Triceps Pain When Benching

Hi there.

I have issue and thought to share it and get some insight from other lifters.

I recently trained about 11 weeks quite heavy strenght based program including different bench sets of 70-90% 1 rep max ( 2-3 times a week ). Around week 9 i noticed a bit of pain in my lower triceps more near the elbow ( but not in the elbow itself ) in both arms. I sensed i need to take time off soon but last friday in week 11 i did a small test and lifted just 4x4 240lbs.

Two first sets were fine but the last two sets something happened.

From the last sets always the 1st rep came down like almost free falling the last 2.5 inches. I just couldn’t control the eccentric phase to the end because of sudden pain and then i regained control and 3 other reps from set went fine and didn’t hurt. With last set also the same thing happened no matter how much i tried to force myself to control it i just couldn’t.

Stupid that i even tried but… insert any excuse here.

This morning when i woke up, both triceps ached a bit from same area and i hadn’t touched any weights since friday.

So, yeah somethings up.
Too much heavy training and simply i haven’t recovered?
Perhaps i have small infection going on? I don’t usually use painkillers ever so i haven’t taken any.

Only gear i use is sustanon 250 every 10 days for trt.
I’m not self medicating i have recipe for it and it’s from local drug store not from black market.

Could sustanon cause this? I’ve read it can cause joint pain and my anatomy knowledge ain’t too great. Not sure what’s happening in the low part of triceps. I’ve lost track how long i’ve used sustanon but atleast 3 months or so.

Any help and insight appreciated since i should get back on lifting the coming monday, which most likely will not happen :frowning:

Have you gained strength rapidly the last months? It’s possible that your triceps tendon hasn’t adapted like the muscle itself has to the stresses placed on it. I would recommend that you rest and ice until the pain starts to get less and then begin doing some stretches for the triceps. Later on you might want to strengthen the triceps with isometrics.

[quote]Odin338 wrote:
Have you gained strength rapidly the last months? It’s possible that your triceps tendon hasn’t adapted like the muscle itself has to the stresses placed on it. I would recommend that you rest and ice until the pain starts to get less and then begin doing some stretches for the triceps. Later on you might want to strengthen the triceps with isometrics.[/quote]

Yes i have gained a lot of strenght on personal level after i changed from bodybuilding routine to powerlifting based program. I haven’t aimed for hypertrophy almost at all for the time being.

In matter of 2 months my bench max has gone up approx 7-11% ( i don’t have training logs atm ) and some weights that used to be in rep range of doable 5 went up to range of difficult 10.
Even though i almost never lift that many reps.

I have kept the tendon issue as the most likely scenario also.

Have to check up whats up the isometric thing you mention as i’m not familiar with it in general.

I’ve just done the skullcrushers, occasional close grip bench presses and rope pushdown for triceps.

[quote]Divyx wrote:

Yes i have gained a lot of strenght on personal level after i changed from bodybuilding routine to powerlifting based program. I haven’t aimed for hypertrophy almost at all for the time being.

In matter of 2 months my bench max has gone up approx 7-11% ( i don’t have training logs atm ) and some weights that used to be in rep range of doable 5 went up to range of difficult 10.

Have to check up whats up the isometric thing you mention as i’m not familiar with it in general.

I’ve just done the skullcrushers, occasional close grip bench presses and rope pushdown for triceps.[/quote]

What has most likely happened is that by increasing your strength this fast your tendons haven’t been able to keep up with the muscles themselves. Strength should be build up slowly otherwise stuff like this happens.

Isometrics are a great way to increase partial strength but also the strength of the tendons themselves which is great in your scenario.

[quote]Odin338 wrote:

[quote]Divyx wrote:

I’ve just done the skullcrushers, occasional close grip bench presses and rope pushdown for triceps.[/quote]

What has most likely happened is that by increasing your strength this fast your tendons haven’t been able to keep up with the muscles themselves. Strength should be build up slowly otherwise stuff like this happens.

Isometrics are a great way to increase partial strength but also the strength of the tendons themselves which is great in your scenario.

[/quote]

Thanks for the insight and help bro.

I should had known better but i was way too greedy with the results and progression.

Oh well, live and learn luckily nothing more serious happened.
Hopefully i recover soon!

All the best.

[quote]Divyx wrote:

[quote]Odin338 wrote:

[quote]Divyx wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks for the insight and help bro.

I should had known better but i was way too greedy with the results and progression.

Oh well, live and learn luckily nothing more serious happened.
Hopefully i recover soon!

All the best.

[/quote]

No problem, man! I hope you have a speedy recovery.