…anyone think Dips makes their triceps sore?
[/quote]

Yer, Im doin GVT. 10 sets of 10 reps of dips. My triceps are still sore 5 days later.

tweet[/quote]

squats soreness was the worst from GVT. Couldn’t walk properly for like 8 weeks

Any kind of volume training seems to work…at least for me. once the body part adapts…its fun…sort of…well not really.hahaha The squats for smolov killed the first 2 weeks.

What type of work are you doing for your overhead press/squat during the switching phase? And I am curious to how you do negative for the overhead press ;)… A jerk then slowly lower it, or have friends help push it over head for the negative? Also heavy rack lockouts holding at the top for awhile and slowly lowering tends to kill my triceps.

This is near the middle of my first week of the 2 backoff weeks…
First of all, for my first 4 weeks in Smolov:
started body weight 163 after 4 weeks 166-167
Squat…full…all the way down. started 240–ended 285
OHP started 160 ended 175 (could have done 180)

Note: I had not squated much up til 4 months ago…and wasnt going all the way down…
I quickly improved on form and weight

these 2 weeks I am going to get in 2 heavy negative days for both squat and OHP.
Best way: use a smith machine…sit under it. have it up high…let it down slowly as possible
for squats I used a regular bar…with catch bars set low…til my but was basically on my ankles,

I am doing lots of cleans. jump squats with 50-60 percent, explosive squats from a low box, depth jumps, explosive ohp with smith machine, sit under it and throw up the weight and just catch it on the way down…kind of dangerous…

still sprinting.

more later…have to eat

well here is more;;
Basically I think the program calls for a back off from so much power to speed…So I want to focus on that…But I do cleans and snatches before every workout anyway…But now I will do more light speed squats from a low box position and jump squats…BUT I still think its important to keep the body use to heavy weights. So I am trying to do the negatives twice a week. I think 3 times would be too much…especially when you consider that its 20-30 lbs more than my max and going so slowly really taxes the muscle…even though its not a lot of volume its intense. This should keep my muscles in tune with the strength part while I still focus on the speed part during the 2 weeks. I do heavy back 2 days a week always…during the smolov weeks I did back and abs on off days…and even still some back on the smolov lift days.

tues of this week I did the negative squats with 315…did 5 sets of power cleans to start…then 3 sets of squats jumps (light 135)and then 3 sets from a box with explosion (155lbs) and 5 sets of 4 depth jumps.
then I did 1 arm rows with 110 a set of 10…and 3 sets of ab rollers from the toes.
It was quite an intense day…
took yesterday off and tonight will do a bit of shoulders and legs… negative shoulders but only speed legs…I will do negative legs tomorrow…

ok any ideas to help me would be welcome

“10 sets of 10 reps of dips. My triceps are still sore 5 days later.”

Ya Think?, 10 friggin’ sets of a single exercise Juuuuuust may do that.
What’s this Fairy Tale that cycles every generation that thinks that “more is better”?
Who the fuck recommends 10 sets of a single exercise in the first place?
A favorite by word used alot by the Legendary Lee Haney comes to mind…“Amateurs”.

[quote]Karado wrote:

What’s this Fairy Tale that cycles every generation that thinks that “more is better”?
A favorite by word used alot by the Legendary Lee Haney comes to mind…“Amateurs”.
[/quote]

Dont get your knickers in a knot.

Ive been doing low rep sets for years now. I just wanted to do something different and change things up, so I am running GVT.

Geez.

tweet

Stevie, I honestly can’t believe you got away with all of that stuff. All I did was smolov for squat, jr for bench then some rows and maybe chins for elbow health, sprinting was a “are you fucking crazy!?” type of thing for me, and I still got injured doing smolov, and then sick right before testing my bench/squat/deadlift. I had added 10 pounds to my deadlift, five to what I think I could of maxed for bench, and smashed by weight I should of easily done for squats… I later close grip bench pressed three weeks later five more than what I did when testing.

I dont know why it works…I love pain and torture…I have played a lot of sports, have always worked out hard and been really fit…I am 46…so maybe that helps…
I eat a lot and really well, I sleep 8 hrs…or take 15 min nap if I need.
tonight I did 7x3 speed presses overhead…95-115 lbs…
Then 5x4 high pulls with 165
then 3x1 negative ohp with 195
then 5x3 speed squat from a 12 inch box…with only 135-165 lbs
then 2x5 jump squats with 115
then 3x5 explosive step ups with 115 lbs on bar…single leg onto 18 inch step
Then 4x3 depth jumps from 30 inch box

hope I recover well so I can do negative squats either tomorrow or sat…
tomorrow I will do heavy chins and light rows for sure
Also, I ice knees twice a day and foam roll twice

:wink: I will be attempting for a second smolov after my next training cycle (12-15 weeks from now) for either low bar, front squat, or be a crazy bastard and do it for sumo deadlifts. Do you think icing your knees helps with keeping them healthy, or helps with your recovery rate for them?

both…I know that from years of basketball and sports in general the tendons get frayed…So icing them keeps them less inflamed. It seems to help me. First thing when I wake up I foal roll 5 min…all up and down each side of the legs…And back…then I do some fire hydrant stretches like a dog…for groin and hips…then I ice while I eat my cereal…I get those long gel packs…then I wrap each knee for 25 min or so…I am quite sure it helps.

Also, keeping healthy knees means (at least for me) keeping the muscles balanced. Step ups and lunges help this. Keeping that tear drop shape muscle strong helps the knee stabilize.
I would love to try smolov for dead lifts also…It might kill right? Lets hope…haha

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]
Another word comes to mind.Overtraining and atrophy.Robby Robinson said bicep’s are a small muscle like a peanut and easily overtrained. Stimulate,don’t anilate!!!

I dont do biceps or triceps…I only do dips, chinups and rowing movements for arms. dips is a large movement and I can see how one could get away with large volume…but not for an extended period of time and not too often per week…

[quote]johnny k53 wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]
Another word comes to mind.Overtraining and atrophy.Robby Robinson said bicep’s are a small muscle like a peanut and easily overtrained. Stimulate,don’t anilate!!![/quote]

Heh. I heard since they are a smaller muscle they recover faster so you are able to train them more. Sooo ya.

I wish I could do dips but they hurt my shoulders. I can do every other movement with no problem but dips for some reason just hurt the joints.

have you tried therapy…lots of reverse flies…face pulls with the rope and tons of back work?
pushups and less bench?

[quote]ZEB wrote:
I wish I could do dips but they hurt my shoulders. I can do every other movement with no problem but dips for some reason just hurt the joints.[/quote]

Have you tried not going so low? You don’t have to go the lowest point you can when you do them. Whatever is comfortable.