T Nation

Triceps Pushdowns Not Useful for Bench Strength?

Is it true that triceps pushdowns are not that useful for improving bench press strength?

try them.for yourself.

[quote]Bull_Scientist wrote:
Is it true that triceps pushdowns are not that useful for improving bench press strength?[/quote]

Bull - you’re way over thinking things.

Pick a program and follow it for 6+ months and see what happens.

Anything is useless if you just do whatever and have a cluster fuck of a program. Do what your program prescribes you. If you are trying to pick assistance do whatever exercise you want and stick with it for 6-8 weeks if it isnt working swap it for something better. I use tricep pushdowns for 3 light set of 15 at the end of bench and ohp workout. I just like doing them for the pump i can get haha.

Is it true that triceps pushdowns are not that useful for improving bench press strength?[/quote]

food for thought - If one can bench 405, do you really think their 80# PD for reps is is doing shit to directly build your bench? no… It’s another accessory movement to build muscle. Muscle moves weights so in a round about way yeah they work to improve the bench press. I wouldn’t use the PD as an indicator movement by any means tho, obviously.

If you want something that is a direct bench builder you need to work the LONG head of the triceps. JM press, close grip bench, board presses, rev band bench. Slingshot / titan ram / metal catapult etc. pretty much anything that overloads the tris since they can have a work capacity greater than what you can get off your chest. When your tris look like you’rE shop lifting a few hams, you probably won’t worry as much about your bench :slight_smile: = joke - in case your joke radar is fuked up this afternoon…

It’s the same idea as doing leg extensions for a better squat. It might not DIRECTLY impact your bench, but if over a long period of time it helps your triceps to get bigger, you could get some carryover, specifically if triceps are a weak point. Having said that, for bench strength, you should make sure the majority of your tricep work is pressing type stuff. Whether that’s close grip, pin presses, PJR pullovers, JM Presses, etc, is largely a matter of personal preference and what works best for your weaknesses and joints. Try them all for periods of time, and mainly stick to the ones that you get the best results from.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

food for thought - If one can bench 405, do you really think their 80# PD for reps is is doing shit to directly build your bench? no… It’s another accessory movement to build muscle. Muscle moves weights so in a round about way yeah they work to improve the bench press. I wouldn’t use the PD as an indicator movement by any means tho, obviously.

If you want something that is a direct bench builder you need to work the LONG head of the triceps. JM press, close grip bench, board presses, rev band bench. Slingshot / titan ram / metal catapult etc. pretty much anything that overloads the tris since they can have a work capacity greater than what you can get off your chest. When your tris look like you’rE shop lifting a few hams, you probably won’t worry as much about your bench :slight_smile: = joke - in case your joke radar is fuked up this afternoon…
[/quote]

Hmm, why the long head compared to the other two heads?

[/quote]

[/quote]

because it’s the largest of the 3. I’m not saying neglect the other 2 heads, if that’s even possible but doing rope push downs so you get that cool squiggly part of the tris is not going to do shit for your bench.

I like to superset high rep pushdowns with high rep biceps work for keeping my elbows happy and healthy. 2-3 sets of 15-20 with 3-5 reps in the tank seems to do the trick. It takes me maybe 5 minutes and makes a big difference for me.

[/quote]

[/quote]

because it’s the largest of the 3. I’m not saying neglect the other 2 heads, if that’s even possible but doing rope push downs so you get that cool squiggly part of the tris is not going to do shit for your bench. [/quote]

I see, well that makes sense. I didn’t realize that beforehand, but now that I think about it (as well as having remembering the musculoskeletal anatomy) the long head would obviously be the biggest head since it is the longest muscle of the three heads while still begin at least as wide as either the medial or lateral head of the triceps. Thanks, StrengthDawg.

Just for reference this is Tony Evans very good friend and training partner of mine here and he is 212lbs and just hit a legitimate beautiful 520lbs Bench Press RAW on Novemebr 9 at SPF Record Breakers and has been invited RUM7. I say this because he swears by Close Bench and Triceps Pressdown with various attachments. They make up the bulk of all his press day work. So try them for your self and see.

Attempt 2

[quote]Reed wrote:
Just for reference this is Tony Evans very good friend and training partner of mine here and he is 212lbs and just hit a legitimate beautiful 520lbs Bench Press RAW on Novemebr 9 at SPF Record Breakers and has been invited RUM7. I say this because he swears by Close Bench and Triceps Pressdown with various attachments. They make up the bulk of all his press day work. So try them for your self and see.

Damn white box of death here…

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Damn white box of death here…[/quote]

Sorry fixed

When he has the slingshot on he was donkey konging that weight holy fack!

Yeah he is a monster man just left the Pit and he put 495 for 3 up full lock out and 455 for 3 comp paused. Insane monster.